Poll: What is your favorite type of magic

What is your favorite type of magic

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
No, it isn't.

Magic and mentalism are related, but distinctly separate theatrical arts with different goals and approaches.

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
I love all types of magic, however Cards has a special place in my heart...52 thin objects to manipulate...it`s easy to learn, but takes a lifetime to master.

oh and to add to the current talk.

once you start using Billets,boards or gimmicks in mentalism that requires ANY sleight of hand or preparation, mentalism ventures into the realm of magic.

if all you do is memory tricks, cold reading and memory feats, then it isn`t.

Reactions: DantetheMante

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
No, mentalism isn't magic. What you are likely thinking of is mental magic, which is magic tricks (read typically card tricks) with a presentation that claims some sort of mental ability. Mentalism would encompass things like, Q&A routines, divinations, telepathy, discernment, prediction as well as palmistry and readings. If you have ever seen a true mentalism show, you would know how it is different.

My favorite is parlor magic, which isn't on the list.

Nov 1, 2017
New Jersey
No, mentalism isn't magic. What you are likely thinking of is mental magic, which is magic tricks (read typically card tricks) with a presentation that claims some sort of mental ability. Mentalism would encompass things like, Q&A routines, divinations, telepathy, discernment, prediction as well as palmistry and readings. If you have ever seen a true mentalism show, you would know how it is different.

My favorite is parlor magic, which isn't on the list.
im sorry i forgot

Nov 1, 2017
New Jersey
I love all types of magic, however Cards has a special place in my heart...52 thin objects to manipulate...it`s easy to learn, but takes a lifetime to master.

oh and to add to the current talk.

once you start using Billets,boards or gimmicks in mentalism that requires ANY sleight of hand or preparation, mentalism ventures into the realm of magic.

if all you do is memory tricks, cold reading and memory feats, then it isn`t.
i agree with the cards

Aug 15, 2017
I think (btw...just to make things clear, when people, and am included, say 'I think' over questions like these, a completely BIASED AND OPINIONATED REPLY is gonna follow, just clearing things out :) ) that general magic is the best magic. I mean, when you handle cards, as soon as u take them out, people are like ''Oh am gonna see some magic''. So I like to spring things out and maybe borrow my school mate's library card or something and use a card magic principle to do something with it. Gets the GREATEST reactions. But I guess am guilty of paying too much of attention to card sleights and flourishes, because let's face it one on one okay? Cards are a magician's best friend. No matter how much you love other magic, cards is where you are the most comfortable :)
Anyways...I feel it is general magic. It is something that has to do with doing extraordinary out of ordinary that fascinates me abt general magic.
That is, if the general magic you meant is even the kind of general magic am assuming :)
But should you ask magicians what kind of magic laymen like the best? Those who practice and perform something, will ALWAYS have a biased view. I think I do not, everyone thinks they do not. BUT we ALL are BIASED...okay?
So I guess you should ask your laymen friends what they like you performing the best. After all what looks good on me might suck on someone else and what works for someone else may suck on you. Or maybe we THINK (like the opinionated beasts we are) that something looks good on us, but it DOESN'T. We should ask our audience what they like :)

Aug 15, 2017
I have always wanted to know what type of magic people liked so I am asking magicians for
advice:)
BTW...I luv ur username. It is really fun to pronounce.
"Hey look who's there. Is that the greatest magician of all times? Is it...yes it is!!! HEY DANTE...the...er...MANTE! Come and join us mante...I mean join us mate!"

:D :D :D
Yo! Dante the Mante!
Magicians can vanish coins, can't they?
Whatever...pls have a good day!

(srry :) no offence meant)

Nov 1, 2017
New Jersey
BTW...I luv ur username. It is really fun to pronounce.
"Hey look who's there. Is that the greatest magician of all times? Is it...yes it is!!! HEY DANTE...the...er...MANTE! Come and join us mante...I mean join us mate!"

:D :D :D
Yo! Dante the Mante!
Magicians can vanish coins, can't they?
Whatever...pls have a good day!

(srry :) no offence meant)
thanks about my name plus magicians can vanish anything if they put there mind to it

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results