Studying EATCT

Jul 18, 2010
hey guys i want to know how u guys study The book expert at the card table? do u guys read while having the deck infront of you and doing the moves or is there any other ways u guys did?

Apr 20, 2010
Yes, typically. I know that there was also an EATCT dvd released if you're more of a visual learner.

Sep 2, 2007
London
hey guys i want to know how u guys study The book expert at the card table? do u guys read while having the deck infront of you and doing the moves or is there any other ways u guys did?

This is a really hard question because people's learning styles vary wildly. This is additionally complicated with Erdnase because sometimes you get an extra little tip on a move from something later in the book, so it's not as simple as learning one technique thoroughly and then moving on. It can definitely be useful to get the fingers working, and the muscle memory starting, as you go through the book, but the true student will keep going back over what he has learned to hone and perfect.

As regards the DVD issue, I own both the Wesley James and Allan Ackerman sets. You can safely ignore Wesley James' one, except maybe as a source of comedy. The Ackerman set is superb in many ways, especially the extras covering the history of the book and the identity issue. Be aware, though, that it's still not completely definitive. Allan Ackerman is a great card man, but I think there's room for debate on his interpretation of some of the moves.

Jul 18, 2010
Thanks for the reply guys! Hmmm, to me i think i will need more time to study erdnase, intensive studying :)

Nov 19, 2007
Toronto
www.BenTrain.ca
No room for debate as far as Allan's changing certain moves. He did. And he cares enough to tell us when.

The book can be studied with cards in front. And often it should.

But it can also be read through without any cards. And it's a great read.

I love the book, and read it fairly often. It's worth looking at.

Ben

Oct 9, 2011
California
Im Also studying EATCT:) i study by text & video. The mechanics for certain moves are a little hard for me to interpret through text. So from my perspective text and video are the best way to perfect sleights.

Sep 2, 2007
London
No room for debate as far as Allan's changing certain moves. He did. And he cares enough to tell us when.

In general, yes he does tell us when, but there are a couple of instances (Longitudinal Shift for example), where he performs the move differently from the way it's described in the text without mentioning that he's varied it. It's still a great DVD set though, and definitely worth picking up for the Erdnase student.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Read it slowly with cards cards in hand. When you get a move down take video of it to help you out later.

Dec 12, 2010
I really want to read it, but haven't gotten around to it, because I'm working through modern coin magic right now. :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results