Need Book Recommendations

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
It's been a while since I've picked up some books and I'm getting anxious that I'm missing out. I'm thinking of Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy and Eugene Burger's Final Secrets.

Any other books that I should think about getting... new or old... to expand my library?

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
…well this is odd, usually you are answering these requests🤣 but here we go…
You seem a fan of Giobbi’s work, if you don’t have it Sharing Secrets is a decent read and a concept a week is fun project if you want it to be. That book doesn’t seem to be filling a hole in your collection though, so how’s your coin books? Geoff Latta The Long Goodbye has some really interesting thinking and routines in it.
Really since you are already thinking of the Jennings book it’s hard to off the top of my head recommend another card book…I will think about this a bit.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
so how’s your coin books?

Not that extensive:

Bobo's Modern Coin Magic
Troy Hooser - Moments & Destroyers
David Roth - Expert Coin Magic
Chris Kenner - Totally Out of Control (OK, not all coins)
Kauffman's Coin Magic

I was also thinking of Rubenstein's new coin book.

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
As mentioned above, for coins you didn't mention The Long Goodbye which is worth looking at. Beyond that I've mostly been updating my chess curriculum and scooping up the card magic reprints from this year, though I did get the Jennings book and it seems amazing. I haven't had it long and it takes some effort (physical-it's huge!) and a lot of table space for the book itself. I'd be further along if it was more suited to armchair reading but I don't think it will disappoint. The only other recentish release I've picked up is Redford's Sleightly Out of Order which is nice but a bit Redford Stack heavy so not too necessary.

Next on my list to get are 52 Lovers, Second Thoughts and The Code. I just wish Pit Hartling would get back to work, In Order to Amaze was so good, but at least was also reprinted recently. For Best Title I nominate Every Card You Take, though this would be more helpful if I had read the rest of the book. Will have to get back to you on that...

Reactions: RealityOne

JoshL8

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2017
WA state USA
The sheer heft of Dr. Rubinstein‘s book is something else, it’ll stop a bullet. If you buy this and the Jennings book at the same time alert your mail carrier🤣 I thought you had it or I would have named it. It is a decently organized book with moves sleights and techniques up front, the explanations aren’t constantly bogged down with explaining the usual stuff. There is a whole chapter on puns, It also contains a recipe! There really is something in it for everybody!🤣

Its great value considering the quality and quantity inside. If you want something foundational in your library it’s an amazing book. If you want a peek at some interesting perspectives on some plots the book on Latta is great. Honestly you can’t go wrong with either coin book in my opinion.

Reactions: RealityOne
Jun 3, 2020
I can't say enough about the Rubinstein book and Jennings Takes it Easy although Eugene Burger's Final Secrets is high on my want list.
I hear it's really good!
I've also heard lots of praise for John Carney's Sleights & Insights which I own but have not read yet.
I should add this about Jenning's book... Don't let the title fool you. Some of the procedures are the most difficult I've learned lol. Not necessarily the physical end, there's some complicated and busy stuff going on in some of them but I found the occasional difficulty enjoyable as it was explained well and very creative.
The past 6 months or so I've been reading older books (the classics).
One I've read though that is one of my new favorites is Jeff Mcbride's - The Show Doctor.
Not sure if you've read that one?
I held off buying it cause the name made me think it wouldn't be of much use if I wasn't a performing stage magician or something.
Not true. Everyone should have this book!
I also just read Designing Miracles for the first time.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
@Dustrod Thanks for the feedback. I hadn't heard of Sleights and Insights -- it sounds like my kind of book. Thanks for the insight to the Jennings book -- again, sounds like something I'd like. I do have an autographed copy of The Show Doctor and enjoyed it (did you get yours autographed when you met Jeff?). Designing Miracles also is great -- I probably like that better than Strong Magic.

So here is the list so far:

Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy
Rubenstein's Coin Magic
Geoff Latta - The Long Goodbye
Giobbi's Sharing Secrets
Pit Hartling's In Order to Amaze
Carney's Sleights and Insights

I might need to clear another shelf in my magic closet for these books.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
He did!
In fact we hit up a magic shop and he bought a Lee Earle book while I bought his book.
He personalized and signed it for me.

How cool is that?! Walking into a magic shop with Jeff.

The Bammo Flim-Flam Conglomeration Bob Farmer

Magicana the book by Charlie Miller

I've got Magicana. Bammo Flim-Flam looks great -- l love Bob Farmer. I'm not that into flim-flam and scams but it might make interesting reading.

Reactions: Dustrod
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results