Relying too much on cards?

Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys, recently I have noticed that I have been focusing on card tricks as the way of performing magic. I realized this when my High School has a rule about no cards because it could be for gambling. It got me thinking that I don't know many other tricks that don't involve cards. I find it interesting that this site also relies on card tricks and cardistry and doesn't have a wide variety of other magic. Also recently there have been lots of posts about what deck to use or what kind of CARD tricks to get. I'm not saying it's bad to do card tricks but it's not good if you heavily rely on cards because there might be a moment where you don't have your cards and you simply cannot do any tricks because you've relied to much on just one genre of magic. That recently happened to me when I could not do an effect and just had to tell them no. I think it's wrong to turn someone down if they genuinely want to see magic. Anyway my new goal is trying to find DVD sets or books that have an expanded variety on general magic, stuff that can be found in the everyday world. I heard the DVD function (9) is a good DVD to get but I'm quite unsure because they're mixed reviews.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I would say hit your local library. Lots of good books available with tonnes of great magic with no cards.

I recently went to help at a camp where no cards were allowed. Suddenly I had to do magic with only things I could find outside. I did broken and restored twig a lot, Paul Harris' Leaf effect, Rocks across, and lots of manipulations with random objects.

As for DVD's I would say On the Spot rocks.

Jan 20, 2009
California
I would highly recommend harry Lorrayne apocalypse's books
there is stuff with coins,cards,rubberbands,cups and balls,
matches,ropes,mentalism, you name its in there and so much more.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Anyway my new goal is trying to find DVD sets or books that have an expanded variety on general magic, stuff that can be found in the everyday world.

I'll second Greg Wilson's On the Spot. Apocalypse (although it is an awesome resource) may be a little overkill for what you are looking for.

I think the best route is coins. Get Eric Jones's Metal and a copy of Bobo's Modern coin magic.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Maybe it's just me but there's a couple of elephants in the center of the room that have yet been mentioned . . . the Wilson Course & Tarbell both have loads of stuff not tied to cards. The other source I'd strongly recommend is the Bill Tarr series NOW YOU SEE IT; NOW YOU DON'T in that you can create magic of your own, on the spot once you know basic slight-of-hand.

Stevens Magic used to sell VHS tapes on Improvisational Magic, I don't know if they've been transferred to a DVD format but it may be worth asking about (Stevens has one of the largest selections of magic video world wide).

Bobo is an excellent resource but you will want to invest in a couple of important gaffs when it comes to coin magic and too, some of the coins featured are becoming more and more expensive and harder to get (English Penny's). On the topic of coin magic however, get yourself a Copper & Silver as well as the Sun & Moon sets and you'll be blowing minds skill free; they are two of the more popular gaffed coin effects out there along with bits like the dollar thirty-five cent routine and the classic Penny & Dime.

The Darwin books on the Thumb Tip are priceless for someone in your position, I'd put those rather high on your To-Do list.

While I loathe those that mix magic with mentalism there are some items available, one that's about to come out in the next week or two, that may likewise prove of value to you. On that note I should point out that Lybrary.com has a section filled with FREE materials on numerous topics including magic.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I like Calen's DVD. Lots of the effects rely on gimmicks but there are a few things that are pretty sweet. If you want things you can perform at school I would look into Greg Wilson's On the Spot DVD :)

Jan 22, 2012
I like Calen's DVD. Lots of the effects rely on gimmicks but there are a few things that are pretty sweet. If you want things you can perform at school I would look into Greg Wilson's On the Spot DVD :)

That looks really cool! Looks like a DVD I would buy thanks.

Bizzaro

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Vegas
www.smappdooda.com
Anything like the aforementioned "On the Spot" or his other video "Off the cuff". Harlan had a whole set on Impromptu magic back in the VHS days. Not sure if they ever made it to DVD. (I could check but you have fingers and google) Learn magic with money like Mayne's Ghost Bills. Rubber band magic is all over the place. Your options are vast.

Put down the cards and no one gets hurt.

Dec 29, 2011
There is countless books and dvds on coins and rubber bands out there. Something nobody has mention is anytime anywhere by Sankey, got some really good stuff on there, all impromptu.

Jebzy

Elite Member
Jun 22, 2012
Latvia
I was also struck with card tricks, but then I realized the same as you and now I am reading BoBo's coin magic and just got the Eddy Ray's Complete Course in Cups and Balls.

I find it interesting that this site also relies on card tricks and cardistry and doesn't have a wide variety of other magic.

I disagree with that, because in the Wire are a lot of different tricks, with rubberbands or coins or something else.

Jan 22, 2012
I disagree with that, because in the Wire are a lot of different tricks, with rubberbands or coins or something else.

I meant like theory11 official tricks that are in their magic trick section not the on the wire. I do agree that the wire has a very good amount of general magic.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results