Penguin Magic

I've been purchasing from Penguin for about a year, great deals, some great productions and products. I've never had problems with customer support, in fact i've been in one-on-one contact with people there via email and I've gotten top notch help. I will make orders with my friend who is a professional magician now and then, and we've had literally no problems, we usually research a product and company pretty good before we do so.

We also use other companies for specific products, T11 is on the list for our orders next month :)

-Reuben Frederick->

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't like penguin

don't buy it

I'm sorry, but how is that any help whatsoever?

You could say why you don't like them, or why he shoudln't buy it. You should only voice an opinion if you can back it up. :)

Most penguin downloads are found in good card magic books. They are just made to be brought up to date and to be used by visual learners.

:)

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I look around there occasionally for props and such but they are ALWAYS out of stock. Whats the deal with that?

True, I've been forced to go elsewhere to get products I much rather would have gotten from them. But I kinda like their new policy that you can't buy something until it's in stock.

Sep 2, 2007
I don't mind penguin, nut they kind of just sell anything and everything, which includes crap as well. I've ordered from them before, and I've never run into any snags

Brewery Rabbit

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Poulsbo, Wa
I'm sorry, but how is that any help whatsoever?

You could say why you don't like them, or why he shoudln't buy it. You should only voice an opinion if you can back it up. :)

Most penguin downloads are found in good card magic books. They are just made to be brought up to date and to be used by visual learners.

:)

They are also quite helpful because some books were just so darn confusing.

I like penguin quite alot.

~Jordan

Sep 27, 2007
Cenozoic, Oligocene
I look around there occasionally for props and such but they are ALWAYS out of stock. Whats the deal with that?

Either it doesn't sell well, or the quality is crap. Remember, most of the products sold on Penguin are not there's but they perform them and teach them.

Quality crap meaning it's form Magic Makers...

Penguin is a good place to buy if your looking for a variety of magic. Definately worth it when your just getting into magic, and you want to look around.

I've bought ALOT of stuff from penguin. NEVER had any problems at all. And the whole "discounted price- Your not supporting the creator" thing is without merit. Nobody HAS to sell thier products through penguin, MJM, Hocus pocus or any other dealer that offers a discount or a reduced price.

I've bought alot of stuff through MJM. No problems. Ive bought alot of stuff through E and only had minor hiccups. Nothing huge.

I like penguin. The only thing I don't like about them is that they seem to be out of stock on some things and it takes forever to get the product back in. But, Its a good policy I guess. Not selling anything unless its in stock and ready for shipment.

Om a side note, I like Magic pro shop and Hocus pocus as well. Never had any problems.

Tim

Sep 1, 2007
New York
I've ordered from Penguin on several occasions -- mostly dealer items that I imagine they get through Murphy's, like most other magic stores. For those who don't understand this, when Penguin deeply discounts, they are cutting their own margin. The creater gets the same amount of money as he or she would have gotten if the item was purchased through Hocus Pocus or a brick-and-mortar store. I've bought things like the AOA series and, yes, "The Trilogy," at discounts that induced me to buy them. I always go for free shipping, and, honestly, I don't see how Penguin stays in business. My last purchase of one of the AOA books came with over $10 postage showing on the label even though I paid nothing for the shipping.

There is, I know, a broader argument about Penguin's discounting policies that's similar to the debate over Wal-Mart's effect on local merchants in the towns they are located in. (Unlike Wal-Mart, however, I don't believe Penguin pressures manufacturers to produce at lower margins).

I've also bought many items directly from the creator (including specialty boutiques like Outlaw Effects) to support them. One of my big annoyances is when I've pre-ordered from the creator and then Penguin, HP and all the other stores get the item first and the reviews start showing up on the Magic Cafe before I've received mine... but that's for another thread.

In short, my experience with Penguin has been fine, the customer service has been good, and the free shipping has been very fast. As for knock-offs and Magic Makers stuff, yes, they have some... as does Fantasma, my local brick-and-mortar, and tons of other shops. I don't buy them from Penguin or anywhere else. And as various threads here attest, knock-offs can be defined in many ways and found in many places.

My expereince with penguin magic has been positive. I have purchased from them twice, and each time I received everything I ordered in a timely manner and in working condition. Plus you get access to private forums for the products that you buy.

I love Penguin. The forums are friendly and helpful and the products are good. Sure they sell some crap because they have thousands of products, but they're not forcing you to buy it. You could do a little research before you buy a product.

Also they have free shipping and usually comes to me in about 1-5 buisness days.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results