Opinions on my Card Design

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I have spent a while designing my own deck of cards, and I was wondering if any of you like the design. There are still a couple of things that need to be changed (the cards are unintentionally one-way backed, and I would like the middle design to be bigger, and would like to add something to spruce up the top left and bottom right corners of the border to make fans look nicer). I started this project for fun, but then I started thinking that I would like to kickstart it (overambitious, I know). Would this be feasible if I were to fix the flaws I gave above?

I'm not sure if I uploaded the images correctly... so please tell me if they aren't viewable or something.

Thanks,
Peter

EDIT: it seems that the picture on the right (the blue one) turned out weird when I posted it. For whatever reason, it turned into a sickening light blue instead a dark purple as it was in the original design. This happened once when I emailed my friend the design as well, and I'm not sure why. Although less extreme, upon comparison I noticed that the red design pops a bit more through the web browser as well. It was intended to be crimson, not that shade of red (although I almost like how it turned out here better...). If you want to see them in their original color scheme, just download the image.

Sorry for the confusion,
Peter.

Attachments

• Card Scarlet Simple ver 2 Final.jpg
    Card Scarlet Simple ver 2 Final.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Card Simple with Background Completed Without rim for real.jpg
    Card Simple with Background Completed Without rim for real.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited by a moderator:

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Not my thing, sorry. Looks a bit cartoony for me. Like a design student project that they didn't have a lot of time for.

The key to success with Kickstarter is networking. You need to make sure you get the project in front of everyone you possibly can. The problem most people encounter is thinking they can slack at all. Just make sure everyone sees it.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I'm with Chris on this. It definitely looks like an "unfinished" project at this point that is just in the infant stages. I'd work on some other ideas and / or additions to this or I'm afraid it won't get off the ground for you. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to sound mean.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
I'm with Chris on this. It definitely looks like an "unfinished" project at this point that is just in the infant stages. I'd work on some other ideas and / or additions to this or I'm afraid it won't get off the ground for you. Just my two cents. I'm not trying to sound mean.

No offense taken. What I wish to add on is making the middle insignia better (so there isn't a sense of something missing around the edges of the card), adding a few curvy decorative lines around the edge, and adding 1/4 circles to the top left and bottom right corners with a small insignia (a bit like the Aurum deck).

Jul 28, 2010
Part of what gives it that "cartoony" look is the use of drop shadows and the emboss effect that was added to the design. Since those don't add anything to the design, maybe it would be better off if you stick with flat graphics. I'm curious to see how the design would look like once it's further developed.

strudles

Elite Member
Oct 8, 2013
Oakton, Virginia
Part of what gives it that "cartoony" look is the use of drop shadows and the emboss effect that was added to the design. Since those don't add anything to the design, maybe it would be better off if you stick with flat graphics. I'm curious to see how the design would look like once it's further developed.

It doesn't look too great without the embossing and drop shadows (at least I don't think so). I have saved multiple versions of the card, so I already have one without drop shadows, but I can't figure out how to attach the image here.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results