Mastermind Deck vs. One Way Force?

Nov 19, 2015
New Jersey
Everything I read about a Mastermind Deck makes it seem like its almost the same as a one way force deck. I'm sure it's not, but can someone tell me the difference. Or the benefits of one vs. the other?

I'm not familiar with the Mastermind Deck, but a one way force deck doesn't do anything specific. It's simply a deck where all the cards the same. There's nothing gimmicked about it nor does it do any specific tricks or routines.

Rev

Nov 19, 2015
New Jersey
I'm not familiar with the Mastermind Deck, but a one way force deck doesn't do anything specific. It's simply a deck where all the cards the same. There's nothing gimmicked about it nor does it do any specific tricks or routines.

Rev
Thanks, Rev. Yeah, I know that about the one-way force. I guess I was wondering what the Mastermind has to offer. Mastermind boasts a freely chosen card, and a prediction card that they say you mail to an esteemed guest who's coming to your show. They open the envelope after the person in the audience chooses the card and it matches the prediction. But, with a one-way force deck, you can do that as well. So, I'm thinking there's obviously more to the Mastermind, especially since they are more expensive than force decks. And actually, in looking up Mastermind online, I notice that you can show the faces of the deck before choosing, something you can't do with the force deck. Thanks for your reply!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The Mastermind Deck is Chris Kenworthy's version of the Henry Hardin's "Peerless Monte Cristo Cards" sold in 1909 for $3 (about $75 today adjusted for inflation). Each card is specially printed and cannot be examined by the audience. There is no rough and smooth (like an invisible deck) or short and long (like a svengali deck). The deck can be shuffled -- easily by the magician and, with greater care (and possibly some adjustments to the deck), by the spectator. You can show that all the cards are different by spreading the cards so that the indexes are revealed. Any card can be selected and the card is shown (by the magician) to be the force card. This can be used as a prediction but also as an Any Card at Any Number.

Nov 19, 2015
New Jersey
The Mastermind Deck is Chris Kenworthy's version of the Henry Hardin's "Peerless Monte Cristo Cards" sold in 1909 for $3 (about $75 today adjusted for inflation). Each card is specially printed and cannot be examined by the audience. There is no rough and smooth (like an invisible deck) or short and long (like a svengali deck). The deck can be shuffled -- easily by the magician and, with greater care (and possibly some adjustments to the deck), by the spectator. You can show that all the cards are different by spreading the cards so that the indexes are revealed. Any card can be selected and the card is shown (by the magician) to be the force card. This can be used as a prediction but also as an Any Card at Any Number.
Thanks for the info! Do you own one and/or recommend it?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Thanks for the info! Do you own one and/or recommend it?

Surprisingly (based on the number of gaff decks I do own), I don't have one. At the price, I would only get it if I had a specific need for it.

I can easily force a card using a classic force or using a half deck of force cards (force cards at the top, indifferent cards at bottom) where I can show the cards as being different (fanning the bottom) and have them choose any card from the top. Alternatively, I could do a deck switch - hand a spectator a regular deck to shuffle and when they hand it back to me switch it out for a force deck. In one routine I do the reverse, have the selection done from the force deck (which is thoroughly shuffled by the spectator) and then switch to a regular deck for the reveal. You also could use a svengali deck for a force deck.

The prediction routine sounds OK, but it still looks like a card trick. The audience's focus would be on the selection of the card - not the accuracy of the prediction. There are a lot better prediction tricks out there that play stronger. I tend to like newspaper predicitons (predicting a headline) or the show in review predictions (saying what happened in the show).

The ACAAN routine is good (there is a good Magic Geek video on Vanishing's YouTube channel). However, there are two flaws. I don't like that the deck is spread face up and then the card is selected face down. Why couldn't the spectator just think of the card from the spread? Also, you can't hand the card to the spectator upon revelation. But then again, I've never liked the ACAAN plot.

What do you want to do with this deck? I can probably give you a good sense if it would work or if there is a better / less expensive way to do it.

Reactions: Dragonbones

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My guess is that the Monet Cristo Deck consisted of 52 individually constructed gaff cards (thus explaining the high cost of the deck) where the Mastermind Deck is printed.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
This is an excellent and accurate summary - well done!

Do the Mastermind decks have Bicycle backs?

I've seen some negative press on the card quality, and that they don't spread evenly - anyone have experience with a Mastermind deck and whether this was an issue?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results