Palming, Card Folding

Sep 20, 2008
Hello. I can say that im an amateur in magic (Year in magic, year in Cardistry)- and i do a bit of flourishing. (DnD/d+M Fanboy here) However, the basic sleight that i have never bothered to do was Palming.

I know, its like the most basic thing to do >___> the reason is that because i have very small hands, and whenever i tried to palm a card a spectator would just say that its in my hand.

Im quite prepared now to practice misderection and the proper technique on how to palm a card. i was wondering if there were any bottom palms/Top palms that i can learn quite easily? and where can i learn them?

Also, im quite fond of Card-To-Shoe routines, i was wondering if there was a video to detail a card steal then to fold the said card into four?

-Sinful

Sep 2, 2007
London
I think the key thing to get over with palming cards is the idea that they have to be completely hidden in the hand for a palm to be effective. If you get your timing and misdirection right then the spectator just won't be looking at the hand that's holding out. However skilled you are at palming, if someone's really burning your hand, they'll catch you.

The two best palming DVDs I've come across are Bob White's "Practical Card Palming" and John Carney's "Carney on Palming". They both teach a range of different palming techniques and will definitely help. As for the folding, the technique you'll want is the Mercury Card Fold which is (I think) first taught in Expert Card Technique, but can be found in a variety of other places too.

Dec 13, 2007
Atlanta,Georgia
Max malini had a small hands and could not palm a card without it being seen... so he became very good at misdirection... max malini was able to palm cards off in front of Houdini with out him noticing because his misdirection was so good... dont get discouraged just practice and work on misdirection...the easiest misdirection is talking to someone!

Sep 20, 2008
Thank you for the advice. and Yeah it is quite hard to misdirect someone. Normally its easy if its a 'new' spectator. however my audiences are all from my college- and some (albeit all) are becoming hecklers and proper burning my hands with their eyes.

I did do a stroll around, and the group caught me when i palmed the card as i handed the deck towards them for shuffling.

Sep 2, 2007
London
folding cards - expert card technique

palming cards with small hands, I don't have this problem but you could probably tenkai it or lateral palm it.

with practice, palming a card can be achieved with the spectator burning your hands. I'm not yet capable of doing so, but here is a demonstration.

EOE palm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaIeqfEyJmE

the same guy, showing different palms. Awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcqRHL2xFVY

OK... :)

I'll rephrase what I said. What I really meant was, if someone suspects a palm and they burn your hands you can't hide it. Which is true...you can always see the tension in the tendons on the back of the hand.

Sep 16, 2007
Kent, WA state
yeah, palm -to-fold is rather tough. Try learning, if i remember correctly, the Z Fold. I was intrigued after watching DB do that trick for Tyra banks on one of his specials. Slick fold and very quick and uses the deck in a normal manner for cover.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results