Rear palming

Okay, so I've been practicing the rear palm lately, but I've been having some issues. Couple questions:

Is a rear palmed card supposed to warp a bit, or does it lie completely flat on the palm of the hand?

Also, what's the best angle to show a rear palmed card?

Thanks.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Heh, the title made me chuckle.

I'm not sure if you really know the back palm. If you did, you would know the answer to your first question. The second becomes obvious if you do it in front of a mirror.

...that is unless you are palming cards with your rear.

...sorry just had to say it.:p

Jun 10, 2008
You little stalker!
No he's not talking about the Back palm. I belive he's talking about the palm used in the Winter Changed. I like to think of the rear palm as classic palming a coin. Imagine you were palming a con instead of a card and use the base of the thumb and pinky. It should warp a bit, just don't hold it in rear palm for too long. Hope that helps

Okay, so I've been practicing the rear palm lately, but I've been having some issues. Couple questions:

Is a rear palmed card supposed to warp a bit, or does it lie completely flat on the palm of the hand?
The palm is no way the easiest. Also, keep in mind that having very dry hands will make relying on this palm impossible, and your study will mostly be academic.

To help a bit, for a start, think of it as the CORNERS of the card is held between the 2 fingers mentioned in the book.

You could hold the card flat if you have some very sweaty palms, but its not needed, the card held will look exactly as the illustration in the book.

The card will be wrapped, the more moisture in your hand, and the longer the card stays palmed, the more wrapping you'll get ( e.g. handing the deck to be shuffled ), but its still nothing you can't fix, especially if you're doing a card to pocket ( fix it in your pocket and as you take it out by bending it the other side ). If you want to replace it on the deck, replace as you bend the deck lengthwise.

There are very few magicians to my knowledge who use the rear palm in their work. I had the pleasure of talking to one who uses it extensively, it certainly worth it if you take the time to learn it well.

Most Magicians use it for color changes, since the card is held for no longer than a second or two.

edit: oh yeah, the angle assuming card is held in the right hand: If you hold the card towards your chest ( the side of your hand will be towards the floor ) and slightly curling your fingers ( so only empty windows are seen ), then you'll pull it off with 180 safe angle. Other than that, always be careful of your direct left.

Hope this helps,

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds good.

So how useful is this palm in regard to other types of palming such as the classic, tenkai, etc.?
Depends on the card work and effects you do, and your personal preference. Tenkai palm ( and its variations ) is another palm not used alot in close up while standing up, though used alot while sitting, where you have a very big advantage since you can load or steal from your lap easily. There are few people who use it in strolling conditions, and I'm one of them. Look for Apollo Robbin's and Peter Harrison's material for good effects that uses it ( standing up)

Classic magicians palm is used extensively because A) Its easier to steal cards from different positions in the deck B) Has the best angles C) Anyone can do it regardless how dry/wet your hand is ( unlike rear palming ) D) You can do it standing or sitting ( unlike rear palming, where you have to stand up ) E) You can palm multiple cards very easily, something mortals can't do with rear palming :p

Rear palm allows you to show all your fingers, those who don't know this palm will be fooled by it.

At the end, it all comes down to the effect you want to do, and whats the best palm suited for it. There are even effects where you need the gamblers palm ( NOT cop ) and nothing else.

Hope this helps, keep thinking

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I meant that you can use it. I didn't mean that it's the only way to do it. I'm aware of much more preferable methods of palming cards for gambling/cheating purposes.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results