Scorch | Jacob Hanson

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Scorch by Jacob Hanson​
Fire Magic | Easy | Download | 8 min. | $8.99 | http://www.papercranemagic.com/scorch.htm

The ability to control fire represented a dramatic change in human evolution. Fire meant heat, security; it yielded dominion over the beasts to humankind. And yet, after nearly 400,000 years passage, there have been no significant changes in our understanding of this force... until now. Jacob Hanson appears on scene with a remarkable gift. A gift not merely extended to the magic community but, indeed, unto the ages.

All jokes aside, Scorch is a self-igniting matchbook that uses borrowed items. No chemicals, nothing is added, nothing is taken away. Scorch is impromptu and the handling is extremely easy. This effect is very practical for almost any performing situation. This is the only self-igniting matchbook that requires no preparation. The effect is visual and the spectator will see the matches burn in a flash right before their eyes.

There has been many 'Self-Igniting Matchbook' effects on the market, such as Andrew Gerard's contribution in LIT and PYRO KINESIS by Magic Smith, so what's new here?

Well, for one, SCORCH is COMPLETELY and 100% IMPROMPTU - NO GIMMICKS INVOLVED, NOTHING TO ADD, HIDE OR TAKE AWAY, NO CHEMICALS INCLUDED, NO PREP, NO SET-UP, ALL YOU NEED IS A MATCHBOOK (AND YES, IT CAN BE BORROWED, TOO!)

Fire is a dramatic element, and what Jacob has brought here is a perfectly choreographed routine.

The handling is relatively easy and practical for any occasion, so after just minutes of practice, you'll have this completely down... and, of course, plays well for any situation or enviroment you're in.

Because of it's simplicity, you can pretty much adapt any presentation for SCORCH - you'll just need some creative thinking on your part. I love the 'voodoo' presentation one mentioned on the Cafe, and I've been using it, lately.

Jacob goes over the handling a few times to ensure you understand and comprehend everything, although, it's more than enough in this 8 minute download... IT'S SUPER EASY!

The method behind SCORCH is clever and it's one of those, "Why didn't I think of that?!" kind of methods.

The visual aspect of the entire matchbook blazing into a flame is beautiful - and if we know our spectators, they love quick and visual piecies of strange, and this fits PERFECTLY!

I really don't think I can add anything else, the demo is just enough to see how well this looks and plays out.

But I ABSOULTELY LOVE SCORCH - 1) it fits my style 2) I've been looking into a 'Self-Igniting Matchbook' for awhile, and 3) because of all the positive factors of SCORCH I'd say you'll be crazy to overlook this, and nothing can stand up to it.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Mar 21, 2010
@heavymetalholic - I, too, had picked this up, and I'll also be glad to answer your question. The angles are decent here, you can't have anyone behind you and no one to your right side, but the visual and blazing (pun intended) aspect and the factors of Scorch completely outweights the angle 'issues'.

Well, i have the what not for andrew gerard's, and Pyro kinesis..... eh why not one more!!! I mean, with all three, you have a lot of freedom to do these almost identical effects under whatever conditions you'd prefer. I think pyro kinesis looks better than scorch, and is more controlled (timing wise) than Gerard's but Gerard's can be done in someone elses hand, and finally, Scorch is impromptu.. and really cheap

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
Well, i have the what not for andrew gerard's, and Pyro kinesis..... eh why not one more!!! I mean, with all three, you have a lot of freedom to do these almost identical effects under whatever conditions you'd prefer. I think pyro kinesis looks better than scorch, and is more controlled (timing wise) than Gerard's but Gerard's can be done in someone elses hand, and finally, Scorch is impromptu.. and really cheap

YES! Each one has one factor over the other, just like you stated:

*ANDREW GERARD'S: Can be done in the spectator's hands
*PYRO KINESIS: Allows you more control of when the matchbook is set on fire
*SCORCH: Completely and 100% Impromptu

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results