Shanku's Guide to "Breaking-In" a New Deck

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
A lot of people have been asking for help on how to break in a new deck and here's a fairly simple yet thorough guide:

Step 1: Wash your hands in warm soapy water and dry thoroughly...
Step 2: Open the new pack somehow...
Step 3: Remove the advertisement/sudoku/whatever cards but leave the jokers in if you want to...
Step 4: Do a nice riffle shuffle and bridge; turn the deck 180° and do another riffle shuffle and bridge. Do this again and then turn the deck face up and repeat the riffle shuffles...
Step 5: Do two LePaul spreads and turn the deck 180° and do another two LePaul Spreads. Do this face up twice and face down twice...
Step 6: Do two springs then turn the deck face up and do another two springs.
Step 7: Do a few pressure fans face up and down and throw in an "Under-pressure" or two...
Step 8: Do a few of your favourite flourishes...
Step 9: Replace the deck back into the pack and put it into a porper or under a few heavy books and leave it there for about two hours before using it again so you have a nice cool, broken-in deck...

So to recap what we have done to break in our new deck:
riffle shuffle face down and bridge x2, turn 180° and riffle shuffle face down and bridge x2, riffle shuffle face up and bridge x2, turn 180° and riffle shuffle face up and bridge x2, LePaul spread face down x2, turn 180° and LePaul spread face down x2, LePaul spread face up x2, turn 180° and LePaul spread face up x2, spring face down x2, spring face up x2, pressure fans face down, under-pressure face down, pressure fans face up, under-pressure face up, a few of your favourite flourishes, back in the deck to cool down...

All this should take less than 5 minutes to do.

Note: Everyone has a different understanding and feel of "broken-in" so what feels best for you is broken-in.

Hope this helps...

Cheers,

Shanku

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
hey it works really well, I luv it when I finish breaking in the deck, the deck just just happens to be so perfect :p

I read those steps on DnD or decknique I think :p

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
that was funny and interesting at the same time

BUT to people that aren't as advanced as some of us are on here, what would they do if they didn't flourish or LePaul?

If you can't flourish or LePaul, then just do a few more riffle shuffles with waterfalls. I'm pretty sure you can at least do a half-decent spring so try that out.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results