My time with Team Awesome

Sep 2, 2007
Whats up guys? Marc here and I finally got myself to writing about my time hanging out with Wayne Houchin and Dana Hocking. It started back when W:H released his Thread effect in November and had a contest of the first 200 orders will be randomly selected and saying he and Dana will fly out to where the winner is and have dinner. Honestly, I purchased Thread right when it came out because it was an effect I really liked and waited for for a long time. I did not pay attention to the contest and did not expect to win something like this until about a week later when he sent me an e-mail and mentioned me in his daily update.

I was excited that I won and we exchanged numbers. He had called me up to set a date when he would be coming to Miami, Florida where I live. We set the date to Saturday, January 24, 2009. A week before we discussed where we will be having dinner and we decided to go to a place recommended by Lee Asher called China Grill in South Beach.

The day came and I was excited to meet these guys. I took my wife with me and we met at the restaurant and probably stayed in there for almost 3 hours. Probably took us almost an hour just to order appetizers because the menu was overwhelming and we didnt know what to get. While waiting for the food, we talked about Thread, magic, theory 11, Chris Kenner's house/museum of awesomeness, Dan and Dave, and stories about Danny Garcia and D+M. I asked Dana about his thought process for creating and naming the super dope music on theory 11...having beers and being drunk when he creates it. LOL. Just kidding. When naming his tracks, he just titles it whatever comes to mind.
I also asked W:H if he did flourishes and said he did it back before it was popular and he started with a tape of Brian Tudor. I asked Dana if he did some flourishes and I let him use my deck of 2nd edition guardians and he did some cool things. Looked like molecules but I'm not sure. The flourishes looked awesome. W:H told me that I'm probably the only magician to see Dana flourish.
My best friend, Steve, Qbanlinx on the forums here came by the time we had dessert. Wayne performed some things from Paul Harris and a Dai Vernon effect. After dinner we talked a bit outside the restaurant while waiting for valet to bring my car in. Wayne did his French Kiss trick on me which was awkward and funny...during performance he put my hands on his shoulders and people driving by were beeping their horns. Lol I dont know what those people driving by were thinking. The effect is awesome overall. Before we left I gave them some chocolate cheesecakes and they said if we are not doing anything the next day we can come along with them and hang out. Just give W:H a call and we'll set a time.

Next day, Steve and myself hung out with them on the beach, they were filming some stuff and we filmed some behind the scenes things of our own. After a few hours of walking up and down the beach, we decided to take a break and have a few drinks. We talked alittle bit more about magic and probably after 2 hours they decided to try to film when it got dark out on the beach but lack of people and lighting was a problem so they just decided later on in the evening they will film. We parted ways around 7ish and took some pictures before they went back to the hotel.

Overall, these guys are just great and fun to hang out with. Like team awesome says, all awesome all the time. This is true of them. The theory11 artists are some of the best people in the world. I will include some pictures in this thread.

Thanks to Wayne Houchin and Dana Hocking for an awesome time.

Thanks for reading,

Marc

Attachments

• team awesome autographs 001.jpg
    team awesome autographs 001.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 91
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 103
Sep 2, 2007
Video of this and some behind the scenes footage of our time will go up soon...Qbanlinx said he would post it up here soon.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results