Quesions about Mechanics Pass

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I've been working on this move for nearly two months this now and, quite frankly, I can't make the move look good at all.
I have had the speed for a good month now.
I'm past the point to where it doesn't bust my knuckles and hurt after a few consecutive runs.

But I can't make it look as flawless as the tutorial.

I'm just at the point to where I'm not sure if it's practice or if I have inadvertently developed bad habits that I'm not seeing.

Anyone privy to Mechanics Pass have any suggestions (probably through PM)?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Wow, I just checked out the move. That looks really amazing, and I get a sense of how tough it is. I'm not familiar with the actual move but there are a couple things that I do when I'm practicing moves:

1. Numbered Practice: I know a lot of magicians who disagree with this but I will put a counter on my phone or tally on a scratch piece of paper and do it 100 times in a day. I find that this motivates me to practice more than I would normally.
2. Mirror Practice
3. Camera Practice
(Mirror practice and camera practice will help you in different ways)
4. Take a Break: Sometimes you just need to take a couple days and when you come back you'll surprise yourself with how competent you are

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
Wow, I just checked out the move. That looks really amazing, and I get a sense of how tough it is. I'm not familiar with the actual move but there are a couple things that I do when I'm practicing moves:

It's an impressive move--and one of the few one-handed color changes out there. All I know of in the realm of one handed changes is this and Clipshift. I prefer it to Clipshift only because, I think, one can make Mechanics Pass look more natural looking in a performance. I think the trade-off is that it doesn't look AS impossible, in comparison. But, as Always with one-handed anything; angles!

The tutorial is 40 minutes long and goes into virtually every detail on it and a second move that they do. It's a steal for $10--as long as you are willing to put the work into it. There's just something in the details I'm not picking up on that's been tripping me up for weeks. It's now blurring the lines of 'it'll come with practice' and 'you're really doing something wrong'.

1. Numbered Practice: I know a lot of magicians who disagree with this but I will put a counter on my phone or tally on a scratch piece of paper and do it 100 times in a day. I find that this motivates me to practice more than I would normally.
2. Mirror Practice
3. Camera Practice
(Mirror practice and camera practice will help you in different ways)
4. Take a Break: Sometimes you just need to take a couple days and when you come back you'll surprise yourself with how competent you are

I'm all about #1. I just remember that it took me a month to get to a point to where I could do it more than 8 times in a row and NOT have my hands hurt like crazy afterwards. I can get it to around 25 now; which is good to keep practicing what I do know so far. But man, it's a knuckle-buster, for sure!
You do have to get that practice in and get to a point to where you can look at what you're doing analytically and correct things here and there.

I haven't got to mirror and camera yet. Want to though I haven't moved beyond the point of just practicing it over my lap. I feel like I should get past this problem in the actual technique first.

And I am completely on board for the 'taking a break' approach. Oddly enough, I've done that with this move and it corrected some of my incorrect grips.

Thank you!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Have you checked out the impulse change? It's a sweet one handed change, Patrick Kun can do the setup with one hand as well using Paul Harris' pop out move (Art of Astonishment Volume 2 "Popping an Inflated Deck"). There's another couple but they slip my mind right now.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results