S&M v4 Review

2 Legit 2 Quit

Some people were asking for a review, so here it is.

Here's the description from Theory11: "The fourth edition Smoke & Mirrors feature an elegant, simplified back design and unique (never before been done) metallic ink. Dressed to impress with a dark green shimmer - no longer just black and white."

The first thing I noticed upon opening these cards is that they are thin. They are around 5-10 cards thinner than the v3's when compared side-by-side. For me this is great. The "metallic" ink thing seems like a gimmick, as you can't tell unless you really look at them. In the right light, they seem metallic, but it shouldn't influence your decision to buy them.

The Box - The box looks very nice. The main differences between this and the other S&M's are that it doesn't say 'Smoke' or 'Mirrors' in the middle. Instead it's just blank. Also, one of the obvious changes: the box is green. They now have a D&D logo seal on them, and on the bottom it says "Crafted from recycled paper". The finish on the box is very nice - it's not glossy like previous editions. It's more of a matte finish.

The Cards - The cards come with a advertisement card that is green on the front and has the back design on the back. They also include the regular double backer, which is nice for some card tricks. Of course, they spread and fan perfectly out of the box, as most cards do. They don't look too flashy, but rather have an elegance about them. I love the simplistic design.

The Court Cards - Many people were saying they didn't put up a picture of the court cards, so I will describe them here. They are the same as previous versions, but wherever yellow ink would be on them there is now metallic green ink. This is the main place where you can really tell that the ink is metallic. This actually looks very good. Rather than being flashy and noticeable, it blends right in with the design.

The ace of spades and the jokers have not changed from previous versions.

The Stock and Finish - The stock is excellent. I don't know if it's aristocrat or whatever, but it feels great regardless. It is very thin, but it has a lot of snap. It doesn't bend very easily like the v3's and it feels just right. The finish is also good. It doesn't say on the box but I believe it's the standard air-cushion finish. There are dimples, so it is not a smooth finish. I have not had these cards for very long, but so far there has been no clumping.

Durability - I have not tested the durability of these cards, but I think these are going to last a while. definitely not as long as Aladdins, but longer than Bikes.

Conclusion - I give these a 7/10. They are a bit pricey and might not last very long, but they are definitely great for your collection or great cards for performances if you can afford them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 2, 2009
anyone notice on the back of some of these cards they have spot missing from the green?
like 7 of clubs or king of diamonds?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Looking through, yes, there's a small white spot on my 7 of Clubs and a small black spot on the 7 of hearts. Not a huge deal.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results