Originality Checking

Nov 30, 2014
I have recently discovered a move but in all honesty I don't have a clue whether it is original. It's original to me in the sense that I have never seen it before but then again my knowledge of magic is not exactly vast.

I honestly belive the move is really great and that's why I'm sure it has probably been thought of before by someone much more talented than myself.

My query is: what is the best way to find out if the move is original, baring in mind my resources are restricted pretty much entirely to the internet. Should I simply submit the move to T11 (or other similar companies) and then hope for the best?

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Send it to a knowledgeable magician. What does the move do? Even if they don't know who created the move they could point you in the right direction concerning crediting. If you send it to a company ods are you wont get any type of response if they don't like it. They wont tell you anything regarding originality.

Nov 30, 2014
The move is a control. I had the same thoughts initially but I don't really know any knowledgeable magicians personally, that's why I was hoping someone on these forums could help me (y)

Thankyou for your reply :)

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
If you'd like to PM me a video privately I'd be more than willing to help out. I could also point you in the direction of someone who may have more knowledge.

May 21, 2014
Staunton, VA

This might not be that relevant to the conversation, but I'm inclined to point out that originality only really matters if you're planning to teach the move to others. If you keep it for yourself (at least for a while), knowing if it's original isn't crucial. If you came up with it and it works, then use it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results