My Ambitious Card Routine

Dec 23, 2013
This is an ambitious card routine that I came up with through some years of putting small techniques together that I learned. I would love some feedback on this and areas where it can be improved. Thanks!

Reactions: CoryH3
Jun 18, 2017
Loved it! A few times the moves looked familiar but I wasn’t entirely sure how the card ended up on the top rather than the bottom, so from a relative beginner I was pretty much fooled.

There was one moment, during the Face up c**l at the end where it seemed obvious, possibly down to it being a well known move or the fact that you could see the move. I’m not sure - perhaps others here saw way more than I did but that’s the only bit that flashed for me. Would a spectator spot it? Probably not.

Seems fresh to me - great work!

Dec 23, 2013
Loved it! A few times the moves looked familiar but I wasn’t entirely sure how the card ended up on the top rather than the bottom, so from a relative beginner I was pretty much fooled.

There was one moment, during the Face up c**l at the end where it seemed obvious, possibly down to it being a well known move or the fact that you could see the move. I’m not sure - perhaps others here saw way more than I did but that’s the only bit that flashed for me. Would a spectator spot it? Probably not.

Seems fresh to me - great work!
Thanks for the feedback!!

obrienmagic

Elite Member
Nov 4, 2014
Orange County, Ca
www.obrienmagic.com
Looks great! The moves were very well executed and i like the fact that you attempted to make it progressively more and more "impossible" with each phase. A bit long for my taste, BUT if your audience enjoys it keep it up! No constructive feedback on my part except maybe to cut out a phase or to for the sake of repetition.

Great job!

Jun 18, 2017
I’m surprised this hasn’t got more comments. This is what we’re here for right?

I agree with O’Brien above on a second viewing that it could be perceived as long. What I like about it though is that, although you should never create a challenge, your seeming repetition of a couple of moves (bring card from middle to top) is not reception at all so the layman must have a ball trying To catch you out. During those stages though the handling is perfect - they’ll never catch you.

I had a thought about this earlier though - perhaps once of those stages could be removed for time reasons it could be replaced by a colour change? The staging is great - as O’Brien said it builds nicely so it would need to go towards the end, but I reckon the wow factor of a quick colour change could really catch spectators off guard.

Will keep an eye out for more videos.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Feedback? Sure.

Your doubles don't look anything like your singles. While your doubles are very convincing, it's a give away that something is up, because that's the only time you handle the turn over that way.

The rocking back and forth from foot to foot is really distracting and makes you look super nervous. Plant your feet.

Personally I don't get the sense of "increased impossibility" from this. Without context of a script or knowledge of sleight of hand, no one is going to know that each way you're doing this is supposedly more difficult than the one before it. It just seems like you're taking a card and putting it into the middle, and then it's on top. Over, and over, and over.

You did have a tiny flash when you culled the queen.

CTM isn't nearly as effective in this kind of scenario. There's nothing to direct their attention to the card stuck in the fan, so your other hand leaving the frame just seems suspicious. I know it kills in person, but you're not in person here, you're on video, and it just telegraphs what you're doing.

Now, all that said - your sleights were on point. Your technical skill is clearly evident. You have tells not related to the sleights themselves, per se, but the execution of the moves is really good.

I think it is about twice as long as it should be, but then I'm not a big fan of lengthy ACRs. Personally, after maybe 5 times of the card appearing "at the top" in some way, I'm done. In my own routine, the 5th phase is the deck vanishing completely leaving the selection behind.

Reactions: CoryH3
Dec 23, 2013
Looks great! The moves were very well executed and i like the fact that you attempted to make it progressively more and more "impossible" with each phase. A bit long for my taste, BUT if your audience enjoys it keep it up! No constructive feedback on my part except maybe to cut out a phase or to for the sake of repetition.

Great job!
Thank you, Will definitely see about cutting out a phase

Dec 23, 2013
I’m surprised this hasn’t got more comments. This is what we’re here for right?

I agree with O’Brien above on a second viewing that it could be perceived as long. What I like about it though is that, although you should never create a challenge, your seeming repetition of a couple of moves (bring card from middle to top) is not reception at all so the layman must have a ball trying To catch you out. During those stages though the handling is perfect - they’ll never catch you.

I had a thought about this earlier though - perhaps once of those stages could be removed for time reasons it could be replaced by a colour change? The staging is great - as O’Brien said it builds nicely so it would need to go towards the end, but I reckon the wow factor of a quick colour change could really catch spectators off guard.

Will keep an eye out for more videos.
I think the color change will definitely be a good replacement for one of the phases, THANKS!

Dec 23, 2013
Feedback? Sure.

Your doubles don't look anything like your singles. While your doubles are very convincing, it's a give away that something is up, because that's the only time you handle the turn over that way.

The rocking back and forth from foot to foot is really distracting and makes you look super nervous. Plant your feet.

Personally I don't get the sense of "increased impossibility" from this. Without context of a script or knowledge of sleight of hand, no one is going to know that each way you're doing this is supposedly more difficult than the one before it. It just seems like you're taking a card and putting it into the middle, and then it's on top. Over, and over, and over.

You did have a tiny flash when you culled the queen.

CTM isn't nearly as effective in this kind of scenario. There's nothing to direct their attention to the card stuck in the fan, so your other hand leaving the frame just seems suspicious. I know it kills in person, but you're not in person here, you're on video, and it just telegraphs what you're doing.

Now, all that said - your sleights were on point. Your technical skill is clearly evident. You have tells not related to the sleights themselves, per se, but the execution of the moves is really good.

I think it is about twice as long as it should be, but then I'm not a big fan of lengthy ACRs. Personally, after maybe 5 times of the card appearing "at the top" in some way, I'm done. In my own routine, the 5th phase is the deck vanishing completely leaving the selection behind.
I really appreciate your honest opinion! And thinking about it, its definitely the card coming back over and over again to the top, but I guess that since I hang out with a lot of people who do card magic, I just got into the habit of having them guess how each phase was done.

And I saw the flash on the queen also, but that was my 3 attempt so I just thought let me upload this. And I definitely agree with the card to mouth, I usually have a spectator push the card in, but like you said, kills in person and not nearly as much on camera.

Thank you sooo much for all of your input!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results