Stage Card Magic

Oct 31, 2014
Spain
Hello everyone! On Saturday, I'll be contesting on a talent show (super small one, no more than 100 ppl). It is my very first time on a stage, performing magic to more than 10 people. I just perform card magic, but on the stage, I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about signed card to shoe. Any other suggestions?

*Disclaimer: I did no took it without being ready. Some of my friends made me sing up.*

Thank you guys!

Aug 14, 2014
Canada
Hello everyone! On Saturday, I'll be contesting on a talent show (super small one, no more than 100 ppl). It is my very first time on a stage, performing magic to more than 10 people. I just perform card magic, but on the stage, I don't know what to do. I've been thinking about signed card to shoe. Any other suggestions?

*Disclaimer: I did no took it without being ready. Some of my friends made me sing up.*

Thank you guys!
At this point, if its on Saturday and its that close, just do whatever you are comfortable with, because 2 days is NOT enough time to get fully comfortable with an unfamiliar effect.

If you know any card (or piece of card) to impossible location tricks, those would be good. Or the Invisible Deck. I think the card to impossible location is a great one because it takes the audience away from just the pack of cards. Simple but effective.

Stage presence is also a thing but I'm by no means a professional so there's what I think from experience

Reactions: davebarr98

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah

Thank you guys!

Signed card to shoe would work fine. Make sure to bring the participant on stage with you. Other magic that works well on stage include cards across, tossed out deck, card sword (I use Capsoul by Deepak Mshra when the need arises), card stab, on a table or wrapped in newspaper, third eye by Jay Sankey, smart A*$ by Bill Abbot or card to orange.

Even just forcing a card or cards and revealing them on stage in creative ways can really play big.

Hello davebarr98! First off I would just like to say good luck with your talent show and thank you for representing the performing art of magic at the venue.

As far as stage magic goes, I try not to do anything that really falls under the brand of "cardistry". Not that there is anything wrong with cardistry, but if you set up a plot such as an oil and water effect, it might bore the audience because you are explaining the "set up" to them as you go along if that makes sense. So what I try to do is go for a more "organic" kind of feel for stage magic. Stuff that is done with cards that seem practically impossible without an audience member thinking that maybe it was all in the fancy shuffles and sleight of hand.

Card to shoe will definitely fit the bill on that because I would classify that as organic magic because a selected card that seemingly gets transported to a shoe that you have been wearing the entire time is pretty amazing and not something an audience member would think is all done with a rigged deck or anything like that. The Invisible Deck is pretty good as well because it's easy and an audience member can't accuse it of just being sleight of hand. I'm a fan of rising decks as well as performing the Haunted Deck trick with either loops or an ITR.

Outside of those recommendations, I believe your key to a successful performance will be in on how entertaining you and not really what effect you are using. You can go with my suggestions or not, but in the end it will all be about how you are as a performer. The trick I have discovered to getting an audience to like me is having the audience included in as many effects as possible. It allows me to communicate more naturally and have more fun thus the audience is having more fun. Once again, best of luck to you!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I'm a fan of rising decks as well as performing the Haunted Deck trick with either loops or an ITR.

The rising card could be a great choice, it is visual, magical and easily understood. I would avoid a haunted deck that is perform flat though, that would be less easy to see. Your audience would view the deck edge on.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results