New effect I want to share

Hi guys, I have a new effect called "1 in 9." It's a very fast trick which is very open to and relies on it's presentation. But it's like a kick to the head to laymen because it seems so impossible.

The effect:

A card is freely selected (can be signed) and returned to a deck and cleanly shuffled in. Spreading through the cards you ask the spectator to touch/select nine cards at random while you spread through the whole deck. The nine are then stripped out and the deck set aside. The selected cards are dealt onto a table in a 3 x 3 fashion. You then explain/expose the fact that most tricks magicians are in complete control of the selection process when they ask spectators to select from a group of cards, randomly saying, "Ok we'll keep that one, point to another one, ok get rid of that etc." Explain in this case because you have no idea where their selection is, hoping it's one of these nine (1 in 5.777777777 chance, explain that if they're geeks to get a laugh,) that the card they point to will be the only selection made. Ask them to touch any card, and then ask if they're sure that they want to select that card. Then you take it in hand, face down, and then immediately turn the remaining eight cards face up one by one re-iterating that could have selected ANY of these cards. But they didn't, they selected THEIR card.

This main version is completly impromptu and can be done with a borrowed deck with no set up.

I also have a few variaions of this effect too, one with a more 'magical' effect with gimmicks and another as a mentalist effect - which is a packet trick.

I'm in the process of writing up a pdf of it which will be done very soon (hopefully today!) but rather than try to sell it like most people, I want to give it away to anybody that wants to enjoy this trick and treat it with respect.

Anyone who's interested, PM me and I'll send you a link as soon as it's completed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 10, 2007
New Jersey
Nice! by the way I suggest you revised the explanation of the trick because you have some errors, for example you said "their" twice. Other than that its really cool.

Feb 23, 2008
Hi.
I´m looking forward for that effect!!!
It sounds very good, Why dont you make a video with the trick doing it to somebody?? It would be great.

Kyarox

Jesse,

I think the trick is pretty solid and has the potential to be quite powerful. The only real criticism i have regarding the effect is this....

''You then explain/expose the fact that most tricks magicians are in complete control of the selection process when they ask spectators to select from a group of cards, randomly saying, "Ok we'll keep that one, point to another one, ok get rid of that etc."

Why even tell them this? Maybe just confirm that the choice is a completely free one and offer them the chance to change their minds... then give the odds. Otherwise I think this is a pretty great trick. Well done!

I choose to say that because the spectator feels empowered. You let them know a little secret and you're completly removing any doubts they have about their freedom of the selection. So it appears that you're not in control of the magic, THEY are.

But if it doesn't feel right for you, don't say it!

thanks for your feedback!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results