Sensitive hands... and card magik...

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited, thanks to all of the awesome and uber cool magic kiddos here at Theory11. Your advice and professionalism regarding my many postings here on this site has been invaluable....

Last edited by a moderator:

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I am sorry, I can't read these anymore, and I know your going to say, "Well, don't click it".

This is the second stupid thread I have seen, how about somthing to do with magic? Or in your case "Magik"?

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
some advice- if your moves impress, dont worry about what you look like on camera... dont be self-conscience! im sure it wont matter in the long run

kevin

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Homer Liwag has some of the worst looking hands ever...
That hasn't stopped him from being an amazing close up magician.

Its all in your presentation and skill.

Katie

PS: I suffer from Lupus, which means sometimes my hands/fingers are smurf blue, swollen and I can't feel them. They are a bit purple in Katiefly...no one really cares though... its all about your magic.

Oct 24, 2007
Katie Egleston said:
PS: I suffer from Lupus, which means sometimes my hands/fingers are smurf blue, swollen and I can't feel them. They are a bit purple in Katiefly...no one really cares though... its all about your magic.

That's true. I saw the Katiefly video and I never noticed Katie's hands, I was watching the coins go across. Do your magic/flourishing good and that's what people will be watching. Unless they're professional hand models.

"I'm a hand model, mama. A finger jockey. We think differently than the face and body boys... we're a different breed." - David Duchovny (Zoolander)

:) Peace!

Tyler

Aug 31, 2007
I am sorry, I can't read these anymore, and I know your going to say, "Well, don't click it".

This is the second stupid thread I have seen, how about somthing to do with magic? Or in your case "Magik"?

Well Don't Click It. And this totally has to do with performing magic. People these days...

As for the original post, KatieEgleston summed it up perfectly. Good luck.

Sep 1, 2007
The more time you spend thinking about non-issues like this, the less time you spend doing something...you know..actually useful.

Oct 24, 2007
AllanLuu said:
I really, really hope there is a hint of sarcasm.

Shodan said:
The more time you spend thinking about non-issues like this, the less time you spend doing something...you know..actually useful.

Wow, guys, what's with jumping all over people? Ashley Hall asked a legitimate question, is there any way to make her hands look better on a MAGIC/CARDISTRY video? That's her basic question, it has to do with performing, performing to lots of people on camera. She is asking for advice, not sarcastic comments.

The only time when sarcastic or negative comments are good is when they are constructive criticism comments. Other than that, well, I'm going to use a quote my grandma used to say...

Grandma said:
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Ashley Hall asks for help, you jump all over her and act all sarcastic. It's not appropriate or kind. Now, I'm not being all touchy feely, but lend the girl some help for a legitimate question instead of criticizing her and stating that her thread is "the second stupidest you've seen". After that comment I would have to agree with elitespart, don't click it!

If it really wasn't a legitimate post, don't you think Katie could have easily had it deleted?

Like I said before, no one will notice your hands if you perform well Ashley. So, don't be afraid to film it if your hands don't look great, your hands aren't what matter to people watching, it's your magic. ;)

Tyler

Sep 1, 2007
I thought my input was perfectly constructive, thank you very much. Worrying about aesthetics does get in the way of just getting on with it. So I didn't sugar coat it and stick a cherry on top - sometimes unadorned truth is best.

You made exactly the same point at the end of your post as I did in mine, so how about hopping off that high horse for a while, eh?

Nov 25, 2007
This post has been edited, thanks to all of the awesome and uber cool magic kiddos here at Theory11. Your advice and professionalism regarding my many postings here on this site has been invaluable....

