On the Spot by Gregory Wilson Pt.II

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Ring Fright-

Toss a borrowed wedding band into the air and dramatically stab it with your finger.

This effect sounds wonderful, and it really is, but it's not really as impromptu as the rest of the items on the DVD. For example, you can just walk up to anybody, take their ring, toss it, and stab it on your finger. You have to be more "picky" than that. For example, I can't wait to show my Dad and Step-Mom this weekend, because I know it will work with their rings. I also want to perform it for my history teacher for the same reason.

Apart from the effect, Greg also teaches two "gags" that he always uses to prelude the effect which are a great way of leading into Ring Fright or leading out of it. The first is the standard "ring switches fingers" that magicians have been doing for ages. The other is a gag that will probably get the spectators riled up for a few seconds, but they will start lol'ing as soon as they realize what really happened. I can't really say much, because I think if people are going to use Greg's gags (he should produce a DVD with that title), then they should purchase the DVD.

Trick Question, Questionable Trick-

A very convincing Copper/Silver transposition with the spare change in your pocket.

Basically, you put a penny and a dime in a spectator's hand. The reach inside their closed fist, remove a coin, and place it on the back of their hand. The coin on their hand magically switches for the coin in their hand.

Again with this effect, it may be what I need to start building up my confidence in performing coin magic. I'm kind of a sissy when it comes to coin. I know I'm not very good with them right now, so I'm scared to perform effects that I even know I have down. I just don't have that "comfort factor" that I do with cards. For example, with cards I could take a deck out and start blowing minds without any planning ahead of time. If someone handed me a handful of change and told me to start performing, it would be my mind that would be blown. :wink:

You may view this effect in the demo video if you want a more specific and detailed description. I like this effect, but I firmly believe that you HAVE to have confidence while performing it, or you will get caught. Obviously, this philosophy can be applied to basically any effect, but I think it especially applies to this effect.

Playful Pickpocketing-

Rob your audience blind- they'll love you for it.

I don't really think this needs much explaining or review, but I need some filler to make my review adequately long. :) Basically, Greg teaches you the very extreme basics of pickpocketing and putpocketing (sunglasses, placing items in coat jackets, etc.). If you want to do a full-fledged pickpocketing routine, DO NOT buy this DVD simply for that. Greg says himself that if you want to learn the finer details of pickpocketing and how to get different objects in different locations, to pick up a DVD that was meant for that. This just gives you enough to play around with the audience, and nothing more. Still fun, though.

Recap Revisited-

Revamped. Revitalized. Remarkable.

This effect is by far the one that I was most excited about from this DVD. The cap from the pen is disappearing, reappearing ,switching ends of the pen, etc. all throughout this fun routine. I personally am going to use my Stealth Pen for this effect, and then obviously follow it up with my Stealth Pen routine. This quick trick is an amazing way to "warm up" your spectators and get them ready for the rest of the performance. I am in love with this effect.

I believe this effect is in the Demo Video, as well, if you care to look at it. I think seeing this one alone will convince you to get the DVD; it did for me!

Overall

Overall, this DVD was well worth the $20 I paid for it (5 for $99), and I would have easily been more than satisfied with it had I paid full price. It truly is an awesome DVD, and I highly regret not getting it sooner. Highly recommended. I predict I will actually use a large majority of these effects... not only for when magic is requested and I don't have anything on me, but even with planned performances... it really is that good!

And if you want, I'm sure it would be simple to "upgrade" some of these effects with more "magician-like" props. Such as actual sponge balls, classier pens than a Bic, half dollars instead of quarters, etc. However ,I think they are all just fine the way they are, and give a better "casual feel" to the effect. I'll stick with the props that he uses.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Mods, it would be much appreciated if you could add a: Part II to the end of the title of this thread. Actually, I should have just added this as a reply to my other thread. You can delete this. FML.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results