PROFESSIONALISM -- First Impressions Count!

So, you’re asking yourself, how do I establish myself as a true magician? How do I set myself apart from the image that many people have about magicians, and show that I actually know what I’m doing. It all comes down to professionalism.

In magic, as well as a lot of things in life, first impressions are everything. There are many aspects that determine how your audience perceives you, and how they’ll react to your magic. In a few moments, we’ll discuss some important things that you can change to alternate how your audience thinks of you and your magic. Two important topics, such as how to dress , and how to script an opener that works for you, and will get you a “yes”. Let’s begin.

So…how do clothes affect you in the eyes of an audience, and how do you dress to establish yourself as someone that takes magic seriously?

For one, clothes can have a drastic impact on the audiences opinion of you. Why? Because, clothes make the man. It’s true. Would you think the same of a homeless person that’s dressed in rags as you would a businessman in a $5,000 suit? I know I wouldn’t. You would also treat them differently too. Now, I’m not saying that I would be mean or disrespectful to the homeless man, as I certainly would not, but you would expect different things from both of them.

You would expect the business man to have money, class, style. You would expect him to be professional and nice. That’s the image they try to portray, and you would expect him to live up to it.

As for the homeless man, you would not expect as much from him. You would expect him to be a beggar, desperate, to smell and look bad. It may not be right, but it is the case. People are like that, and that’s why first impressions are so important in magic. It tells the audience what to expect.

So, how can I have a positive first impression on the audience? This can be done in many ways, all of which are extremely important.

--------------------------------------

1. Dress. The clothes you wear are extremely important, and this cannot be stressed enough. If you are going out to perform, you have to look good. You have to be able to be identified as the magician. Now, I’m not talking about guerilla magic. I don’t know to much on that subject. I’m talking about if your going someplace to impress people, you have to look your best.

That means dress pants. Black jeans do not count. They are still jeans, and just as bad. You need dress pants. If you want people to treat you as a professional, you have to look like it. The saying that you should dress one step above your audience, that is so true. But, you also need to stand out. That means wearing bright and vibrant colors if it fits. You need some way to set yourself apart from everyone else.

Maybe a lapel pin that says “magician” or something of that sort. Maybe walk around doing some coin or card flourishes? Anything. So long as you are easily identified, and no question that you are a magician.

2. Introduction. Your first few words to the audience is so vital. It determines whether they say yes or no, what they think of you, if you care about what you’re saying, etc. We’ll talk about a few factors below.

So…how does your intro determine whether they say ‘yes’ or ‘no’? Well, this is easy. It can do a lot of things to the audience, and put them in a certain mood. The first few seconds of you approaching them is so crucial. Time is precious, so make the most of it. By the time you finish your first sentence, you have to have won them over, and make them stop what they’re doing to see you perform. Your words can make or break this.

What you need to do is get them in a good mood. This can be done by having an energetic opener. Sound enthusiastic. Don’t be fake either. They’ll be able to tell if you’re really sincere. Get in a good mood, get pumped up. Also, the first question you ask better not be “do you want to see some magic?” Why? Because they think they know what you’re going to do, and will most likely say no. Ask them anything but that.

My patter: “Hey guys! How is everyone doing tonight? …That’s great! My name is Steve, I’m the House Magician here at Red Robin! I was wondering if you folks wanted to see some magic, compliments of the management?”

It almost always gets a yes, and very rarely a no. But, what works for me, might not work for you. That’s why you need to customize and create an approach that fits your style, character, and audience. All these should be taken into consideration, as they have a pretty sizeable impact on the final results (whether they say yes or no).

Also, when I first approach a table or group, I check them over to see who the main person is. The one that is getting all the attention. Why? Because that’s the person that you need to win over. If they say yes, then you’re in. You have to make them your friend, and give them attention. That’s what they want, and that’s how you can get them to give in. Give them what they want (attention), they’ll give you what you want (a yes).

So…there you have it folks. Like I said, I’m just touching on the subjects, giving you something to think about. In my opinion though, these are often over-looked by younger magicians, rushing out and not giving them the proper attention. The above can make or break a performance in my opinion. And if you have any questions, or wish for me to touch on a certain subject further, then please feel free to PM me.

Best,
Steve

P.S. This is not the ONLY way to establish yourself as someone that takes magic seriously, but an important factor in getting the respect of the audience. If they see you as a professional performer, they’ll treat you as such. Just my thoughts…

Last edited by a moderator:
I ALWAYS perform naked.

Just kidding, only sometimes. I think that when being a professional it IS a must to dress and act professionally. It's also common sense to do so. You have to imagine yourself in the place of your spectators. Imagine them, walking up to you as a complete mess in dirty clothes, talking like they're 4, and smelling like David Blaine after his 44 day stay in a glass box. It's just unprofessional. That's why it's so important to be as professional as possible even if that's not how you act on a regular basis. First impressions are a must, and once that barrier is broken, then you can get on with your regular performance style.

Mitchell

I dress in a Black button-ups and just regular jeans and shoes. My concept is to not scare the spectator and not overplaying their expectations.

Also important people to always open up with an introduction of your name.. ie: not David Blaine's "Hey.. wanna see some magic?" which in my experience is a really bad opener.

Aug 31, 2007
I'm so sorry. I'm sure this is a great read, Steve, but may I request that the words are changed to a colour that's brighter? Maybe white or yellow?

Thanks.

- harapan. magic!

Steve as always you usually have great post. I recently was hired as the house magician for a prominent night club and I wear black sports jacket black shirt nice jeans and black shoes and I agree with the cloths make the first impression. I usually walk up and introduce myself to one table and perform for them and the rest is history. Soon after tables next to me start asking me to perform and its a chain reaction. Now I started David Stones concept on making tips by having a sign in book with tips in the book already that of course I take out in front of my spectators to show them I don't work for free. And I leave the book on the table while I go to the next. This has been a terrific idea and my point is dress the part and get paid for it with confidence and it seems to be working great for me.

Hey all...

Sorry for my lack of comments today...I read a few throughout the day, but didn't respond since I was at a party. Anyways...just got home and thought I'd check out the forums before going to bed....

Anyhow, as for what Shane posted...I guess I'm being a bit hypocritical, but not really. Friday, I tried a new style at Red Robin. Instead of how I normally dress, I was more casual Friday. I wore a nice pair of dark jeans, and a black and silver pinstriped shirt. Obviously, black leather dress shows were a must, and a black leather watch pulled the image together. VERY nice, but more casual.

When I got there, I has quite a few compliments too, and the GM liked it also. I think it'll be nice to mix up my wardrobe from time to time, so yea. And for what it's worth, Kohls is where I get most of my clothes. And I don't pick them out either, since I don't have much taste in fashion. I normally get a few female friends of mine to give me a hand...otherwise, I'd be a mess! LOL!

But, thanks for all the nice comments everyone. Like always, I hope someone can actually take some useful information away from this thread, as that's my main goal.

Best.
Steve

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results