Ashley, I have the same problem. My hands, and the rest of my body, is quite pale, but here is somthing that helps me: I know this will sound a little ridiculous, but the color of card I use and the contrast with my hands plays a part in how my hands look. If I am performing during the winter when it is cold and my hands are cold and get red I tend to use blue cards and the contrast of my pale, white hands and the blue of the bikes takes attention away from the redness in my hands.
Hope I helped,
Robbie

AllanLuu

Banned
Aug 31, 2007
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Allanluu and Mike, I'm not going to "bash or make fun of" someones post that is legit in it's content, I for one am someone that does actually care about the asthetics of my performance, let me ask you this... do you not think Copperfield thinks the same way I do? Or any other professional performer? Take a look at the precision that goes into every performance, that meticulous attention to detail is in my opinion why David is who he is as a performer. As someone else stated "I'm just being paranoid". well, maybe or maybe not, I just want my presentations to be the best they can be for my audience... whomever that may be at the time. Let me ask yet another question.... would you say the same thing about Copperfield or Lance Burton, Jeff Mc Bride.... are they just being paranoid over the seemingly miniscuel details of there shows? I think you will find the answer a resounding... no.

I saw the profiles with your ages and I understand that you both are probably frusterated with your magic at this time in your life. I was the same way at your age. I felt that disatisfaction that I'm sure most young performers feel just trying to make a living or a partial living doing what you are and I greatly admire the dedication you have put into doing what you are. Bravo, and I am looking forward to seeing some of your work if you would like to post it on the forums. I just have one more honest question for both of you.... Am I in anyway, or have I threatened your magic?

This is in all honesty the most loving answer I can give.... like I staed before I'm not "into bashing on others posts", so I don't want you to think I am going to rip you to shreds because frankly I'm not into tearing apart a 15 and 17 year old kid...

Me and Mike maybe cousins but that does not at all influence anything that I say or do on that site, however I can't speak for both of us.

First, I know you are not bashing, this is a discussion forum not a bashing forum and same goes for me, don't take this the wrong way. I understand that you want to look good, which is perfectly fine, but is it really somthing that belongs in the discussion of magic? Maybe goto a cosmetic store at your local mall or find a forum about skin care. I can understand if you are asking on how to improve your PERFORMANCE and not your SKIN. Sure you want to look good and I understand why you are refering to David Copperfield, but he performs infront of thousands of people, his appearence matters, do you think a bunch of magicians really care about what your hands look like? Maybe if you pere putting together a promo, that may be understanding.

I hope you don't take my post the wrong way.

, I for one am someone that does actually care about the asthetics of my performance, let me ask you this... do you not think Copperfield thinks the same way I do? Or any other professional performer?

Personally i don't think david copperfield would go "Oh No My Hands are Slightly Red or Pale no one is gonna like me anymore", he lets his charismatic performance and amazing illusions outshine that.

I just want my presentations to be the best they can be for my audience... whomever that may be at the time.

That's Fantastic but like i said earlier if your effects or flourishes are truly performed right and the performance is good and entertaining NO ONE is gonna go "oh my god her hands were red, she was a terrible performer"

I saw the profiles with your ages and I understand that you both are probably frusterated with your magic at this time in your life. I was the same way at your age. I felt that disatisfaction that I'm sure most young performers feel just trying to make a living or a partial living doing what you are and I greatly admire the dedication you have put into doing what you are.

I'm Sorry? But what in the world does this have to do with YOUR HANDS. And i am not at all frustrated with my magic. As of right now it is purely a hobby and if someday i decide to make it a part time job or a way to earn some extra cash then we can discuss this statement.

Bravo, and I am looking forward to seeing some of your work if you would like to post it on the forums. I just have one more honest question for both of you.... Am I in anyway, or have I threatened your magic?
I will definitely inform you when our work gets put up. Expect it in the coming weeks to month. And to answer your question, No you have not threatened my magic at all. Even if you did that would not have affected what i said in my earlier post. And I have a question for you, Why should i feel threatened at all? I haven't seen any videos at all from you, or any posts relating to anything but david copperfield or something he did.

This is in all honesty the most loving answer I can give.... like I staed before I'm not "into bashing on others posts", so I don't want you to think I am going to rip you to shreds because frankly I'm not into tearing apart a 15 and 17 year old kid...

You know what? I'm not into bashing others posts either, what i did I will stand behind 110% i don't hide my real name, its out in the open due to the fact that i DO stand behind what i say and wouldn't say it if i didn't stand behind it.

I may sound like a broken record but I still agree with Allan, something like the question you asked may be better off being asked to a dermatologist or someone that works at a make-up store at your mall or in your city,it may even be a good idea to ask at Superhandz or Handlordz due to the fact they deal with their hands all the time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results