Show this Saturday!

Mar 2, 2008
A house a couple down from mine is having a graduation party and the father asked me if i could do a half hour to a hour of walk around.

I need some hard hitting effects that i can learn in 2 days.....

Hahahaha I'm just kidding around :). I have all my perfected close up tricks ready to go and i have scripts for everyone.

Tricks I will performing...

Sponge balls (Clasic routine, two in hand one in pocket, 10 count)
Coins (scotch and soda, one coin routine, three coin routine)
Cards (ACR, biddle, triumph ect)
Bill switch (1 to 10)
Wodden finger chopper
Ring leader

This is my first walk around gig and I just want to know how I should show my tricks.

All of them to differnt groups of people at once?
Walk around and do one trick to everyone then swap out?
Possibly combined couple of routines together?

Advice please

just go to groups that look like they r having a good time.
do your most visual trick, maybe sponge balls, or bill switch. if you do sponge balls, you have to be very excited and very fun to start with that.
thats the biggest thing. make it seem like you are having fun too. then everyone else will.

after that first trick you can usually tell if someone /a group is interested. and saying its a grad party, im sure they will be. then u can move on.
try to have two or three 10 min trick line ups that you can do solid. then u can branch off from there.
but you can always just do 3 or 4 tricks then be like. thank you. i'll be walking around for the next hour or 2 so tell your friends and i'll be showing more magic to other people (or how ever u want to say it)

the reason u have 2 or 3 'routines" is so the last group (if they did enjoy) will follow u and see a totaly different routine

the list of tricks look great. but remember pocket management.
bring some extra cards (decks) and marker, and bussiness cards. rubber band tricks are sick too. they hit hard and are super easy to carry around.

but yea you are doing alot of the tricks that i do when i walk around.

but yea keep a good personality
make sure u show the grad kid and his parents. also other parents around.

if you know people there its good too, but if not, hey by the end you should be everyones friend

just go and do it. and the first person u "contact' will most likely be the hardest to get up to.
but just go in for it.
you'll have a blast!

Jul 8, 2008
Well it soudns like you have quite the arsenal of effects to fall back on. You really don't need to bring too much with you. What you have now is fine, but scratch the finger chopper. It isn't too immusing to people anymore lol. Plus it isn't ver portable and it sounds like a guy of your age has no reason to be carrying around a wooden guiltine lol.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
I will second that...leave the finger chopper at home. That doesn't fit a walk around gig very well. I know it is a cool gimmick and people do like them but I'd save it for more of a formal show.

Everything else on your list looks great. You definitely need to learn some rubber band magic for the future. I use them all of the time and people go nuts over them.

Good luck and have fun. Smile, laugh, and enjoy yourself. Hopefully you will get more gigs from this one. That is normally how it happens so have your business cards ready.

Mar 2, 2008
Thank you guys!

I will ditch the finger chopper and learn rubber band tricks for the future.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
meh, i think keep the finger shopper as a backup if you have a good routine for it.

Not suer how many people will be there, but if there is 30 or less, be prepared for them to all turn and focus on you at once. I fit's a large group of friends, and they are all hanging out as a group (as opposed to 100 kids all mingling around in smaller groups), then they will likely gather fairly quickly once you start getting some loud reactions. Be prepared for your first stand-up show!
Break a leg!

Justin

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results