Right-Hand Grip - Help!

Hi,

By nature I hold the deck in my right hand. I keep the index, middle, ring, and sometimes pinky on the left side, and my thumb on the right. When I riffle down, as in a spectator calling stop, I do it with my thumb on the right side.

Of course, when I fan with both hands for a spectator to pick a card, I do it to the left (I think).

Without giving the method(s) away, Distortion, some of Dangerous, and maybe Prophet all are taught with the deck held in the left hand. Obviously, their right hand is then dribbling the cards and such.

While I can sometimes swap it out and figure out the moves myself, it's usually extremely difficult to master an effect when it's taught in the opposite handling. I am not ambidextrous, so I can't use my left hand for holding the deck and performing the sleights.

I've learned to live with it, but now I received the Trilogy (it's my birthday today! :)), and it's taught pretty much entirely using the left hand to hold the deck.

It's gone too far. Can anybody help? I'd like to know a way to use my right hand or left a bit easier, and every time I try to use my left I'm very clumsy.

If you don't have any suggestions for that, then do you have any ideas of how I should get myself accustomed to using my left hand? Are there any techniques or something?

Note: When I say "holding the deck in my left hand", I mean, the entire sleight or trick is mirrored, and I can't change it around.

Thanks! - sky_lark

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
I hope you know there's a rewind button, and that you can actually click it and it'll go back! You can watch it more than once, and get it down. Just keep rewatching it. It's not that hard.

-Eugene

I hope you know there's a rewind button, and that you can actually click it and it'll go back! You can watch it more than once, and get it down. Just keep rewatching it. It's not that hard.

-Eugene

Yes, I have a relatively new DVD player with a rewind button. However, it's not that. I said clearly that I can work twice as hard to get it down, but I'd just prefer to be able to look at it right on move for move.

Oct 17, 2007
Aussie NSW
Well If you are right handed and you find it hard to do it right handed watch some lee asher stuff he is left handed or just rewind and practice to get it down.

Well If you are right handed and you find it hard to do it right handed watch some lee asher stuff he is left handed or just rewind and practice to get it down.

Again-I realize that I can practice it over and over, but that's not what I'm getting at here. Before giving me this advice, rewind yourselves and re-read my post.

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure what the handling is but I am right handed and I hold a deck in my right hand; or if that's normal or not.

Feb 28, 2008
I wish I could help you (I do everything as a lefty handed magician myself) but I think you just have to work on it and work on it and you just get better at figuring out how to translate everything to left handedness (not a word, I know).

For example, working on the Jones change took a long time because they kept telling me to hold the card at the pips, but then it wouldn't work because it was on the wrong hand.

Just be glad you got the trilogy and not a Tudor DVD because the way he explains is just so strictly right handed.

Anyways, just be patient and remember that everything they say is the opposite and eventually it gets easier for you, and I think helps you understand the method a bit better in the long run because you have to disect it all.

Good luck...

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
said clearly that I can work twice as hard to get it down,

.... 6/(about) 300 ****ing words....very clear... you shouldve made it clearer by bolding it......
"extremely difficult to master an effect"

now all i have to say... is get over it you dumb mother fcuker <--(Spelled wrongly? =D)

-Eugene

Apr 9, 2008
Singapore
I'm a left hander myself and I have difficult watchings the dvds. But I try my best to picture the mirror image of the video and perfect my handling of the cards. The only advice I can give you is keep practicing. Life is never fair, deal with it.

I face many difficulties practicing card magic because I'm a left hander and I have sweaty palms. But I try not to let those obstacles prevent me from what I love to do. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
you might be able to record the whole thind with a gamecam when playing it on the computer and mirror it using some software... or get a mirror right up next to the tv and learn it off the mirror! but all the text will be backwards.....and you dont sound like Leonardo da Vinci.... i would just practise in the left hand untill its comfortable which will solve the problem for all DVDs ect

bd

Jun 26, 2008
San Francisco, California
I'm disgusted by the way the members of Theory11 have been treating you on this thread.

I apologize for them, sky_lark.

===

As for your question, there is a very 'simple' way to get around the whole left-hand issue.

Basically, you rip the DVD, put it into your video editor (I'd reccomend Sony Vegas - PM me), and apply a mirroring effect to it.

If you need help with doing this, just PM me.

bd

Jun 26, 2008
If you mirror the video, the text of the video will be mirrored too.

Oh ye of little video editing knowledge. ;)

There are multiple ways to get around the reversed-text problem:

1) Use dual screens, play the mirrored on one monitor and the normal on the other.

2) when mirroring the video, select an area around the text / type in the text yourself

3) learn the move by watching... and if you really need to read the text, you can pause it and take five seconds to read it backwards.

Cheers,
Ben

BrianationX

Banned
Jul 13, 2008
I kinda feel sorry for you.
Really
You wont be able to learn ShowOff
Its hard enough to learn it at a regular grip.

What I would recommend doing is
I got nothing
Sorry man..:(

I have the same problem, but I do everything like a lefty. Iam a right hander but I dont do any card moves with my right hand. I find it easy to learn stuff when its filmed from the front. But the over the shoulder view is hard. Its weird, when ever I try to teach my friends a move they have trouble doing it the way I do.

JDEN

Eugene Soh: Uh.. what? I'm sorry, I just thought it wasn't necessary to bold key words. And also, I don't think your next comment was really needed. Way to show maturity.

d34thg0d: Yeah, that would work. Maybe I could learn a certain section, pause the DVD, and work it out. Then move on. Thanks.

frezzing aces: Hmm.. I don't want to go too far with the DVD stuff, so do you have any suggestions on getting comfortable with using the deck in my left hand? For coin palming, people say to just hold it in your hand while doing every day activities. Would that work for cards?

benjamind: I thank you for your kind words. :) I'm not sure what the process of ripping is, and I don't want to get into any illegal stuff, but thanks again for your offer!

BrianationX: Ha, don't feel sorry. It's just a little bump in the road!

jaydinho: Perhaps... OTS (Over The Shoulder) view would actually help?

To all: Thanks for your help! It's appreciated! :)

bd

Jun 26, 2008
benjamind: I thank you for your kind words. :) I'm not sure what the process of ripping is, and I don't want to get into any illegal stuff, but thanks again for your offer!

Altering or copying files from a copyrighted source for redistribution is illegal.

Changing the videos that you purchased so that you can learn properly is not.

If you really feel the need to be safe, you could always send a PM to Daniel, Dan, Dave, etc.

Best of luck,
Ben

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
im right handed but i hold the deck at my right hand like you sky_lark but everything is doin well for me i also have the trilogy by the way the only trick i really cant do is the collector...coz of the riffle you have to do at the back to see the aces... im still figuring out what works best so i cant finally do it... heres an advice....practice... that all there is to it...

I hold the deck in my right hand aswell, and this is what I do.

If the DVD has voice, then I would watch through the whole trick maybe once or twice, without a deck in my hand, then I would replay it, with a deck in my hand and follow along with the voice, but I won't look at the screen so I don't get confused - If that makes sense.

If the DVD is just video, but no voice, then I would again watch through it a couple of times without a deck, then grab a deck and follow along, this time watching the screen, and pausing throughout the trick to follow along. During this I will always think to myself "do everything opposite they show" and so far its been working.

Hopefully this helps.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results