Saw

Jan 16, 2008
Hi guys,

Just a quick question as a sort of survey on an idea of mine; Has anyone tried doing SAW by Sean Fields on their wrist?
2nd question; Has anyone actually let 2 spectators hold the ends of the thread, and let THEM saw your neck? Regardless of the dangers that might imply, it seems a pretty nifty idea to me.

Thanks for posting!

::dAvid

Jul 12, 2008
Kendal
David - judging by your post I will assume that you have not purchased SAW. Personally I did and regretted it. This is because in the instructional video he lists a number of things that may occur when one tries to do the trick and if any of them do you should not use the trick. I planned to ignore this, then regretted it, then regretted buying it in the first place.

As for doing the effect on your wrist - if you do it on the inside of your wrist you may just be able to get it to work, but it won't appear to penetrate your wrist very deeply. With the neck it can be made to look as though it is going right through the middle. You may have more success on the back of your wrist, although if you're a manly hairy man this could cause problems too. Also if you do it on your wrist how will you do the sawing motion? It requires both hands.

I would advise you not to try having spectators doing the sawing because when it is yourself, you know how fast to do it, but no-one else is going to feel the heat increasing until you get friction burn. Seriously - Sean advises that you lick the polyester you do it with in order to lubricate it because friction is a real problem. You may also like to consider who is going to want to hold a piece of thread that you have salivated all over...

Just some thoughts. I like the way you're thinking. Keep it up.
In theory this trick can be performed on any part of the body within reason, but you will have difficulty with the wrist.

See how much regret I have? I blame that "If you could start all over again" thread...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 16, 2008
Thanks a lot for the heads up Wordsmith. It was just a brainstorm idea. I tried myself, and ended up with a completely different effect.
Thanks again. :)

Jan 10, 2008
I'm not going to discuss methodology, but I will tell you this. It's not ideal on the wrist, but I just tried it, and it worked. The neck is ideal though. I also have let the laity touch/light tug on the thread, while it's in my neck. To do this I openly gesture for two people to come up to me, and if they don't get it, a say in a very distorted and choked up voice, "Come here!" They usually follow instructions and I place one end of the thread in each hand. I don't have them try to simulate the 'Cutting action' though. I just merely have them hold one to the ends. I've only had one instance where they had no trouble following through with these simple instructions. Most of the time though, the spectator either turns away from me or gets too freaked out or choked up to follow through. God bless geek!

Jan 16, 2008
Industrialchild, I just tried it too, and indeed it only sawed about 1 cm from the surface, and with my black thread, it looks so unconvincing. I also tried it with a needle, and it looked a biit better. This makes me want to get fat again...
Btw I'm not geek magician, just putting together a little show with a story to tell. SAW happened to suit my purposes. Thanks.

Jan 10, 2008
LOL!!! That's funny as hell man. "I wanna get fat..." :( Good Stuff man. Yeah, same story for me actually, it looks ok...but the neck is ideal. I'm curious, what story are you putting together for platform work, they ties in with cutting through your neck/wrist?
I think it's great though, that you're willing to incorporate something like that into a story. I guess what I'm trying to say is, PM me. I wanna pick your brain about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 17, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI
Hi guys,

Just a quick question as a sort of survey on an idea of mine; Has anyone tried doing SAW by Sean Fields on their wrist?
2nd question; Has anyone actually let 2 spectators hold the ends of the thread, and let THEM saw your neck? Regardless of the dangers that might imply, it seems a pretty nifty idea to me.

Thanks for posting!

::dAvid

Yes. I actually thought about doing saw on my wrist about a week ago. it actually works really well. and it still looks good.

When i performed this over halloween I did try it on my arm, but the gimmick didnt allow it to stay in my arm and kept popping out. Sick never worked for me either.

Maybe if you asked the specs just to hold it, and you garroted yourself on the thread, saying its a slow mo of what would happen in a fast car with cheese wire or something.

Simon_Magic

Jan 16, 2008
When i performed this over halloween I did try it on my arm, but the gimmick didnt allow it to stay in my arm and kept popping out. Sick never worked for me either.

Maybe if you asked the specs just to hold it, and you garroted yourself on the thread, saying its a slow mo of what would happen in a fast car with cheese wire or something.

Simon_Magic

That's a nice idea for explaining the slower motion, but I would have to tweak the patter a bit. Thanks.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results