Snap Change 1-on-1 by Michael Hankins Review

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Saw that no one posted a review on this baby. Most likely because there are other resouces that many T11/Dan and Dave fans already have which teach Ed Marlo's Snap Change, like DnD's Tricks DVD (Twinsplit Remix), EverythingElse DVD (Click Change), the Commercial 1-on-1, and D+M's Glitch (which I don't have).

In order to tease the above target-market to purchase this baby, T11 gave it a $3.95 price point, and included two other variations on the move: the Tap Change; and the Triple Snap Change, both of which I assume were developed by Mike. The Big Question for me and the many that have the above resources: "Are the two variant effects worth the $4 as they're just applications of what I already know?"

For the last two weeks, I've been waiting to see if anyone's purchased this and posted a review. Haven't found one so I figured I'd spend the $4 and take one for the team. Here you go:

As always production value and sound editing are all aces consistent with anything T11 puts out. If you have the Harbor Change, you know how much of a character Mike is, which not only shows you his quick wit and sense of humor, but also how seasoned a performer he is in his delivery. Dude has great chops and I'd love to see him perform one day.

Teaching of the Snap Change's basic handling is straight forward. Compared to Dave Buck's explanation, they're pretty much the same -- neither teacher one-ups the other regarding nuances or finesses on the sleight. They each cover technique, sound, and angles. The Dave mentions to perform the slieght at eye level; Mike mentions to point the face of the card square to the spec's eyes, thus you can really perform the slieght at any level and not flash the technique.

There is one gem, but it's found on the last non-verbal Over-The-Shoulder review and not explained, emphasized nor touched on. After the slieght is executed, he cleans up in full view of the spec with a motion that's totally motivated and natural.

I'm not going too much into the variant moves, because I'm assuming that most of you are really just wondering if the 1-on-1 is worth it.

The Tap Change, cool variation, another one I'll have to practice to fit my petite filipino hands. Note: This varation leaves you instantly clean!

Hankin's Triple Snap, will surprise your magician friends with a second color change as that's a pretty unothodox thing to do.

Remember this is just a Color Change. The two simplest applications of the move in a routine is: 1) Showing the spec that you have ability to change 1 indifferent card into another indifferent card; or 2) as a botched up Reveal -- "Is this your card? (showing wrong card)" "No Magic Boy," says the spec. Then execute the change, revealing the Spec's Chosen Card.

Just in the T11's 1-on-1 section alone, we see 9 other Color Changes/Card Switches:
Gorrilla - Dan Hauss and Dan White
Harbor - Michael Hankins
VCR - Apollo Robbins
MacMillan Switch - Jason England
Glitch - D+M
Strike Change - Aaron Fisher
El Cambio Nada - Eric Jones
The Classic Color Change - JB
Commercial - Dan and Dave Buck

So unless you're a change fiend, the real question is: Off the preview, are these variants something that you can put into a routine? Will it enhance your effects? Does it make sense with your character and presentation style?

Am I satisfied with my purchase? Yes I am. It's another tool in my belt and another slieght to work on -- yet another different way to familiarize my hands with the possibilities of working with cards.

Did I need yet another change? No. In my close up act, I very rarely use Color Changes at this point.

If you're a beginner, this is a great place to start, but I'd recommend spending the extra buck for DnD's Commercial as 1) the sleight is taught in context of a trick, and 2) your ability to end clean is a great improvement to the basic sleight.

And don't get me wrong... This is a great 1-on-1, actually worth more than the $4 price tag. But it's value is relative -- is it a need or a want? Every magician should have a Color Change under their belt. But do you need a new "Favorite Method"? or another change so as to not give away the method of the last color change your spec saw? Can you incorporate it into your act?

Hope the community found this valuable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Thanks for the kind words bro! The DnD's Commercial is badass no doubt. For me, it was more or less wanting to get the 2 variations out there for the public to see. The Triple Snap change is what fools the HELL outta magicians, so I love to save that move for the conventions and such. Though I DO use it in my sets too...

The Tap change ends you clean right away as well...or ass-swell...WHATEVER.

I appreciate the kind words and I would love to send you a box of your favorite cereal!!!

Mike

Mike.Hankins

creator / <a href="http://www.theory11.com/tricks/
Nov 21, 2009
Sacramento, Cali
Lol...
JP, YEA YEA...MY BUST! I called it the Trip Snap b/c 3 cards are revealed, with 2 snaps...
GEEZ man...don't judge me! :) LOL...

Sep 2, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Holy Crap! Michael Hankins replied to my review!!!

Regarding the Triple Snap, I was going to mention that it would surprize magicians, especially 4 to 5 months from now when the general community that didn't purchase this will have forgotten about this 1-on-1.

I've already edited the review to reflect that your Tap Change leaves you clean.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results