Paranormal Inspiration

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
As we can all probably tell by now Halloween is clear in our midsts. As of right now, I've got a chilling image of what I would like to do on All Hallows Eve. I want to host a creepy magic showing. I'm not talking stage magic, but close-up or even mentalism.

So far, most of my inspiration for doing this comes from the October haunted house specials that play each year on various channels. I already know the type of costume I'll most likely be using, and I hope it should loan some of it's creepiness to the show. I'm thinking of something along the line of a Jester gone bad.

I know some of the effects that I would like to use as well. I'm thinking about using Stigmata, Saw, various Loops effects, and a ACR amped up with a storyline. I also just thought about using some type of fire effects.

What I do know is that I'll need some work on presentation, and probably to usage of a few other effects. This is where I could really use some advice, and possibly some of that "chiming" that Chris Kenner was talking about. :D

Is anyone else planning on doing something along the same lines? If so, I would love to collaborate together and bounce ideas off of each other.

Thanks in advance,

Shane K.

Sep 3, 2007
Hey shane

I am headlining a big halloween show at a field party in the town i live in and i did so last year as well.

I finish the show with a half an hour stage show and then an hour later i host a small haunted gathering with a small hand selected group of about 10 people where i do close up magic for them, it went over great last year and i hope it will this year as well.

If you would like some ideas or anything just PM me and we can throw some stuff around

- Xander

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Ooh, I wish I was good enough at Mentalism to do some of it this year.
However, I've heard that the Haunted Deck is good to do.
Saw is a crowd pleaser.
If you have the money, I've heard great things about Zoran's Horror Cutter.
I think that alot of it will have to do with your presentation.
Def. do Stigmata though, it will freak people out.

This is something that I do, but go to one of the Haunted Corn Mazes/Haunted Houses around here and just do a walk-around for people, you could probably do some stuff there, if you have the right lighting.

Also, check out the Haunted Magic section of Penguin, it should have lots of good tricks for you:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/haunted.php

remember that for a good and believable performance during that time of year you want to create the proper atmosphere... dimmed lights, closed windows, candles, etc... have an eerie feel in the room so that when you do start to perform the ppl that are watch join your world and are taken in to the performance.

as far as effects i would suggest the following (ideally if i had no limit to my resources):

Haunted deck (using loops, so that the deck is not in your hands but on the table)
Saw
Needle Through Arm
Human Blockhead
PK effects
Okito Voodoo Doll

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
remember that for a good and believable performance during that time of year you want to create the proper atmosphere... dimmed lights, closed windows, candles, etc... have an eerie feel in the room so that when you do start to perform the ppl that are watch join your world and are taken in to the performance.

as far as effects i would suggest the following (ideally if i had no limit to my resources):

Haunted deck (using loops, so that the deck is not in your hands but on the table)
Saw
Needle Through Arm
Human Blockhead
PK effects
Okito Voodoo Doll

Ah yes, I've been quite interested in a "voodoo doll" type effect. I was thinking about using one of those plush dolls called "VooDooz". Look em' up and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Shane K.

Ah yes, I've been quite interested in a "voodoo doll" type effect. I was thinking about using one of those plush dolls called "VooDooz". Look em' up and tell me what you think.

Thanks!

Shane K.

they look ok .. but plush dolls dont really give me the sense of "spooky" .. they look cute to me .. but then again im pretty weird lol ...when it comes to voodoo dolls i prefer something that looks more believable, hand made even .. i remember learning how to make a doll by folding up a bandanna but i dont remember where i learned it. but thats beside the point .... i was talking about the Okito Doll found HERE it does not use thread to rise but the method is not for everyone be warned.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
they look ok .. but plush dolls dont really give me the sense of "spooky" .. they look cute to me .. but then again im pretty weird lol ...when it comes to voodoo dolls i prefer something that looks more believable, hand made even .. i remember learning how to make a doll by folding up a bandanna but i dont remember where i learned it. but thats beside the point .... i was talking about the Okito Doll found HERE it does not use thread to rise but the method is not for everyone be warned.

I see what your talking about. I don't know about that one in particular because of it's size. I think I know what you are talking about when you said you used to make them out of bandanas.

Spooky is definatly something that I'm trying to go for. I just brough out VooDooz because of the mental image of one of Criss Angels episodes where he pulled out a KoRn doll and used that. Quite effective looking as well.

Please keep me posted (everyone) if you think of anything else!

Shane K.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Disintegration would be a very good trick to do.
I'm sure that if you were to present it in a "spooky" way, you could get some killer reactions. It's great, I highly recomend it.

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Disintegration would be a very good trick to do.
I'm sure that if you were to present it in a "spooky" way, you could get some killer reactions. It's great, I highly recomend it.

Ah, kind of like an ash effect? I like that idea a lot. I was thinking about doing something like that, but does it have to be on the arm? I remember seeing a David Blaine effect where some guys girlfriends face appeared on his own stomach.

Shane K.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Ah, kind of like an ash effect? I like that idea a lot. I was thinking about doing something like that, but does it have to be on the arm? I remember seeing a David Blaine effect where some guys girlfriends face appeared on his own stomach.

Shane K.
It's the same thing as ashes on arm, but it appears on the spectators arm.
And no, I don't suppose it HAS to be on the specs arm, but it would be impractical to do it anywhere else...

