Performance Styles

Oct 14, 2007
Now, this may have been posted before, but I was just wondering what some of you guys would describe your normal performance styles as? I personally would describe my self as a more stand up style magician. If I can make a spectator laugh, it's almost as good as making them scream. I also find my self to be very audience-interactive. I always find myself cracking jokes with and about the audience, if it's close up I perform almost entirely in their hands. Anyway, yeah, that's me. . .anyone else?

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I'm kind of a serious, light-hearted, melodramatic, intensely laid-back, overacting under-performer.
Just try and figure out what that would look like.

Actually, I'm kind of light-hearted, and I make jokes as I go along.

Oct 14, 2007
I think I get what you're getting at.

Anyway, yeah, I also have some really, really serious moments and the contrast alone scares some people.

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
When I do magic, I can't be sitting down in a chair. I have to be standing up. I just can't sit down to do a trick, I have to put energy into it.
Also I always use comedy in my act. I love making people laugh, especially when I'm performing.

Sep 15, 2007
I too must stand to do my magic.
I call it Jazz Magic after Jazz music because the audience drives me from trick to trick.
I have a good reptoir to choose from when performing and love to do two or three tricks and leave them wanting more.
Joking and being personable to the audience is a must as well.
Snorri

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
These are some words that actual people have described my performance style as...

Chill, Dark, Intelligent, Friendly.

Get the main idea?

Sep 1, 2007
I'm like Danny, I can't sit down to do a trick. I don't run around when I'm performing or anything, but I like to move around so everyone watching has a chance to see what's going on. In the beginner's tips video here I remember Chris Kenner saying something about how some magcicians turn into a different person when they perform, I'd have to say I would be exactly the same or even more laid back than usual when I'm "doing my thing"

Sep 1, 2007
Canada
Why is it weird?

I made a video this afternoon that focused on character and mood more than presentation or skill. The chorus in the song I used was talking about red pills and blue pills. This made me think of the Matrix, and I was like... Cool, that's kind of neat and fits in. But then buddy here posts that and it freaks my freak.

Sep 10, 2007
(Interesting conversation you guys are having...matrix and all that...)

I try to be as much like myself as possible. It just so turns out that I have a very eccentric personality, which people sometimes don't understand. Think of, like, Willy Wonka, and you would probably get me.

Basically, I act as though I'm very unusual, yet still friendly. Mysterious, yet open. Clumsy, yet skillfull.

Occasionally, (since acting is sort of one of my skills), I try out different personalities. Sometimes, I act as the hopeless magician, that suddenly does something so mindblowingly amazing that people cannot comprehend what just happened. I love doing that. Especially things that touch people inside.

Oct 14, 2007
(Interesting conversation you guys are having...matrix and all that...)

I try to be as much like myself as possible. It just so turns out that I have a very eccentric personality, which people sometimes don't understand. Think of, like, Willy Wonka, and you would probably get me.

Basically, I act as though I'm very unusual, yet still friendly. Mysterious, yet open. Clumsy, yet skillfull.

Occasionally, (since acting is sort of one of my skills), I try out different personalities. Sometimes, I act as the hopeless magician, that suddenly does something so mindblowingly amazing that people cannot comprehend what just happened. I love doing that. Especially things that touch people inside.

Now are we talking classic Willy Wonka or Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Willy Wonka?

I just try to be myself...I find that if you allow yourself to be who you are, people will be more amazed then by trying to show them you are some super talented conjurer from another time or dimension

L

Liam Carrie

Now, this may have been posted before, but I was just wondering what some of you guys would describe your normal performance styles as? I personally would describe my self as a more stand up style magician. If I can make a spectator laugh, it's almost as good as making them scream. I also find my self to be very audience-interactive. I always find myself cracking jokes with and about the audience, if it's close up I perform almost entirely in their hands. Anyway, yeah, that's me. . .anyone else?

i either go with just being myself or sort of a comedy side or a dark/scary side

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Because I perform mainly for my friends my persona doesn't really change unless I'm doing my Suicide King effect and that's only because the situation and nature of the effect calls for it.

Other than that, I'm usually quite light-hearted, kind of like Daniel Garcia I guess... Just need his magical powers now ;)

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results