Performing for a Birthday

Aug 17, 2013
Earth
So I''ve decided to perform for a friend at his birthday party. There are going to be many people there and there will be alcohol involved. I don't drink or any other way alter my mind. I have my introduction patter down and practiced. This will be my first performance for a crowd of people but not my first performance in front of strangers. I want to perform some really mind blowing stuff, real visual magic. So far, I have on my list of things to perform: Move and Revoke by Gianni Vox, Angle Z by Daniel Madison, My own Ambitious Card that include some fancy color changes, Some metal bending I learned from Dee Christopher, a triple phase sandwich routine and maybe just maybe a Triumph Affect. I have one month preparation time and so far have been over at his house many times to analyze angles and where I will perform etc. These tricks will not be performed in the order listed that was just a list off the top of my head. I'm terrible with flourishes and would really like to learn a nice looking fancy flourish that is preferably false. Any ideas? Aside from that, any advice? Finally can you think of any eye popping magic that has to do with cards that you would fit in this kind of performance? I'm intermediate to advanced in most techniques so it won't take me very long to pick something up and I have about 100 to spare to buy something if I don't already own it. I say this because I compulsively buy magic videos and cards D: . Meaning I have many gigs of videos right now and plenty of dvd's that I haven't even scratched the surface of. I think I own around 150 plus downloads and dvd's. I comb through them and learn what catches my eye at the time. So hopefully something you recommend I already own. If not I'll just pick it up, no big deal. Thanks for all the advice that you provide!

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
What age group will you be performing for....21 and over I can assume? Is your performance an actual show where everyone will be seated or standing watching you at a table? Are you just walking around and performing for whoever decides to watch? This definitely changes some of the effects that I would perform. Also, if most of the people will be drinking or drunk you will need quick visual effects rather than the long drawn out story ones where people have to count cards into piles and such. Is this a paid gig or just you kind of doing a favor at your friends bday party? If you can give us just a little bit more of what the client is expecting that will help.

Aug 17, 2013
Earth
What age group will you be performing for....21 and over I can assume? Is your performance an actual show where everyone will be seated or standing watching you at a table? Are you just walking around and performing for whoever decides to watch? This definitely changes some of the effects that I would perform. Also, if most of the people will be drinking or drunk you will need quick visual effects rather than the long drawn out story ones where people have to count cards into piles and such. Is this a paid gig or just you kind of doing a favor at your friends bday party? If you can give us just a little bit more of what the client is expecting that will help.

Sure, sorry the devil is in the details as they say. It will be 21 and up yes. It will be in an apartment where I will casually set up in a corner and ask some people to gather around me. I chose a certain corner that gave great lighting for the performance but dim lighting on my angles. Also angles will be put in check via the corner. We will all more than likely be standing and I've done my best to choose effects that I can perform standing and will be quick, flashy and disorienting. It is not a payed gig, I was a at said friends hanging out and I showed him a couple of tricks and we was impressed. He asked me if I do performances ever and I told him I've only ever done performances on the street or impromptu performances for people at bars, gas stations etc. He then asked if I would perform a few at his birthday next month and I said sure. He will not be used as a stooge. I will keep people about 4-5 feet away from me with me in the corner and them at a 90 degree angle from me. This picture will give an example http://www.aprweather.com/images/triangle.gif They will be on the A to C line and I will be in the corner of the room at point B. The performance will be around 25 mins long at the most 30 minutes. Nobody knows I will be performing. I told him to keep quiet about it and feel I can trust him. I plan on giving him a birthday toast and when everybody is paying attention to me asking them if they would walk with me over to the staging area so I can show them my gift to him. I would be happy to type out my patter for the introduction that I plan on using as well. I've been rehearsing it to look as natural and random as possible. Thank you for your reply.

Edit: I plan on doing it while they are all buzzed maybe an hour or so into the party but not taking my time to perform as I don't want them to all be drunken and have a lack of respect for what it is I'm showing them.

Last edited by a moderator:

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Okay, I think you have a great start and some good things going for you. I definitely like how you have already planned a nice corner spot to cover your angles. I would use a small close up table and pad or if you don't have one, for now use a TV dinner tray and put your close up pad on that. The barrier of a table also cuts off the corners and kind of tells the spectators to give you some space. If you are taking a small gig case then set it back behind you in the corner so nobody can get to it or touch your things.

Inviting people over to the corner to toast your friends birthday is unique and I kind of like it actually. I will brainstorm some effects but doing the toast and then perhaps doing something with the beverage bottle, can, what have you, would be a great transition. And then you can go into your performance.

For this type of event, and being that it is not paid, I would NOT go more than 25 minutes. I'd hit them hard with about 5-6 effects and leave them wanting more. There is no need to load your pockets and gig case with 30 effects and go down the list showing them every magic item and effect you know. Trust me...I did that 10 years ago and thought that was the way to impress people....ha ha.
Believe the saying: Less is More

Also keep in mind this is a party for your friend and the attention should not be about you all night. You don't want every guest coming up to you the rest of the night bugging you for more magic when clearly everyone is there to celebrate your friends bday. Just politely tell them No and they will get the hint.

As far as effects, I would go with some variety. Please do not just perform card tricks unless you are Jon Armstrong, and I would recommend NOT opening with a card effect. Many times as soon as the deck comes out and you offer for someone to pick a card, 9 times out of 10 someone will yell out, "Oh, Ive seen this one..." when clearly they have no idea what you are even going to perform yet. It is annoying, but is the norm unfortunately.

I would make sure to include a few audience members into at least one or two effects so that, again, the focus isn't, "Hey, look at me, look at what I can do to fool you, but more of a "entertainment" factor. Humor at these types of gigs is a definite added bonus. If someone heckles you and it is actually a funny moment, just laugh with it and enjoy it. Don't try to make the witty remarks back.

As far as actual magic effects. Choose some items that have audience participation and definitely something that leaves your bday friend with a cool souvenir.

Something else to keep in mind. Please please please do NOT choose the best looking girl at the party to come up and help you as this is just asking for trouble. These types of women tend to always get their way and love the attention. Two, her boyfriend will get a little jealous of the moment you guys are sharing together even if you are genuinely not flirting....it looks bad and people read into it. I've been there and it doesn't go over well.

Definitely have some business cards available. If you don't have any right now....get some. Word of mouth travels fast and you will need enough business cards to give each person 2. They need to hang on to one and give one to a friend or family member who is not present at the party.

As far as actually performing. Small effects like Revoke will need some adaptation. When you draw a little X on a coin, that is going to be very difficult for spectators standing 10 feet away to see, especially if someone is kind of blocking their view. Always show things up chest high.

Personally I would try to do one money effect like a bill switch / change in a thumb tip, one metal bend routine, two card effects, maybe something mental like a book test, and perhaps one more item. Remember, a thumb tip could also but used for other things. Now days girls all wear those infinity scarves. You could have a girl take that off, load the thumb tip into it and drop a burning match / cigarette down into it.

I can't honestly sit here and hand pick you a list to perform. I know that sounds bad but it would be near impossible. I can only tell you what I would do in this situation with what props and effects I know and use.

I do hope I've given you a little help though.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results