Regeneration on TED

Shawn Allison

Elite Member
Jul 5, 2012
So my college is having a TEDx event, and the application is open for being a speaker or performer. I want to apply to perform magic at the event. I want to perform regeneration by Blake Vogt. But my question is, because the performance will be posted to the official TED YouTube page, am I allowed to perform it? Or do I need to have permission from Blake Vogt? (tv rights, that kind of thing)

Reactions: Khaleel Olaiky

Khaleel Olaiky

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2013
This is an important thing I've never thought about that .... I'm not totally sure but i guess if you purchased it it's yours but again I am not sure about that .... and good luck :) post the video when it's out.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
This is a bit of a tough one to figure out. Here's my two cents on the issue:

Part of it is that, in magic, the good thing to do if you use copyrighted music in a show done for profit is to pay royalties (Although I'm not sure if that gets done a lot). But using an actual trick made by someone else? I mean, its done in busking and street magic all the time and no royalties are paid.
I mean, the same scenario has been done on televised shows like AGT. But I'm not sure how that completely plays out.

My guess is once the trick has been sold by the creator and sent to distributors such as Penguinmagic and Theory11, it's out of their hands and the use and application of it is not something that can be controlled anymore.

Don't take what I'm saying as gospel, and I am interested to see what Mr. Vogt and Mr. Bayme have to say on the issue; but I think it would be okay to perform the trick. So long as you don't claim to say that the trick is yours. Lest you become a leper of the magic community

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
So my college is having a TEDx event, and the application is open for being a speaker or performer. I want to apply to perform magic at the event. I want to perform regeneration by Blake Vogt. But my question is, because the performance will be posted to the official TED YouTube page, am I allowed to perform it? Or do I need to have permission from Blake Vogt? (tv rights, that kind of thing)
We definitely appreciate and respect the very act of making this post - for checking with the original creator, for acknowledging and respecting their original work.

Having said that: when we publish an effect at theory11 - we WANT you to use it as much and as often as you possibly can. We want you to dominate the world with it, and show as many audiences as you possibly can.

Obviously, we want you to perform it properly, and never expose the effect - but other than that, we welcome, encourage, and support performing anywhere and anytime you see fit. Go for it!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results