"New" magic

Jul 16, 2022
My criterias ( rules ), when it comes to doing routines are :-
1, I don't do any tricks.
2, Its completely propless.
3, I can tell the truth about what is happening. There is no misdirection or deception.
4, It must be repeatable.
There are other "rules", but these have been the main ones. You could probably tell that i have been heavily influenced by Aaron Alexander.
What do you guys think?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Depends on what your goal is.

If you want to do one-off routines and talent shows like Aaron tends to (he's not really a performer, per se) then these rules are fine. Though I find this sort of material doesn't tend to bare repeating very well.

However, if you're wanting to do parlor or stage shows, then I will say that it's very difficult to create a show with these rules. The biggest danger is that it comes across as pretentious or showing off unless you've got a very good reason to be doing things that way.

And I say all this as someone who did perform like that for some time, but despite my best efforts I could never get a real show off the ground with these rules.

Not saying it's impossible, just saying you need to think about one very important question - Why does the audience care?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My criterias ( rules ), when it comes to doing routines are :-
1, I don't do any tricks.
2, Its completely propless.
3, I can tell the truth about what is happening. There is no misdirection or deception.
4, It must be repeatable.
There are other "rules", but these have been the main ones. You could probably tell that i have been heavily influenced by Aaron Alexander.
What do you guys think?

1. I don't perform tricks either, I perform performance pieces imbibed with magic.
2. Like my life, my magic is filled with props.
3. I lie - but smile at you when doing it and I tell the truth - similarly smiling.
4. Repeating magic is boring. Why not do something new?

Why does the audience care?

The audience doesn't care about rules, they care whether they are being entertained.

Reactions: CWhite
Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
I have one rule, and that's to refuse to limit myself within the boxes of a set of rules.
It's good to set standards and ideals for yourself, but understand that this sort of mindset will narrow the scope of your exploration, and make you dismissive of things that could end up being worth your time.
Food to munch on.

Scott.

Aug 14, 2016
It's good to have a set of rules and criteria in which to create your performance pieces but, rules are meant to be bent, stretched and even broken just like the audiences mind.

Why confine yourself to a box when we as entertainers/performers/magicians/illusionist should be thinking outside the box in order to keep the audience entertained and astounded.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results