Saturday Night Contest - One Year Anniversary

rousselle

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2008
www.rousselle.com
Me & Magic in the last year

I came here by way of being a playing card collector. On a couple of different occasions, I started to get into card-related magic. After all, I have the cards, I may as well learn how to do something fun with them (in addition to playing the many card games I like to play).

I've enjoyed learning from the various DVDs I've picked up along the way. This most recent foray into magic was the first time I started getting into the DVDs and exploring the magic-related web sites. But after over a year or so of watching the DVDs and occasionally trying out a trick here or there, I found Theory11 and two things changed.

The first thing that changed for me, which is partly the result of my introduction to Theory11 and partly just because I'd reached that stage in my development, I finally moved from "studying" to practicing. Regularly, seriously practicing. The advice of Lee Asher in particular moved me from dabbling to seriously setting out to master a particular basic skill (a couple of them, actually), with the intention of eventually incorporating them into a trick and, from there, into a routine. In essence, I stopped surveying the field and decided to get down to brass tacks. As Mr. Asher points out, don't try to learn a new trick every week. Pick just a few tricks and master them. Practice, practice, practice.

The second thing that has changed for me in the last year is entirely attributable to my discovering Theory11: I have decided to start participating in the conversation. I am slowly stepping out of lurker mode. The forums (well, fora) here are constructive; the dialog worthwhile. While negative participants are occasionally reprimanded, the wholesale censorship I see on other sites doesn't appear to be happening. I've learned a lot from you all, and even more, I've been able to start contributing a little bit here and there -- to the point where someone even commented favorably upon my contribution to the discussion.

Yeah, sure, I'm an old fogey and my ego is a bit calloused by this point. As a former radio personality and news hound, I'm no stranger to putting it out there. But as a relative newcomer to this community, it's a pleasure to finally find a forum where I feel like I can learn and contribute and enjoy listening in on other's conversations.

It's been a good year for moving forward in my magic. I'm looking forward to what the next year brings.

Regards,

--Allan

Jul 30, 2008
Theory 11 really sparked off my interest in magic.

Awesome tricks, exemplary artists, fabulous teaching.

Rock on theory11.

Am I too late? :eek:

May 30, 2008
Srry for my english ...

Well, i started like 2 years ago. I wose in the shopping mall, than i saw a litle store of magic, so i went , i bought some tricks, i wose really enjoying that, it was very fun to me to know how to do some magic tricks. Than i started with some resarch about magic, i found some sites... and again, i bought more tricks, i wose getting better skills, i started making performances for my parents, at first time , didn't work that great, but i learned that magic needs time . Than i wose whatching some videos on youtube, than i saw something named Theory11, so i ask my self ---> whats that ? its a magic shop ? or name of a magic trick ? or name from the guy ? , so i went to google and search for theory11, than i saw the site. First wen i saw the site, wose totally diferent from any other site of magic, i saw 1on1 and i didn't know what wose that , so everything was new for me on this site. This is a site of magic totally diferent of any other tipe of site, just amazing.

Thank you

Bryan

Ps: well i think i posted this wen the " contest " where finish, sorry about that, becose i leave in Brazil, but its ok, its just interesting the story i think .

jonraiker

vp of development
Team member
Aug 5, 2007
Florida
instagram.com
Before I announce the winner, I wanted to thank everyone for sharing all of these great stories and experiences from the last year. This was probably my favorite SNC yet. Amazing stuff.

Our favorite post of the night - ironically his 1,000th post - was from Ben Long, tonight's winner. More-than-honorable mentions go to spades, MKulik, Sean_Raf, and praetoritevong. Absolutely loved your posts.

Thanks again to all who participated. Here's to another year with some exciting things to come.

Where has Theory11 taken my magic?

I can tell you this a year ago I had a completely different view of fellow magician relationships amongst each other. Allow me to explain, I have been performing for the past 5 years and I have always been a pretty shy guy when it came to other magicians in fact I was always told it was better to keep to yourself so you dont pick up others bad habits. I was a member of E before coming here on our grand opening and the exceptance amongst other members was phenomenal. I felt more comfortable with my thoughts to others as well as my magic. I have never really cared what other people have thought of me but I care what I think and now I'm glad I found this home. Talking with all of you guys has opened my eyes to new techniques and methods to my magic allowing me to grow into mature performer. So without further to do Thank you guys to all of you!!!!!

Shane:D

I was asked to perform for a private party just after T11 opened and I was good at the moves and the tricks but I had one major problem. I forgot the tricks I would plan to do. My major problem was routining. I didn't have any routines to work with so my magic wasn't half as strong as it could have been.

It was the idea of theory 11 that gave me the incentive to create my first original coin routine. T11 inspired me to go above and beyond and gave me right now, what I believe to be, the strongest coin routine I know.

The routine basically outlines the first ten theories of magic with but a single coin. I begin by producing the coin, then change it multiply it, transpose it with another etc etc. The routine essentially finishes with a burst of flame (handy dandy flash loader) and the patter saying that this is theory 11.

The patter works great with it and I verbally outline the ten theories of magic to the spec. Theory 11s release essentially inspired the whole idea of routining and strengthened my magic hugely.

Trent

Sorry if Im late

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results