My Least Favorite Comment on Magic Videos

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
"Easy"

That's it. If you want to tell everyone that you know nothing about magic just post the comment: "Easy" under a video. It's idiotic.

I'm seeing this more and more lately. When a young inexperienced magician sees a video that doesn't fool them, they write "Easy" to say that they weren't fooled and possibly to insinuate that the method used is too stupid to fool anyone.

I think I know what is actually happening. At first, a magic enthusiast is constantly fooled by magic online. They quickly become familiar with 4 basic moves. The double lift, paddle move, flip stick, and false take. These foundational moves are easy to spot once you know what is going on and there comes a time in the life of every magician where they slowly begin to be fooled by less and less.

Instead of understanding this, instead of understanding that they are learning, they look at the trick and think that the magician in the video is a bad magician. This has nothing to do with it!

The comment "Easy" also implies something else. It implies, "I figured out the trick, so I don't need to pay the artist if I want to perform this piece". I've mentioned this before, and it is a common misunderstanding. Magic has authors and creators, and in order to perform the tricks from these creators we need to go through the avenues they have laid out to obtain permission to perform their creations.

So the comment "Easy" makes you sound like an idiot. Stop using it!

Jan 2, 2016
California
I've seen this before too, even from laymen. What's funny to me is that a lot of the time, they'll say "Easy" and then give an incorrect explanation or will describe something that is in no way easy.

I think a lot of people don't seem to understand that "simple" very rarely means "easy". Something like a bottom deal is simple in concept, but is incredibly difficult to execute. It's very easy to say something like, "Oh he's just dealing cards from the bottom" but it's a whole lot harder trying to perform it.

But even with fundamentally easy-to-use concepts, sleights, and gimmicks, there is still a lot of practice that goes into making the trick convincing and entertaining with scripting, subtleties, and "being natural".

Of course, laymen sort of have an excuse since they don't have any sort of insight into what goes into mastering a trick or sleight. But it really does suck seeing other magicians call something "Easy" just because they know (or think they know) what's being done.

Seth Hughes

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2018
VA
This forum is stupid and dumb! And stupid! And dumb and stupid!!!!! Jk I think that you are absolutely right, and I don’t think this applies to just comments on a website. Pretty much every time anyone tries to show off their “new skill” at someone else’s expense they end up just looking like a jerk. And if there is anyone out there who is reading this and commenting things like “easy” or “I figured that out” please shut up.

TerryAdy

Elite Member
Sep 22, 2013
Nacogdoches, Texas
www.TerryAdy.com
I find comments and actions irrelevant. When you take things personally you’re letting someone else control your art.
Do your own thing, if someone posts about you or removes your stuff, then simply brush it off.
Opinions don’t matter, only you and your progression matters.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I find comments and actions irrelevant. When you take things personally you’re letting someone else control your art.
Do your own thing, if someone posts about you or removes your stuff, then simply brush it off.
Opinions don’t matter, only you and your progression matters.

Most of the time it's not my own stuff, it's performances of my friends and people who I look up to.

Reactions: Antonio Diavolo

TerryAdy

Elite Member
Sep 22, 2013
Nacogdoches, Texas
www.TerryAdy.com
Most of the time it's not my own stuff, it's performances of my friends and people who I look up to.
Chances are they probably aren't bothered by the comments.
If someone puts themselves out there as many of my friends in the magic world do, they go into it KNOWING that people will have negative comments and say this and that.... It's all part of the scene, unfortunately.
But as any performer knows, if you're going to do something, expect to be judged... A thick skin isn't necessary, but more of a 'lack of what people think'. As long ad they know they're doing right by themselves then nothing else matters.
This is something I struggled with in the beginning, but it's a lesson that is learned once you get forced into specific situations.

Basically, worrying about others opinions is destructive and pointless. If people comment negative things, that's their right. If they say positive things, that's their right as well... All a artist can do is be true to themself.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
A few comments here and there are 'ignorable' of course, but the real problem occurs if such comments are posted on up and coming online magicians' channels. Then ignoring them isn't that 'Easy'. Of course I can't help thinking many don't even know how it works, from the beginning to the ending, a 100%.

But still, I think that the secret-posting or tutorial-comments are even worse. Mostly because when laymen read them, the sense of mystery is completely lost for them.

They claim magic is an art, but are attracted to its secrecy.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Oct 13, 2019
Another obnoxious comment: "Fake"

I'm just confused by this one most of the time. It's like, "Do I really have to explain that magic isn't real?"
What?!?! It's not.... real...? :( My whole life is a lie.

But seriously, that's half the fun of magic, people know it's not real, but if it's done well, they can be left with a sense of wonder nonetheless, and that's all the reason I need to continue learning my craft.

Of course, I have to admit, I'm one of those people who gets bothered by those kinds of comments (In person, not in videos or online, not brave enough to let myself be recorded for the whole world to scrutinize).

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
But seriously, that's half the fun of magic, people know it's not real, but if it's done well, they can be left with a sense of wonder nonetheless, and that's all the reason I need to continue learning my craft.

That's my biggest goal, I want them to bring everything to the table and scrutinize my every move only to find that they have witnessed something wonderful!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results