Magicians & Engineering

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have a question for all you 'engineers'. Pros and novices, young and old.

I was looking on the Wire and all
over the internet for various tricks and methods and props to utilize (yes, I am looking OUTSIDE of my regular Tenyo channels).

Because why not?

And I realized that there is a very, extremely slim chance that I'll ever engineer something of my own other than using what is out there and making my own presentations. I know I've only been in magic for a year, but I don't have that 'engineering mind'.

Before you think this is a sad sack post, hold on. It's not going that way.

The question I am going for is this: Is it possible to be considered a 'magician'. Or a 'true magician' if you never engineer an original trick?

Reactions: Levent Suberk
Dec 31, 2014
Here is one definition of a magician:

magician: a person who performs magic tricks for entertainment

So yes, I do think you're considered a magician even if you haven't engineered an effect. Even if you have, I don't think that makes you a 'true' or 'real' magician. I have came up with flourishes and a trick or two myself, but that doesn't put me ahead of you or anyone else. You are probably much more skilled than I am!
I hope I could help!
-Luke

Jan 28, 2015
"I'm not a creator, I really am not at all. I like to take other peoples things and fix them." — Geoff Williams

Geoff is a three-time "Magician of the Year" through the International Brotherhood of Magicians.

|| Steven

Dec 5, 2013
Boston
If you entertain people with magic, your a magician. The better your are at entertaining people with magic, the better you are pf a magician. IMHO, its that simple.

I create my own presentations, not to be original, but so that it fits me. If someone created a presentation that fitted me PERFECTLY (this obviously wouldn't happen), I would use it. The only time when I create/improve/update the actual method to a trick is by necessity. If I need to change something to update my working style, that is when it is worth changing.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The question I am going for is this: Is it possible to be considered a 'magician'. Or a 'true magician' if you never engineer an original trick?

To be honest, there really isn't a lot of new original material out there. Most of it is the application of existing principles in different contexts. At best, it is a variation of small improvement. To be honest, a lot of the stuff that gets churned out is crap and probably not worth the price for a single effect.

As Josh said, you have to add yourself to your presentation of the effects. Part of that is altering the effects based on what you know. The more you study, the more you know, the more options in your toolbox. That is why I always recommend the classics like Mark Wilson's Complete Course, Royal arias, Card College, Practical Mental Magic and Tarbell. Part of that is changing the presentation to fit your style.

As others have said, a true magician is one who performs. I doubt I' e invented anything worthy of being sold but I consider myself a magician.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results