Major Problem!

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Over the past year, performing with cards at school has never really been a problem. In our school rules, it says that possession of cards is prohibited, but only if being used to gamble. Since i am not a gambling person, this was no problem. I was using the loop-hole to continue my magic at school. My teachers knew what i was doing, and some had the pleasure of seeing my abilities. The principle also knew, and seemed to be okay with it. Well today, i got a letter in the mail, we got a new principal this year, and she has decided to reform the school policy. One of the things she has done is make possession of cards against the rules. The consequences 2 administrative after school detentions, and a teacher intervention(what do they think...i got a gambling problem?). Now i am pretty mad. Tommarow i will go fight this new policy...here is my arguement.

1. What i do is an art, the school should not be inhibiting the advance of my visual art abilities.
2. If i am not allowed to have the supplies for my art, then how come others can example....painters and paintbrushes...musicians and their instruments.
3.EX POST FACTO...Ex post facto is prohibited by the Constitution, they cant make a rule like that after the fact that i have already began something.

you guys got anymore ideas?

Have your grades gone down any since you've been performing? Have other students been affected in any school-work negative way? These are not accusations but things that could help, or hurt, your defense.

But look at it this way, yes its our art but what if the tools we use are prohibited... should we be given special attention because its an artform? Its no different than competition shooters, it may be their art but they cannot bring their gun to school... even though its their tool.

And beyond that, there no way in hell their gonna ban coins or money... how about performing with that?

Sharp

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Sharpestlives has some good points.
Also, bring up the fact that it isn't gambling. That you AREN'T doing any con games, that there is no gambling going on and that the only money that is used is your own money.

Take the school handbook, make it disappear, and say "That's what I think of your 'policy.'"

Always works. ;)

No, but seriously, there could be reasoning behind this policy. Performing magic at school can be distracting, and therefore there is a decline in grades and such. But I believe that if you wait until after the entire class is finished with their work, if you still have time, it would be fine to perform then. I'm sure if you express how you feel about it to your teacher, they will be more than happy to see you perform.

If all else fails, bribe them with candy.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
Have your grades gone down any since you've been performing? Have other students been affected in any school-work negative way? These are not accusations but things that could help, or hurt, your defense.

But look at it this way, yes its our art but what if the tools we use are prohibited... should we be given special attention because its an artform? Its no different than competition shooters, it may be their art but they cannot bring their gun to school... even though its their tool.

And beyond that, there no way in hell their gonna ban coins or money... how about performing with that?

Sharp

no, my grades have not gone down, and i am pretty sure i havnt effected anyone else's

and as to the competition shooters, the tools for their art can be dangerous, Mythbusters proved that cards cannot be dangerous, they cant ban paper!

and as to coins...i have a plan with them...
tomorrow, i will go to the new principal...perform some sort of coin trick...digital dissolve, coin bite, silver dream.....then explain to her who i am and what i do, then ask for permission to have cards...if denied you can count on me being at the next school board meeting!

Sharp

My thoughts exactly...

On another note, why make a problem out of something that isn't? Just keep on keepin' on and see what happens. If they ever say something to you, then deal with it when it arises. If not, then let it go.

Chances are, they're just puting that in there to be PC (yes it happens...even in school). They don't want any accusation with gambling go in, especially with the rise in popularity of Texas Hold 'Em.

Just my thoughts...
Steve

Oct 6, 2007
i say just get the teachers that have been there when u performed in the past with the old principle , and get students and get the rule book or w/e u wanna call it and show her

Sep 1, 2007
Over the past year, performing with cards at school has never really been a problem. In our school rules, it says that possession of cards is prohibited, but only if being used to gamble. Since i am not a gambling person, this was no problem. I was using the loop-hole to continue my magic at school. My teachers knew what i was doing, and some had the pleasure of seeing my abilities. The principle also knew, and seemed to be okay with it. Well today, i got a letter in the mail, we got a new principal this year, and she has decided to reform the school policy. One of the things she has done is make possession of cards against the rules. The consequences 2 administrative after school detentions, and a teacher intervention(what do they think...i got a gambling problem?). Now i am pretty mad. Tommarow i will go fight this new policy...here is my arguement.

