Next up?

Nov 29, 2019
UK
Hi all,

I’ve just recently started my Theory11 venture with the Derren Brown set, along with a couple of the Black Friday free decks* and I can’t wait for them to arrive - it should be any day now.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should be targeting next as someone who is a complete novice at all of this, be it magic or deck.

*Unfortunately I didn’t realise how important it was for me to hit the $150 order mark to qualify for the Gold Artisans. If, and obviously it’s a massive if, anyone has a spare set they’d be willing to part with at a reasonable price I would be interested (I hope this is okay to post)

Thank you all in advance for any of your suggestions.

Kyle

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It really depends on where you want to perform and for whom. Then the pathway splits in various directions.

Pick up a good book like Joshua Jay's complete course of magic (it comes with a dvd), or Mark Wilson's Complete Course. Find a piece of magic in there and imagine the best possible performance of that piece. Then practice till you get that piece of magic down.

Get good at 3 tricks that work for your venue. Perfect these three tricks and keep them fresh, then when someone asks you to perform you are prepared.

Nov 29, 2019
UK
It really depends on where you want to perform and for whom. Then the pathway splits in various directions.

Pick up a good book like Joshua Jay's complete course of magic (it comes with a dvd), or Mark Wilson's Complete Course. Find a piece of magic in there and imagine the best possible performance of that piece. Then practice till you get that piece of magic down.

Get good at 3 tricks that work for your venue. Perfect these three tricks and keep them fresh, then when someone asks you to perform you are prepared.

Hi Josh,

I appreciate the reply.
In terms of performing and who to, it wouldn’t be for any professional use or anything like that - just to learn, appreciate and perform as a hobbyist to friends, family and coworkers.

I’ve just looked into the book you mentioned. Seems a great suggestion, however is there anything similar that focuses mainly on card effects in a similar way? Or perhaps a killer card trick on here that everyone should learn, kinda thing?

thanks again for your help.

Dec 18, 2019
As far as decks go, I recommend Bicycle Rider Backs. Cheap, fairly easy to find, with the same solid quality finish and stock. You’ll be going through decks learning and trying new things, and it hurts a lot less when it’s only a couple dollars.
I practice new things with rider backs, and get practice and perfection with whatever is available.

I am a Magician

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2018
Hi Josh,

I appreciate the reply.
In terms of performing and who to, it wouldn’t be for any professional use or anything like that - just to learn, appreciate and perform as a hobbyist to friends, family and coworkers.

I’ve just looked into the book you mentioned. Seems a great suggestion, however is there anything similar that focuses mainly on card effects in a similar way? Or perhaps a killer card trick on here that everyone should learn, kinda thing?

thanks again for your help.

Try The Royal Road To Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.

After you feel good with that book, get Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue.

Hope this helps!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey

Scarne on Card Tricks for stuff that requires few, if any, sleights.

Card College

Best choice for sleight of hand effects.

Oct 23, 2014
For learning card magic, I recommend picking up Royal Road to Card Magic, as it can be had very cheaply on Amazon, and it has a lot of great material.

If you want to invest more, Card College is an easier resource to learn with, but it has 5 volumes and each one is about $40...

Nov 29, 2019
UK
Thank you all for your detailed replies.

Some incredible advice given and I look forward to updating you all on my progress as I utilise some of the source material mentioned.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas/New year and maybe even some decks ‘neath the tree!

Cheers,

Kyle

ActionJack

Elite Member
May 1, 2018
CountryTurns, I still consider myself a novice. Here’s my advice, pick up Card College 1 and Royal Road to Card Magic. Read both then reread both again. Practice everything in the books but try to get really good at three or four of your favorite tricks. I say pick up both books because everyone has different preferences but they are both great books and you may learn better with one over the other.

keep a deck with you all the time and practice practice practice. Practice with newer cards and swap out decks during longer practice sessions as your body heat and moisture will affect the handling of the cards. You will feel as if you’re all thumbs for a while but after a bit things will start to come together.

Nov 29, 2019
UK
CountryTurns, I still consider myself a novice. Here’s my advice, pick up Card College 1 and Royal Road to Card Magic. Read both then reread both again. Practice everything in the books but try to get really good at three or four of your favorite tricks. I say pick up both books because everyone has different preferences but they are both great books and you may learn better with one over the other.

keep a deck with you all the time and practice practice practice. Practice with newer cards and swap out decks during longer practice sessions as your body heat and moisture will affect the handling of the cards. You will feel as if you’re all thumbs for a while but after a bit things will start to come together.

This a very comprehensive piece of advice. I truly appreciate it and can’t wait to sink my teeth into the source material suggested.
Thank you very much.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results