Routine Help

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
Hey all!

Recently I was asked to perform at a launch party for a company that had signed a deal with Disney in Mauritius and I need to create a routine around that theme. I need help as to coming up with ideas for strong magic that meets the following criteria:

The effects must be visual so as to work around the language barrier.
The effects need to be easy to follow yet powerful.
The effect needs to play for both stage and close up as I'm not yet sure of the venue size.

Essentially what I'm asking is for you guys in the forums to give me ideas for effects, I came up with sort of a story line that goes something like this...

I would magically produce a bottle of shampoo that has a superhero character on it and have it visually change into another superhero, the reason why I used shampoo is so I could pretend that it was a magic potion that would give me the powers of the superhero on the bottle and then I would perform effects based on the superhero on the bottle.

(This routine idea is based on the off chance that I'd have a translator available.)

The gig is taking place roughly around the end June, beginning of July so I have the time to create and perfect some ideas.

Thank you all in advance and I'm looking forward to any help that you guys could provide.

:)

Reactions: Josh Burch

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have some close up ideas. Namely because Tenyo Magic has some effects that are literally Disney based. And they are easy to follow effects.

Even though you already stated the issues. I think it would be best to find out what size the venue would be--as it would be exponentially easier to know what you're going to work in the sense of close up or stage. Are they going to have you in a booth for close up? Or would they want you to stroll?

And knowing if you would or wouldn't have a translator, I think would also be detrimental to what you would select for a routine.

Right now, I think it's just best to throw some ideas around. I'll start with 'Insta-Cube', 'Ambitious Card' (try using a deck of blank cards only that people can sign), 'Spread-Wave' (considering if you don't need a translator).

Also, what kind of budget do you have to work with? I have some ideas that are prop-magic based, but I don't want to make a bunch of suggestions that could break the bank and/or be completely useless to you.

Sep 1, 2013
South Africa
I have some close up ideas. Namely because Tenyo Magic has some effects that are literally Disney based. And they are easy to follow effects.

Even though you already stated the issues. I think it would be best to find out what size the venue would be--as it would be exponentially easier to know what you're going to work in the sense of close up or stage. Are they going to have you in a booth for close up? Or would they want you to stroll?

And knowing if you would or wouldn't have a translator, I think would also be detrimental to what you would select for a routine.

Right now, I think it's just best to throw some ideas around. I'll start with 'Insta-Cube', 'Ambitious Card' (try using a deck of blank cards only that people can sign), 'Spread-Wave' (considering if you don't need a translator).

Also, what kind of budget do you have to work with? I have some ideas that are prop-magic based, but I don't want to make a bunch of suggestions that could break the bank and/or be completely useless to you.

One of my biggest problems is buying magic props because of the shipping costs and such it becomes extremely expensive (as I live in South Africa) therefore it would be best to generate ideas for magic that I can curate myself.

Jan 17, 2015
Colour changes on a superhero themed deck of cards? Or perhaps a chicago opener type of thing?

Good to know a venue.

However elaborating on Mr Hurley ballerina hank is quite good, like plucking a fluttering red cape off superman or fantasa-mickey (been a long time since I've watched the episode with the dancing brooms).

Beware some disney tenyo effects are NOT for stage and can be dismissed because it's easy to figure out (like the new blue crystal :mad:) or too childish.

Oh and who are you performing too?

Jan 17, 2015
Oh a miser dream with red and blue coins/chips, then produce a full-sized hero figure? (show empty then load it in)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results