1. What i do is an art, the school should not be inhibiting the advance of my visual art abilities.
2. If i am not allowed to have the supplies for my art, then how come others can example....painters and paintbrushes...musicians and their instruments.
3.EX POST FACTO...Ex post facto is prohibited by the Constitution, they cant make a rule like that after the fact that i have already began something.

you guys got anymore ideas?

I have always found the people in charge of the schools to be quite stupid, at least most of them. I remember 5 years ago, I brought a tape player to school, just for music. The teacher took it away from me, lol, now look at it. Ipods everywhere. From the looks of it, your argument's are not going to go very far. They have rules, if you don't follow them, well.... thats that. I would just do magic anyway. And if they said anything, I would try to explain it to them. And if they did not care what I had to say, and they put me in detention, then I would do it again the next day any way. But thats me.

The best thing you can do is disagree with them, and talk to them about it.

Aug 31, 2007
interwebz
I have always found the people in charge of the schools to be quite stupid, at least most of them. I remember 5 years ago, I brought a tape player to school, just for music. The teacher took it away from me, lol, now look at it. Ipods everywhere. From the looks of it, your argument's are not going to go very far. They have rules, if you don't follow them, well.... thats that. I would just do magic anyway. And if they said anything, I would try to explain it to them. And if they did not care what I had to say, and they put me in detention, then I would do it again the next day any way. But thats me.

The only thing you can do is disagree with them, and talk to them about it.

if they disagree with me, i will head for the school board,
i happen to know a member of the school board, which is a heads up for me. in my town, any resident has the right, no the responsibility to go to the school board meetings to stand up for things which are wrong. i will go there, and perform...hopefully i can inspire them to side with me, and over rule the principle's decision to ban cards!

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
I really don't find it as big as a deal you're making it, magic as an art form isn't only about cards, as a lot of people said. My school doesn't care about cards, but then again I'm in a small school. It's all your choice though, schools make rules because they see a problem it is causing. If you can find a way to get around it, then good luck :) but for me, I'd just stick to money effects, mentalism effects and gags.

Sep 1, 2007
if they disagree with me, i will head for the school board,
i happen to know a member of the school board, which is a heads up for me. in my town, any resident has the right, no the responsibility to go to the school board meetings to stand up for things which are wrong. i will go there, and perform...hopefully i can inspire them to side with me, and over rule the principle's decision to ban cards!

Thats good, hope everything works out for you. want me to teach you some quick nlp techniques and " special" handshakes? you will walk out of there with there respect, and there wallets! :) (I was sort of just kidding about the nlp stuff...sort of) but I really hope everything works out.

You're making a problem out of nothing bro...plain and simple. Chances are you can keep on performing and the principal will never realize and the teachers still won't care.

If you go to her though, then it'll be a problem. She's a new principal and will feel the need to make an example of someone early on and you don't want that to be you.

Best.
Steve

Sep 1, 2007
You're making a problem out of nothing bro...plain and simple. Chances are you can keep on performing and the principal will never realize and the teachers still won't care.

If you go to her though, then it'll be a problem. She's a new principal and will feel the need to make an example of someone early on and you don't want that to be you.

Best.
Steve

Thats a good point, like others have said, just perform any way, and see what happens.

Oct 6, 2007
i am not sure i quite understand what you are saying....

like the teacher(s) that allowed u to play with cards u know. take them to the principle as a "witness" so to speak so they can tell the principle what the other or the last principle allowed.

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
Just perform. If you get in trouble then take the punishment. Sometimes you have to suffer for your art. Eventually, if they actually DO punish you for it, which they probably won't... you can take up the sufferring artist persona and the chicks will flock to you. :D

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
Ok so I've been reading all of the posts in this thread. I'm wondering why you (BB) are making such an ordeal about it?

The school board has rules for a reason. You having cards with you COULD promote gambling.. maybe not yourself, but someone could take your cards and deal a hand of poker.. if they get caught, they'll point fingers towards you as they are your cards.

School is a place of learning.. math, science, etc.. magic is NOT (as far as I know) an elective. Go to school to learn your curriculum.. not to practice your magic. There is a time and place for everything. You need to pay attention in school anyway.. not practice D&D's jackson 5 (chuckles)

The reason I'm saying this is because my highschool didn't allow cards. My principal told me and I said ok. No harm no foul. It's not that big of a deal.

So what if you're not allowed cards. Practice your money magic.. pen spinning if you MUST be doing something other than paying attention to your instructors.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results