Sep 3, 2007
I recommend the okito voodoo doll to everyone, very strong effect and if you present it in the correct manner it can be extremely scary, i have been performing it for years and have a very good storyline that works well for me. Even when i am not performing around halloween

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Do you happen to have video of ANYONE performing okito voodoo? I would love to see what it actually looks/feels like during a great performance.

I'm really hoping that I'll either be able to make a large Halloween party and either perform there or actually go out with the trick or treaters and do either a walk around or perform for my candy instead of the ol' traditional way of saying "Trick or Treat!".

Shane K.

Aug 31, 2007
I'm going to do some tricks to a few people walking around, try and impress them, or even freak out :D .

I may do Saw, but I will do Stigmata, and Distortion, and I will order a few more tricks for E and T11.

-|P54

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Cool... it sounds like a lot of you will be having a lot of fun this halloween

Krash if your going to be doing walk around then there are a lot of effects that would suit the occasion

Here are some that you may enjoy:

Stigmatisms- Allows for you to cry tears of blood aswell as visually get blood appearing on your palms

Pulse stop effect- Quite a few different versions of this... but it's best to have a sure fire one so you know you'll be able to pull it off 100%

Disintigration- As has been mentione, this would be great (ashes on the specs arm)

Stigmata- As has been said by many

The Web- That card trick that ends with a spider on the back of the specs hand (not real spider)

Russian Roulette/smash and stab routine- nail under one cup out of however many and you slam your hand down on all but the one with it hidden under

Saw- As has been said

Needle thru arm- As has been said

Knife thru arm- Bit expensive but is a nice visual effect of you cutting right into your arm with a knife

Gutbuster- Someones puts there arm thru you or vice cersa

Flesh Wound- Cut your arm and peel back the skin... then heal yourself

There ive mentioned quite a few, these were the ones for walk around.
Aswell as them anything with loops would work wonders, aswell as some mentalism... Name reveal, mindreading etc. Something else would be to do readings for people or palmistry

Just in case you might put on a little show i'll give a little list of a couple of effects/routines for that situation:

Annebelles erotic seance'- Now I know it say's erotic in the title but it also has a way where instead of them experiencing things of a sexual nature... they take a trip to there vision of hell

Ok I know I said a couple but the other one I was thinking of has just popped out my head... oh yeah... A bullet catch.
Obviously not a real bullet catch but a BB bullet catch. Scott Xavier has one thats amazing... I love it and it will def make for a tense atmosphere

Aswell as all the things ive mentioned, you could do things like where you cause a specs hands to lock, cause there eyes to lock shut, twisting palm, Cause them to not be able to swallow, take away there strength etc etc

Well ive given some ideas... good luck with whatever you decide to perform and have fun :D:D:D:D

Sep 1, 2007
Jamestown, NC
www.google.com
Cool... it sounds like a lot of you will be having a lot of fun this halloween

Krash if your going to be doing walk around then there are a lot of effects that would suit the occasion

Here are some that you may enjoy:

Stigmatisms- Allows for you to cry tears of blood aswell as visually get blood appearing on your palms

Pulse stop effect- Quite a few different versions of this... but it's best to have a sure fire one so you know you'll be able to pull it off 100%

Disintigration- As has been mentione, this would be great (ashes on the specs arm)

Stigmata- As has been said by many

The Web- That card trick that ends with a spider on the back of the specs hand (not real spider)

Russian Roulette/smash and stab routine- nail under one cup out of however many and you slam your hand down on all but the one with it hidden under

Saw- As has been said

Needle thru arm- As has been said

Knife thru arm- Bit expensive but is a nice visual effect of you cutting right into your arm with a knife

Gutbuster- Someones puts there arm thru you or vice cersa

Flesh Wound- Cut your arm and peel back the skin... then heal yourself

There ive mentioned quite a few, these were the ones for walk around.
Aswell as them anything with loops would work wonders, aswell as some mentalism... Name reveal, mindreading etc. Something else would be to do readings for people or palmistry

Just in case you might put on a little show i'll give a little list of a couple of effects/routines for that situation:

Annebelles erotic seance'- Now I know it say's erotic in the title but it also has a way where instead of them experiencing things of a sexual nature... they take a trip to there vision of hell

Ok I know I said a couple but the other one I was thinking of has just popped out my head... oh yeah... A bullet catch.
Obviously not a real bullet catch but a BB bullet catch. Scott Xavier has one thats amazing... I love it and it will def make for a tense atmosphere

Aswell as all the things ive mentioned, you could do things like where you cause a specs hands to lock, cause there eyes to lock shut, twisting palm, Cause them to not be able to swallow, take away there strength etc etc

Well ive given some ideas... good luck with whatever you decide to perform and have fun :D:D:D:D

Holy mess...

You (and everyone else who replied) are absolute life savers! I never would have thought about a lot of those effects that were mentioned. I would love to do a bullet catch. I know that there is an effect called Bullet Catch .22 or something like that. You basically mess around with a match and a bullet. You run the lit match under the bullet and tell the spectators not to worry because the fire alone wont make the bullet shoot, but it soon explodes in your fact and BAM! It's in your teeth.

Shane K.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results