Sorry, but this must be said...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Well, 2 weeks in, and no exposure vids...
Yet...

But with the products that have been released about the only thing that could be exposed would be the 1-on-1 section.

Aug 31, 2007
You can't stop it. As much as it sucks there is nothing illegal about revealing how to do a trick through a crappy performance or even posting a home made tutorial for that matter. Reporting will most likely get you nowhere. The only way I see to REDUCE the number of exposure videos is make people more aware of what they are doing. Get the word out to those who post videos without performing and those artards who buy effects not to perform but only to post tutorials. But even that doensn't have a big chance of success. Maybe if enough people do it...but many magicians don't let those exposure videos bother them because a small small percentage of the people they perform to will have any knowledge that there are even such videos out there.

if you really want to stop it think about this: why does every joe smoo magic screw up want to teach stuff to people they don;t know. i don;t hink the problem can ever be addressed until its really understood as far as the motivation goes

guys i do want to say its much less of a problem when your older. i know in school youtibe is all the rave and this and that. but im 25 my peers don;t get a rats behind about going to you tube to find magic video explanations.

-Ty

Sep 1, 2007
Australia
I don't get it...

I've never... EVER had a problem with exposure. Whenever I've been caught out (and it's happened) it's been my own fault, with a flash or a fumble. There has never been anyone that's said, "I know how you did that I saw it on youtube". Ever! And yes, I perform 2CM frequently! In all the times I've performed it, I've had two guys (one being my friend) come up to me after my performance and compliment on how well I performed as opposed to to the people on youtube.

We need to adapt! Yes exposure is bad. Yes it sucks that people can find our tricks when we pay good money. But it's not as big a problem as we like to make it out to be! And if it is for you, then we might need to work on your performance. In that respect exposure is a good thing, as it pushes us past our comfort zones, which is always fun :D

Ty

Is this possibly the same idea as music exposure on the net? The mp3 phenomenon has brought about music piracy- aren't bad youtube videos 'magic piracy'? they're taking the ideas of brilliant magicians (who are artists) and exposing them with disregard to the time and effort that the people who created the idea have put into it.

lay people that know... don;t know well enough. if your moves fit seemlessly into your routines, they won;t know your doing the thigns they saw on youtube. make sense. i think aaron fisher has some writting on a similar topic in his book

Sep 1, 2007
UK
Ive just finished reading through this thread and so will now give my opinion.

Firstly I can't stand the state of things at the moment with exposure and the lack of respect many seem to have towards our art, I would love to put a stop to it once and for all... but at the same time I don't let it effect me too much as I don't want to waste any of my time thinking about them.

There is exposure etc in so many places that putting a stop to it would be extremely difficult and to make it harder they are not actually doing anything illegal, unethical yes, disrespectful yes, damaging to our art yes, but not illegal.
To stop youtube is one thing... but what about putfile, google video and all the other video hosting sites??
And on top of them we have all the p2p file sharing programs to contend with.

I don't think we should want a stop to online magic retailers as without them I would not be how I am today. I also wouldn't want a stop to pdf and video downloads as I enjoy being able to recieve an item instantly and getting stuck straight in.

One idea would be to up the price on all magical related purchases... this would stop people being so willing to freely share the material and stop people without a true interest in purchasing the items.
Of course this would then be unfair to us as we know that some items really aren't worth a lot, I mean could you imagine paying 60-70 quid for 'Hole in the Head'... Oh there'd be a hole in my head alright... straight after I squeeze the trigger.

There could be a system implemented where to be accepted for full access to forums you have to have posted a certain amount of informative and genuine posts. They could have a really high limit so that the people who aren't really interested will not stay around and take the time and effort to gain access to such a place.
But then with this there is the question of what would happen to all of us... I mean to be fair to everyone we'd all have to start again (well except for the highly regarded performers)... I wouldn't be exactly thrilled about that.

Another thing could be to remove all listings of magic forums and shops from search engines such as google etc... then that'd make it so magical related things can't be searched for.
This would be good but again there is a downside, since we can't find the places by searching we may never get to experience or have the oportunity to perform certain things.

Questions to gain access is kinda pointless as it's easy enough to just google whatever they ask.

One thing I have noticed is that it does appear to be those of a younger age who see these things on youtube, ive never had an adult ever say they saw how something was done on youtube after/during performance.

I really do wish there was a way to stop this, but maybe at this time stopping it completely is a bit beyond our reach. We should definitely work towards it though, and maybe together, little by little, we can one day put an end to it once and for all.

Thanks. :p

Sep 4, 2007
new york
I agree a lot with you i can't stand exposure but what i didn't like about what you said was "all these E-kids exposing" its not just E members. I'm only 13 and exposure to me is like going up to vincent van gough and rip his art work that he did. Every person that exposes needs to get a life why expose magic tricks that maybe even they paid for. Stpid stuff.

dcsscd

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Lets start by reporting every video on youtube that .

when are people going to understand that youtube is the less of the problem?

its like saying that the global warming and world wide contamination is just fault of USA and that we must do something against them.

erase youtube from the list and you still have a lot of ways and sites where people expose magic, and in a more high level than youtube.

and if you report every single video exposing magic on youtube, some of them are just going to move to another site, then you would not be talking about youtube, you will be talking about another site, and so on.

want to stop the exposure of magic, then stop the high marketing of it. as sad as it sound but if for example no one sells magic and bring new dvd's or books from where are going to take his new exposing material that users of youtube?
and we must find the methods and effects by ourself (what is better for us and the art, i think) keeping the secrets of the magic.
and stop suporting tv programs like criss angel

Mar 14, 2008
Totally agree. But I don't think its possible to stop magic exposure because it's not illegal (unless the video is copyrighted). There's always going to be someone revealing tricks on a videosharing website. So far, I think Theory11 is doing pretty good job though. I have yet to see any tricks revealed from here.

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Totally agree. But I don't think its possible to stop magic exposure because it's not illegal (unless the video is copyrighted). There's always going to be someone revealing tricks on a videosharing website. So far, I think Theory11 is doing pretty good job though. I have yet to see any tricks revealed from here.

Have I introduced you to a chap named Dylan P?

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
Have I introduced you to a chap named Dylan P?

*laughs*

What Jakeh is trying to say is...dead threads do not need to be revived. There's a reaon no comments are on them anymore. The last time there was a comment on this thread was September 14th, 2007 07:09 PM. Some of the responses, or the topic as a whole of a dead thread could be irrelevant now. Also, revived dead threads are usually subject to being closed by a mod. Which is probably going to happen...

-ThrallMind

Oct 30, 2007
Slovenia,Ljubljana
I have to say you made a big mistake. NOT ALL E-KIDS ARE N00BS THAT PUBLISH videos of EXPOSURE. There are a lot of guys and girls there that wants to learn this beautiful art.

BUT FOR THOSE WHO PUBLISH THOSE F-IN VIDEOS OF EXPOSURE. STOP! It's ruining or joy of life.

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
Guys,

This thread has been dead for well over six months. We try encourage members from not bumping threads that have been dead for more than several months. But as the thread has gone off on a tangent, I am going to go ahead and lock this thread so as not to bring up dead topics.

Thanks guys :)
TDA

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results