Mental Card force required

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
If you noticed, I was referring to RealityOne. I wasn't talking about a force. I know he is not looking for a free choice, but rather a force. Reality asked if it would make the effect stronger with named card that was psychologically forced, rather than a normal card force. That is what I was referring to. A freely named card or seemingly freely named card would make many effects stronger, depending on the effect.

Why are you running when you're not being chased?

Sure, whenever possible (especially in Mentalism) the feel of free choice is the optimum goal; I'm baffled as to how often very basic forces are used when there are superior ways of doing things, but this is the difference between those that do tricks and those of us that grow in our knowledge and learn how to create Magic.

This particular response of yours however, seems to be a bit of back-peddling from where you were originally presenting the initial question (I believe you were the OP ???), which goes back to my original point regarding inexperience.

BTW. . . "What's a 'Normal' Card Force?" I've never seen one of those.

I think you're referring to a "Mechanical" or "Slight-of-Hand" type force, correcting me if I'm wrong. You are correct however, anytime you are not physically controlling a deck of cards the psychological affect on the audience is that you are powerless and cannot control or manipulate the decision process or "fate" as it were. Again, this is a basic principle when it comes to working with cards or card-like items within Mentalism . . . and I am emphasizing MENTALISM here in that magicians can still get away with the standard fare they've used for generations; the public is used to it and even expects it. As a "Mentalist" or "Psychic Entertainer" I cannot afford to look like someone that knows his way around a deck of cards; to handle cards like a pro and do all the fancy cuts, fans, smoothness of control, etc. creates suspicion in the mind of the observer and therefor neuters the potential behind whatever effect I'm demonstrating. . . or, to be more accurate, it would betray my claim of ability.

When we first start learning the basics of magic, slights in particular, we see the phrase ". . . look natural" time and again. When it comes to Mentalism making every secret action nonchalant and natural is far more paramount an issue than we find in magic. . . hell, look at how horrible and messy the majority of us are when it comes to slights. . . find footage of Kalanag doing his Billiard Balls and you'll see awkward overcome by clever misdirection and thought. The bold things Albert Goshman got away with are in deed, mind blowing, but such brashness will not work for a Mentalist in that we don't do tricks and the public isn't expecting us to do tricks; we are more in their minds and as such the onus is on us to deliver more. . . and less really is more when it comes to a force type scenario.

Ever wonder why there are so many manuscripts addressing the Magician's Force and how to approach it?

It's such a simple "elementary" force and yet, when you learn how to dress it up with a touch of psychological logic, you can turn it on its ear and stump even the best studied amongst us. I think this is the sort of thing you're looking for and as I've said, you really need to study and not ask so many questions. Find the sources that can give you insight about how forces are done in Mentalism past to present. When you find things like the Magician's Force, where a great amount of material has been written on it, you've found something that is very important that requires a lot more of your time and brain activity.

The logic you are offering is correct, but you must look at each situation in order to find the force technique that works best OR, if it wouldn't be practical to use an index set-up as previously noted, and adjusting things on your end rather than controlling the participant.

I hope my rambling has helped you clarify things in your mind.

Feb 10, 2013
I was not running from anything but rather clarifying for Colin, sorry if it didnt come across that way.
As for "normal", it was meant to be used as "usual"( I guess that would have been a better word). I meant it as the normal way, or most common way, amongst magicians. It was not referring to a specific card force because there are so many commonly used ones out there.
Sorry if this also came across as running without being chased, I am just clarifying.

As for your responses, I understand where you are coming from and it makes complete sense. I have some different opinions than before. I think we have wondered off the topic that the original poster was looking for, so if there is anything else to add on what he was looking for, I believe it would be good to get back on his topic and help him out.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I was not running from anything but rather clarifying for Colin, sorry if it didnt come across that way.
As for "normal", it was meant to be used as "usual"( I guess that would have been a better word). I meant it as the normal way, or most common way, amongst magicians. It was not referring to a specific card force because there are so many commonly used ones out there.
Sorry if this also came across as running without being chased, I am just clarifying.

As for your responses, I understand where you are coming from and it makes complete sense. I have some different opinions than before. I think we have wondered off the topic that the original poster was looking for, so if there is anything else to add on what he was looking for, I believe it would be good to get back on his topic and help him out.

Sorry for confusing you with the OP, my mind gets scrambled quite easily these days. But I do thank you for the mature response, they're so rare in today's world.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results