Roughing Fluids/Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2017
Great thread. I made my first DIY roughed pack to duplicate a trick that did not fool Penn and Teller the other night. Penn gave the clue that "Teller is smooth" and the he himself is "A bit rough" which gave the magician the info he needed to know that he hadn't fooled them. The trick though, was excellent and I can almost reproduce it flawlessly. Just need one more coat I think of Rust-Oleum matte to keep anything from peeking out.
could you dm or tell me which episode that was and which magician so I could make it to?

Dec 2, 2017
I didn't mean to ignore your comment but you were right about my comments. I am deeply sorry about that, but I see they have been edited. I'll pay more close attention in the future.

Also, the original construction was just done poorly. With the tips provided to me by RealityOne my two new R&S decks I made work beyond expectation.

I tried looking for another brand but I couldn't find anything other than Rust-oleum. I ended up using it anyway and it works well. Like REALLY well. I had to take some of it off that's how well it worked. If anyone can't find Krylon, I recommend this brand as a substitute.
which version of Rust-oleum do you use?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
So seeing as this thread is fully functioning again, has anyone tried Daniel Madison's new "Villain" Roughing Device?

Looks like a regular ROughing STick to me, but I guess the formula is different.

Aug 20, 2017
On a similar note, apart from ID and the trick that I mentioned to in this thread, I see almost nothing in books or even online that explore other ideas that we can use these decks for. I've been experimenting with dropping multiple cards 'face up' in the deck and hiding them. Does anybody know of a resource that shows multiple uses for such a deck?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
On a similar note, apart from ID and the trick that I mentioned to in this thread, I see almost nothing in books or even online that explore other ideas that we can use these decks for. I've been experimenting with dropping multiple cards 'face up' in the deck and hiding them. Does anybody know of a resource that shows multiple uses for such a deck?

Encyclopedia of Card Tricks (chapter on diachylon)
Greater Magic (chapter on rough and smooth)
Rough Stuff by Joe Berg

See also: https://www.theory11.com/forums/threads/roughing-trick-ideas.43327/#post-444939

Sep 26, 2020
So seeing as this thread is fully functioning again, has anyone tried Daniel Madison's new "Villain" Roughing Device?

I've used Roughing Stick, Villian, and Science Friction. RS is basically a more versatile, more invisible Villain. But Science Friction is in a class of its own.

SF works best from the jump, and then RS/V just lose ground from there. The wax from RS rubs off on non-gimmicked cards, making them sticky and your RS gimmicked card less effective. I sometimes use RS to quickly mock up a proof of concept gimmick while I'm practicing routines with ratty old cards. It's effortless to apply the wax to a card and experiment with alternative handlings for your tricks. But for performances, SF wins by a mile.

Aug 24, 2015
Science Friction worked fine but expensive. I currently am using Testore but have used the Krylon in the past and it worked fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results