My video response: for Mixed Entertainment! =P

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
What on earth did I just waste 30 second of my life watching.

An inexperienced dreamer's pipe dream and everyone else's nightmare.

Trevor, do yourself (and society) a HUGE favor. Step away from the camera, crack open a few books on ENTERTAINMENT and once you understand what that means, find ONE THING to work with and actually learn to do well; work with it for a year or two in a professional manner (that means you do more than 100 legit, paid gigs annually at scale). Then you can SLOWLY add in another skill set that you've taken a few years to master in a legit manner and can thus, do well. The only thing you are doing otherwise isn't just insulting the whole of show biz (especially the variety arts) but you are building a big, very thick brick wall between you and anything resembling "success" in the whole of the entertainment market.

As much as I detest playing cards, I'd suggest that you actually invest several months learning the basics behind said device. I know of major pros out there who have practiced for decades and still do, almost daily, work through their pass, false cuts, shuffles, etc. so they stay smooth and more so, get better. They are humble enough to LISTEN to others so as to improve upon their technique and in so doing, embrace positive critique. At this point it would seem that you have cotton in your ears and refuse to hear anything but people patting you on the head and saying "good boy, now roll over. . . "

It's time to grow up and get "real" about what both, Magic and Entertainment is all about.

May 19, 2009
I am experimenting on how far I can go with this its all a act. I am going
2 continue to experiment with pyscology and what effects it has on humans minds.
Its even embarassing for me sometimes but I have 2 continue to push the limit of
What I can and cannot do to see how far I can go without letting peoples
Judgements control me. Quite a interesting lesson I am learning.

May 19, 2009
find ONE THING to work with and actually learn to do well; work with it for a year or two in a professional manner (that means you do more than 100 legit, paid gigs annually at scale). Then you can SLOWLY add in another skill set that you've taken a few years to master in a legit manner and can thus, do well.

Do well? lol

I am a master at cardistry and juggling i dont understand what cha mean sir!

I have probably put in more time into cardistry then you do a regular job!

Last edited by a moderator:
Trevor, first things first do not insult members of the forum. Craig is offering you sound advice and by the responses from other people who have replied to this thread I suggest you take it.

You mention that you are pushing the boat out on the psychology in your performance. I read these posts before I watched the video. I hate to break it to you but there is no psychology at all in that video. It is you dressed in what looks like it could be a Power Rangers villain costume with a odd squeaky voice and for some unknown reason you have decided to put resident evil as the background to the video. The entire makeup of the video does not make sense.

I have watched your cardistry videos, and they are good. I have respect for all of the time and effort you have put into learning and doing it. However you cannot expect the Magic fraternity to look good on a video which has nothing to do with magic when it has been posted in a magic forum.

If I were you I would keep to the cardistry, and if you do decide to keep up on the compering side of things please do it out of that costume and without the voice, as I personally believe that it does not add anything to the performance that you are doing and you could do just as good a job out of it.

Simon_Magic

May 19, 2009
Trevor, first things first do not insult members of the forum. Craig is offering you sound advice and by the responses from other people who have replied to this thread I suggest you take it.

You mention that you are pushing the boat out on the psychology in your performance. I read these posts before I watched the video. I hate to break it to you but there is no psychology at all in that video. It is you dressed in what looks like it could be a Power Rangers villain costume with a odd squeaky voice and for some unknown reason you have decided to put resident evil as the background to the video. The entire makeup of the video does not make sense.

I have watched your cardistry videos, and they are good. I have respect for all of the time and effort you have put into learning and doing it. However you cannot expect the Magic fraternity to look good on a video which has nothing to do with magic when it has been posted in a magic forum.

If I were you I would keep to the cardistry, and if you do decide to keep up on the compering side of things please do it out of that costume and without the voice, as I personally believe that it does not add anything to the performance that you are doing and you could do just as good a job out of it.

Simon_Magic

he was insulting me

he said i had no genuine experience, that i am a cocky 25 year old going on 14, disagreeing with what i do at every turn he can, calling me a spoiled child, its time to grow up, and misdirecting me and telling me that i have no real experience. That is so untrue
i have entertained 1000s of people over the years of performing arts. I apologize but people just need to take a breather and just be more considerate of other peoples work even if they dont like it they dont have to be so cruel.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Thousands live and in person for actual paid gigs, or thousands has in your youtube page got 1k views? Because there is a major difference between the two and I don't think you understand that, I also highly you have any idea on what you're talking about as well. You sound just like that another kid your age who came by and made a bunch of troll topics to do some "Social Psychology experiment." and ended up just looking like a complete tool.

Your video has no merit or point at all.

May 19, 2009
Thousands live and in person for actual paid gigs, or thousands has in your youtube page got 1k views? Because there is a major difference between the two and I don't think you understand that, I also highly you have any idea on what you're talking about as well. You sound just like that another kid your age who came by and made a bunch of troll topics to do some "Social Psychology experiment." and ended up just looking like a complete tool.

Your video has no merit or point at all.

1000s live through street performing, talent shows, bars, card magic shows, birthday parties, performing at the baseball stadium, malls etc.

