Need to do a vanish for a play. Noob advice needed

Feb 16, 2013
I need to make four boxes 1in x 1in x 4 inches disappear on stage (and into my sleeve or pocket) for a school play. The problem is I don't know anything about magic other than looking through a book called "sleights of hand". The other thing is that the stage wraps around so people on the side will be staring at my side so it has to work from that angle too.

This doesn't have to be done for a month and I'm willing to put the hours into figuring it out, but I'd like suggestions on a product that will give me an idea on doing this. Also, I need to wear a suit jacket, are there specific jackets for this or is there a product that discusses that as well? Thanks and please discuss

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
What's the context? I'm inclined to say sleeve two and use pulls for the other two.

Definitely need to know context - why are they disappearing and where do they have to reappear? Also, do you have a table? if so, black art is a possibility or you can use lapping. If it needs to be visible, maybe a flipstick vanish in combination with a pull. I realize that we are talking in a language you don't understand, but we would be glad to help out once you tell us more.

Feb 16, 2013
Definitely need to know context - why are they disappearing and where do they have to reappear? Also, do you have a table? if so, black art is a possibility or you can use lapping. If it needs to be visible, maybe a flipstick vanish in combination with a pull. I realize that we are talking in a language you don't understand, but we would be glad to help out once you tell us more.

We are still working out the details but I know for sure I'll be able to turn my back to the audience and there will be no table, is there a technique or something special to wear that will make this look smooth? I'll have to have them on me for about 15 minutes where I'll be able to turn around again and make them reappear. Hopefully, this helps with a recommendation?

With respect, DJ

Jan 10, 2009
University Park PA
You say it's for a school play, so what is the play and what part of the play specifically is this for? (If you tell us we can go look it up to get a better idea visually of what you're trying to achieve)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
You say it's for a school play, so what is the play and what part of the play specifically is this for? (If you tell us we can go look it up to get a better idea visually of what you're trying to achieve)

Good question.

Do you want to make them all disappear at once or do they need to go one at a time? Also, are they supposed to disappear in a magical way -- that is, is the character making them disappear supposed to have magic powers? What are the boxes and what is in them?

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I'm quite surprised how much has been shared thus far but since most all methods but one have been noted I'll toss in the more obvious that's not been mentioned -- a TOP IT.

You can do a search on this in that there are many different types -- patterns -- but we are talking about a device that is worn within a sport-coat or dress jacket.

Aug 2, 2011
California
Craig, a "top it" is a great idea. I know Ammar has done quite a bit of work with the "top it" and he should have purchasable material somewhere.

Another idea if you are using a table is to use a servante. That may work.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Craig, a "top it" is a great idea. I know Ammar has done quite a bit of work with the "top it" and he should have purchasable material somewhere.

Another idea if you are using a table is to use a servante. That may work.

I believe Michael's pattern is still on the market along with several others that are quite cool . . . if I recall correctly it was Ger Copper that had one that loads up high on the inside but allows you to retrieve again either low, kind of like a cloth Billiard Ball holder or by simply reaching into your coat pocket. Then there's my favorite -- Sylvester the Jester has a coat-less Top-it that's awesome but just to make one is an easy $100.00 + in materials.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results