Real life cardistry ?

Nov 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hey guys, I've tried to make a short story long but I didn't succeed since english is not my mother language.

It isn't my intention to offense you nor to be mean, but :

Do laymen like cardistry ?
And if they do, more or less than magic ?

It comes from my perspective, as a magician (can thumb cut, charlier, spring, one sibyl, static, and few badly done cuts from D&D), and I wonder if cardistry as you guys do adds to the magic (so I know if it's worth the time to learn :D)

Sep 1, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
I'm going to say they like magic more. When I first bring out the deck I do maybe 3 Quick flourishes. It's hard to keep people entertained with it for more then a minute or two unless you have music in the background and it's choreographed. The thing is alot of it looks the same to laymen. You can show the Sybil and pandora's box and they don't really know the difference. It's kinda like hearing someone speak manderin or Cantonese if you don't know the language it all sounds the same. So when I bring out a deck I only do a couple of things but make sure there visual and look different. These are the flourishes I do for people.

Card spring
waterfall
carnahan fan
molecule four
Sybil
under pressure
vertigo

the three that get the biggest reactions are the card spring, under pressure, and vertigo.

Sep 6, 2009
USA
If you are performing cardistry and you stand there looking at your hands, not talking, with no showmanship, layman don't find it entertaining (or very few do). But if you have something of interest to say, and you present it in an entertaining manner it works well. You can get good reactions and impress layman.

Same with magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results