Trevor I see you starting to sail into troubled water. I'd be careful before you go taking pop shots at other members of the community. Doubly so of members who have a known record of contributing solid critical advice like Craig.

It may be true he's a bit old, crotchety, and grumpy some of the time but the man's had a career in show biz that outshines any of us on this forum that I can think of. He's earned the respect he's given and once you realize just how much authority he speaks with (from decades of experience) you learn to button up and just take it.

Craig isn't malicious, he just calls things as he sees them. He's painfully honest at times, and you know what? He's usually right. I've been nice before with my replies. I understand you've gone through some personal hardships and I don't want to tread on sacred ground, but your videos just don't strike me as being professional quality. For what ever that's worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 19, 2009
Trevor I see you starting to sail into troubled water. I'd be careful before you go taking pop shots at other members of the community. Doubly so of members who have a known record of contributing solid critical advice like Craig.

It may be true he's a bit old, crotchety, and grumpy some of the time but the man's had a career in show biz that outshines any of us on this forum that I can think of. He's earned the respect he's given and once you realize just how much authority he speaks with (from decades of experience) you learn to button up and just take it.

Craig isn't malicious, he just calls things as he sees them. He's painfully honest at times, and you know what? He's usually right. I've been nice before with my replies. I understand you've gone through some personal hardships and I don't want to tread on sacred ground, but your videos just don't strike me as being professional quality. For what ever that's worth.

he is very informative and i like his advice and i am going to use it. I just wish he would be a little more considerate and respectful towards me. If he treated me more like a friend that would be nice. Because I am loving and caring person and would respond nice as well. Treat others how you would want to be treated is the way to go!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am experimenting on how far I can go with this its all a act. I am going
2 continue to experiment with pyscology and what effects it has on humans minds.
Its even embarassing for me sometimes but I have 2 continue to push the limit of
What I can and cannot do to see how far I can go without letting peoples
Judgements control me. Quite a interesting lesson I am learning.

I will support you in whatever your dreams may be as long as they are truly what your heart desire, provided you attempt to learn proper grammar, spelling, and all around basic English composition. After all, English is your native language, correct?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
he is very informative and i like his advice and i am going to use it. I just wish he would be a little more considerate and respectful towards me. If he treated me more like a friend that would be nice. Because I am loving and caring person and would respond nice as well. Treat others how you would want to be treated is the way to go!

Trevor, if you can't handle how I have responded to you then you better look for a career outside show biz, you'll never make it! Show biz is an industry rife with tactless, vicious, critical thinking people who might seem your friend in the moment and 5 minutes after you leave their presence, they'll stab you in the back. This is one of the harshest industries to work in and it requires a very thick skin -- it's not for wimps! You're whole fantasy about people being kind, gentle and nurturing is extremely far from the reality of life.

EVERYONE in this thread it would seem, has ripped you to shreds . . . the group consensus is that you are not an Entertainer in the greater sense of the term and you certainly aren't a quality oriented (focused) magical performer. . . and yes, that includes your card work; I've known many of the legendary "Masters" over the years including Marlo & Vernon let alone a skinny Bill Malone. . . you are no where close to having Mastered the pasteboards. . . this is your fantasy and ego speaking.

Psychologically, you are coming off as being a desperate, probably overly-protective child that's not used to being told NO.

You say that I insulted you by stating that you might be 25 going on 14. . . you haven't said how old you actually are and I'm betting I'm not off; you are most likely in your latter high school or early college age years in life, I'm betting on the younger end of that range because of your lack of both, humility (though you've done quite well at seriously humiliating yourself both, in the video and in this thread) and maturity when it comes to accepting critique. You get defensive when someone of authority (dare I say, a Parental figure), strikes you down. . . look at how harsh some of the other comments in this thread are, I see few if any offering you direction, but it was my posts that you lashed out at. . . I pushed buttons within your own psyche which is why I was singled out. (isn't it a ***** dealing with old, cunning wizards?)

Nearly every one of my "mentors" in life have been crusty old farts who weren't much for sugar coating anything. . . Vernon used to actually crack people's knuckles with his wand for doing things wrong . . . this is the reality of where show biz stood back then; you had to buck up and learn and you had to look at hard critique as it was intended; a challenge by your guides to make you better. They sought to piss you off at times so that you would fight and find the fire needed for refining the "gold" as it were. This is true of most any craft, especially those that deal with creativity. Let's face it, many of these people simply hadn't the time, nor the desire to spend time with another dreamer; to weed out the chaff they would be hard as nails and challenging. Over time, as we mature as both, human beings and performers, their touch will lighten and that unique bond Mentor & Student are supposed to develop, happens.

Let go of your pride and more so, your bruised ego. Accept that you are only fooling yourself in this abortion you call a show "experiment" and that it's time to get a bit humble and teachable -- willing to be willing to actually learn how to actually execute proper showmanship . . . not just magic.

Sometimes we take affront to things that are not intended to do more than wake us up. We take offense because deep within, we know what we are hearing is the truth and it scares us.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results