Routine Structure Allegory

Sep 1, 2007
I wrote this a while back. I figured it might be helpful, or something.

----------------------------------------------------------

I've been thinking. I do that sometimes. The following is my idea of how to structure a routine.

A magic routine, an act, should be like a Beethoven symphony. It should consist of beween three and five movements--tricks. Take, for example, his most well known work, Symphony No. 5 in C minor (the "da da da DUM" one) He starts out with a forceful theme that grabs attention. Take for instance, a trick like sinful, or a powerful Paul Harris card effect like The Las Vegas Leaper or The Dehydrated Deck. It should be attention grabbing, so a good visual effect would work well. Coin Bite, Punctured, Slam, etc.

The next movement is very artful and more subtle. The trick should continue to draw the spectator in. An effect such as silver dream would work very well. This is also the place to do an ambitious card routine. Mercury would work well also, as well as Strange Travelers. It should be eerie and something the spectator isn't ready for.

The Third movement is very important as it is the penultimate. It should raise the bar in terms of what the spectator is expecting to see. Something along the lines of indecent, perhaps or a trick using loops. Even Stigmata would be good. This is also a good place for another good, visual paul Harris effect.

Now the crescendo. This is where one should completely shatter the conventions of a magic trick. This is where to do Prophet, Fraud, maybe Panic (depending on how you set up the previous acts). Anything with fire. Something flashy. The last possible moment should be something extremely visual This might be the time for a levitation, but one should be careful with how it is presented. This is the movement after which the spectator will leave and the one that should resonate. He or she should be humming it all the way home.

Like a good symphony, the routine should blend together in terms of patter, mannerisms, and effects.

Also, listen to Beethoven. Just do. It might help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Here's some stuff from Wiki aboot (yes, aboot) it:

Archeology and direct evidence (such as the frescoes at the Saint Sophia Cathedral in Kiev) show a variety of musical instruments in ancient Russia. Authentic folk instruments include the livenka (accordion) and woodwinds like zhaleika, svirel and kugikli, as well as numerous percussion instruments: buben, bubenci, kokshnik, korobochka, lozkhi, rubel, treschetka, vertushka and zvonchalka.

Chastushkas are a kind of Russian folk song with a long history. They are typically rapped, and are humorous or satiric.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results