mnemonica juan tamariz

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Hey guys this is a post asking everyone who has this book to tell me some of their favorite effects from this book. I only received it yesterday and would greatly appreciate any advice or telling me what the hidden jems in this monstrous book are.

Thanks- Steven

P.S. So far the stuff in here is amazing.................

Jun 6, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Wow that really just rude man. To me you were just trying to be a smartass. You couldn't just answer his question or say that in a nice way.

Just saying.

I don't believe he was trying to be rude. I think he was just simply stating that everyone has a different perspective on what they like and dislike and he's just telling him to read through the book and pick for himself. It is a long read but it's well worth it. As for one of my favorites, Control In Chaos.

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
I don't believe he was trying to be rude. I think he was just simply stating that everyone has a different perspective on what they like and dislike and he's just telling him to read through the book and pick for himself. It is a long read but it's well worth it. As for one of my favorites, Control In Chaos.

Well he could of said it like that instead of saying read and find out for yourself.

Simple as that

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Guys...ease the tone a bit. He simply asked a question regarding what were some opinions on the hidden gems. Perhaps he will read the entire book...maybe he will skim. That is not up for us to decide.

To some people a hidden gem may be worthless in their arsenal. It may not fit the persona or style for that performer. There are many varying tastes in what magicians like / enjoy.

Please be courteous of one another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 16, 2010
Okay you just be a smartass again. You are trying to act tough man and stop it. I didn't see he ask for hidden gems. I'm sorry for making that mistake but you couldn't just answer his question in a nice way.

"ey guys this is a post asking everyone who has this book to tell me some of their favorite effects from this book. I only received it yesterday and would greatly appreciate any advice or telling me what the hidden jems in this monstrous book are.

Thanks- Steven

P.S. So far the stuff in here is amazing................."

In response to this post and your post, Nino. You have to actually read and re read the book to appreciate it. If all of the gems are just handed to you, then that defeats the purpose of the search for the good material. Magic isn't just a hobby, it is a lifetime study. I don't believe that anything should just be handed to someone. Again, that defeats the whole purpose of searching for those hidden gems and little pieces of strange that will guide you through your studies of the conjuring arts.

However, I do believe that once the book is read and studied, then it would be appropriate to discuss what we like inside the book and have a good conversation over it.

Hey Nino, how's the weather over there?

Jul 1, 2009
Austin,TX
"ey guys this is a post asking everyone who has this book to tell me some of their favorite effects from this book. I only received it yesterday and would greatly appreciate any advice or telling me what the hidden jems in this monstrous book are.

Thanks- Steven

P.S. So far the stuff in here is amazing................."

In response to this post and your post, Nino. You have to actually read and re read the book to appreciate it. If all of the gems are just handed to you, then that defeats the purpose of the search for the good material. Magic isn't just a hobby, it is a lifetime study. I don't believe that anything should just be handed to someone. Again, that defeats the whole purpose of searching for those hidden gems and little pieces of strange that will guide you through your studies of the conjuring arts.

However, I do believe that once the book is read and studied, then it would be appropriate to discuss what we like inside the book and have a good conversation over it.

Hey Nino, how's the weather over there?

Yes I know that. My thing was that instead of responding the way you did in your first post you should have answer like you just did. Yes I know Magic is a lifetime study but it also goes with spending money(which I don't have)

I completely agree with you man and the weather is okay expect there's a lot of humidty here so its killing my cards.:(

Jan 10, 2008
Why don't you just read it to find the gems yourself?

I'm sorry, but I fail to see how this could be taken as ReadMoreMagicBooks being a smart ass or anything.

I'm not usually one to get in the middle of disputes or anything on here, but I thought this question was a fair one. Quite frankly, I would have responded the same. No insult or negative retort intended. It's a direct answer to the previous direct question.

It's like that old saying, "One man's junk, is another man's treasure." I'm guilty myself of using the term 'hidden gem', but when you think about the term is subjective. While it may be a gem to somebody, it might not appeal to you.

I think what ReadMoreMagicBooks intention was with that direct comment, was to simply inspire the kid to do his own independent study. Independent study is all part of the magic journey. It's how you find your way in magic, and how you discover your ability to ultimately perform for audiences.

That's just my two cents.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
You're not really going to get much out of it just by glancing at it. I'd suggest you read the book, then simply learn the stack and go through the effects that you think you might like. Then stick with those. The book is huge and to actually learn everything in it.. is going to take a long long time.

Sep 3, 2008
ny
Thank you all for your input, none of which I believe was said with ill intention, I hope that my read will be a long and enjoyable one.

Ola

Jul 10, 2009
Lillestrøm, Oslo, Norway
Some people don't read that well, and can't extract what they read.
Then it'd be nice to send them in the right direction, so they atleast know what they're reading is supposed to be good;)

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hi Steven,

This is taken from another post of mine in another recent topic...

Magic is always subjective. I have found fantastic effects that I simply can't perform. It's not me, and I just can't imagine bringing some things to life - yet others make a living off these things... If anything, [asking for suggestions] gives you an easier base to knock off (think about it - if you approach a book of tricks with no idea what's good or bad, you are forced to evaluate, by yourself, what you like - keywords being what YOU like, and therefore what will be strongest for you. If however you approach the same book with 5 recommendations, they are the ones you will of course automatically lean towards and try and perform, even if they don't suit you - it takes away the subjective judgment of the performer which is so important) and doesn't often do you good. So one needs to realise and respect this.

This is why I personally don't often give out advice on tricks - and when I do, it's for a specific purpose, or other particular reason (I think something would suit someone I know, etc. etc.).

Of course, not all tricks are created equal, and there are some tricks that are certainly stronger than others. However, those that are deemed stronger and those that are deemed weaker will always be subject to individual perception. Even when a lot of people agree that one trick is excellent, there will always be people who do not see its value or cannot perform it well - it's definitely happened to me.

That said, there's also much to be said about using someone else as inspiration (there are always situations where you see someone performing a trick, and then it suddenly "clicks" - this has happened to me recently). Whilst you need to be especially careful of copying someone when you do this, of course inspiration helps.

I guess I'll just finish off by saying that you should take Tamariz's advice when he says that you should try and create your own presentation before continuing onto the tome of tricks he provides you.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results