Problem with Leftie like me

Sep 1, 2007
Hong Kong
Hi, being a leftie, i often find it to be extremely hard to learn flourishing moves, especially with the first person perspective. Since I watch my dvds on my computer, I'm looking for a media player where I can play the video inverted horizontally, like a reflection from a mirror, so that I can really follow the steps.

Sep 9, 2007
i'm pretty sure media player classic can, and VLC probably can too.

so do you do all your moves inverted? I've often wondered if lefties do magic differently....

Nov 4, 2007
i am left-handed, but i do more than 90% of my magic the same as a right handed person. I change for doing a lot of things with coins, but with cards, i typically do the exact way as a right-hander. Its based mostly on how you learn, and with enough practice, either way can work.

Oct 18, 2007
I'm left handed and don't really have a problem learning magic, but yeah, it's a pain when learning flourishes. Especially from a POV. Learning magic is actually easier I guess because I can directly mirror the actions.

The only thing I don't like about being left handed is my fans are blank, and to me, everything is upside down when I spread the cards. Better for the spectator though. Blech. Time to start practicing stuff the other way, hahah.

Sep 2, 2007
Like already been said, VLC Media Player can flip the image. Same goes for KM Player, but since VLC is an allround great player to have, I'd go with that. I'm a leftie myself, and I'd swap all my stuff over to rightie-ways anyday if I could. Even if you're left handed normally and just start out, I suggest you try to learn card-stuff as a right-handed person, you'll be glad you did.

I got a pet peeve for the fact that my normal fans are blank, peeks don't work out the way they should and that moves generally are adjusted for right-handed people. I guess being a leftie comes with a few privilegies such as a more natural-looking Losing Control and a few other things, but I think the negative side weighs the most on the scale. There are alternative moves meant for lefties, but they just feel like those ramps meant for wheelchairs to me personally.

But just like Stein, I use to imagine myself as being a mirror-image of the right-handed person.

Sep 1, 2007
Hi, being a leftie, i often find it to be extremely hard to learn flourishing moves, especially with the first person perspective. Since I watch my dvds on my computer, I'm looking for a media player where I can play the video inverted horizontally, like a reflection from a mirror, so that I can really follow the steps.

Dude, get the system. Everything will be mirrored for you. Makes it easy to learn.

Vinnie C.

cardistry moderator / t11
Aug 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
For anyone saying that they don't like that their left-handed fans/spreads are blank, I have a solution for you:

Learn to fan/spread with both hands. I did. :p

-Vince

Sep 1, 2007
yeah... or simply realize that there is such thing as a reverse fan... you can even pressure fan reverse... or there's a right-hand one handed indicies fan...

vinnie, learn moves in BOTH hands!?!?? You Blasphemer! tar, feather, draw, and quarter him immediately!!! :eek:

Sep 2, 2007
For anyone saying that they don't like that their left-handed fans/spreads are blank, I have a solution for you:

Learn to fan/spread with both hands. I did. :p

-Vince

Like I said, when you do "alternatives" to how righties do things, it just feels like those ramps meant for wheelchairs. I think the people with wheelchairs want to be able to take the stairs, but most of them have to use the ramp either way. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but it feels wrong to have to replace packets before doing things that righties can do immediately. I guess it's even worse in magic though, where you actually can't adjust certain things to being a leftie.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, jerry's right hand indicies fan can only be done with the right hand. LOL

no seriously every single move out there can (and should ) be done ambidextrously. Just pretend you've got VLC player in your brain and invert whatever you're seeing.

Sep 2, 2007
still nobody answered my question on this page.
Here are the steps that should answer your question:

1) Download VLC Player.
2) Click on the "Settings" tab.
3) Subsequently, click on "Preferences."
4) Click on the "+" sign to the left of "Video" on the left column.
5) Click on "Filters," and then check the box titled "Video transformation filter."
6) Click on "Save," and then return to "Filters."
7) Click on the "+" sign to the left of "Filters."
8) Click on "Transformation," select "Flip vertically," and click on "Save."
9) Play video file, and enjoy this great feature for those who are left-handed -- and right-handed as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
JTM

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results