Magicians on AGT Tonight

Really? So are you saying that magic should look incredibly fake? We should let our audiences see if we are wearing a TT? I don't think so, sorry to disagree, but Piers called it like he saw it *and the way most people saw it*....Dan's act wasn't very good and it was not the least bit believable. Magic is about making the audience believe that you can do "supernatural" things. Dan's act was very poorly exacuted. Its too bad, he is a very talented magician...if only he had done something different....

Did I say magic should look increadiably fake at all in my post?
No I didn't.
Magic should look real, and becuase we are providing the idea of doing something supernatural, at times it is going to look fake, theres nothing you can do about it.
I agree Dan's act wasn't his best, but Piers didn't call out that his act wasn't performed properly, he called out that Dan's couldn't do magic "the proper way." I don't know about anyone else but a laymen telling Dan Sperry that he can't do magic properly doesn't seem to match up.

Oct 14, 2008
Did I say magic should look increadiably fake at all in my post?
No I didn't.
Magic should look real, and becuase we are providing the idea of doing something supernatural, at times it is going to look fake, theres nothing you can do about it.
I agree Dan's act wasn't his best, but Piers didn't call out that his act wasn't performed properly, he called out that Dan's couldn't do magic "the proper way." I don't know about anyone else but a laymen telling Dan Sperry that he can't do magic properly doesn't seem to match up.

Well, actually you could just choose things that don't look incredibly fake...

Piers called out Dan's act because it was terribly unconvincing....which it was. You got all "pissed off" because Piers spoke his mind? That is his job, and when he said "that isn't how magic should be" there is some truth to that statement, magic should be able to fool people....honestly do you think anyone was fooled by Dan's magic? Piers might not be a magician, but as a layman he can still have an opinion on what magic is good and what magic isn't. As magicians our job is to fool layman....unless you are just in this to impress other magicians...which *I* personally find to be sort of pointless.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Masta Ace... you are seriously on mark here and I wish to give you kudos.

In the past I've had some problems with Pier's opinion on certain acts but this season he and I seem to agree more than not and for similar reasons. Howie, Sharon and the public seem stuck on listening to their heart strings pluck away when it comes to cute or the sympathy angle, etc. instead of looking at acts critically as Piers has done.

When it comes to magicians on ANY talent show, the onus is on the performer to do the best they can do and censor themselves when it comes to material that simply is not ready to be seen... such is the case with Dan and how poorly he did the Arm Amputator... Hell, if he had a proper one, they have blood squirters mounted in the table... I'd exploited that due to how Howie reacted to the Dental Floss previously... Howie's reaction alone would have misdirected the audience to a great level and possibly obfuscate the poorly made gimmick to some degree... then again, it just love seeing Sharon laugh at Howie's silliness.

IF you consider yourself a "Professional" entertainer, it is up to you to make certain EVERYTHING is as it's supposed to be for "selling" the bit. If you don't do this and if you do not exploit every possible asset available to you for the sake of improving the look and in our case, deceptivity of the act, you are not a professionally minded performer... someone that takes his/her obligations seriously.

Elsewhere we have people arguing over what is more important; the Trick vs. Presentation -- magic being plagued by folks that think the right set of tricks is all it takes. But owning the equipment and knowing the mechanics behind an effect HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH PERFORMING MAGIC. The Magic happens when you start looking at each trick and understanding how to make it the best version of that effect YOU can do... what kind of lighting is best, costumes, even the size and "complexion" of the assistant/animal working the routine. When you start getting this maticulous with your material you have started down the path towards being a true magician... btw, this is exactly how FISM champions stand out from the rest.

Maybe it's time to stop introducing new tricks and just start learning how to work with what's already out there?

Oct 14, 2008
Masta Ace... you are seriously on mark here and I wish to give you kudos.

In the past I've had some problems with Pier's opinion on certain acts but this season he and I seem to agree more than not and for similar reasons. Howie, Sharon and the public seem stuck on listening to their heart strings pluck away when it comes to cute or the sympathy angle, etc. instead of looking at acts critically as Piers has done.

Your analysis is spot on, a perfect example of unfair judging was when Sharon said that she could only break 1 heart and not 2 when it was the kite flying kid and the two sisters with the fatal lung disease. Instead of judging the talent she rationalized that their feelings were more important. Sure, I'm sympathetic of their conditions, but Piers is right to be honest. I think some people are feeling the need to defend Dan because he is a fellow magician, and are overlooking the fact that his act ultimately failed miserably. Sure, he is a great magician but his performance was not good at all, and Piers just treated him the same way he treats anyone who performs poorly. I would much rather see an honest judge than someone who just sugar coats everything and doesn't judge fairly based on talent. Anyways, thanks for the kudos :D

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
I'm going to try to sum up here and be done -- hopefully with respect for everyone.

I absolutely see where Craig is coming from. His experience and stake in this can't be ignored. I have zero intentions of telling him or anyone else who performs this effect how they should feel about it.

The information coming from the people close to Dan also can't be ignored. The apparent situation As Seen on TV is not the story being told by the prop-makers who were involved.

In regards to his defenders: Dan has also been very personally active in cultivating peoples' fandom and respect over a very good period of time. The loyalty to him is also no doubt helped by his hard work being out there and communicating with people. (My respect and fan status included.)

The more angles that I look at this from - and I'm genuinely trying to look - the harder any easy answer gets to reach.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Let me be clear... I'm very aware of how hard Dan has worked and for how long, etc. I honestly believe he has a niche and COULD expand that niche in a very positive manner should he build up a creative production team and the investors that can get him there. I can see it as plain as day. BUT when ANY performer accepts a shoddy prop that they know is sub-standard, it is that performer's image and potential progress that is going to get hurt (Iet alone the cash lost by way of the investment).

I've had props lent or given to me over the years that were in desperate need of TLC... by the time I got done with them their original owner didn't recognize them... not even on stage when they were being performed. I'd simply taken the time to study the device and refinish it in a way that improved diception and general appearance... that's my job and it is likewise my obligation... what I owe the people that pay my salary a.k.a. THE AUDIENCE! If I were to use something that falls short, such as Dan had to deal with, it affects my pay days in the long run and thats' not acceptable... that MUST be the attitude you take with both, your props as well as the quality of your performance.

One other thing... you don't have to own top of the line props, most of the equipment I've used over the years was home-made or from a low end source such as Abbotts, not John Gaughan, Bill Smith or Owen (though there's been a few). The thing is, even my cardboard props (and I'm not kidding, they were made of cardboard and are still in functioning form 30 years later) look like something you'd find with their signature on them... the key being to have pride in what you use and making it the best it can be.

Enough said...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results