Tables

Aug 5, 2017
Greetings y'all fellow magicians, this is my first post here, not really sure if it's at the right place...

So, I have been doing some street magic for a few months now and really want to have my first restaurant gig. In the streets, I just walk up to people perform my stuff and get a few bucks, but in restaurants, people are on tables and I don't want to be invading their space, nor limiting myself to tricks that do not require tables (I would love for example to perform my twist on the cups and balls routine which I couldn't perform on the streets).
I guess the solution is an external table that I could easily carry around. What table should I get? What do you guys use? Any help from the more experienced ones is more than welcome!

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
If you are looking for an external table, it needs to be something you can carry around with you, right?

Get a small, cheap folding table, something that a sitting spectator could look down onto. Then, get a cheap performance mad and use some hot glue to just put it onto it. If you are worried about it getting dirty as you transport it, you could probably put a pillow case over the top, and tie it under the table top, protecting the pad on the inside.

Hope that helps!

Aug 5, 2017
If you are looking for an external table, it needs to be something you can carry around with you, right?

Get a small, cheap folding table, something that a sitting spectator could look down onto. Then, get a cheap performance mad and use some hot glue to just put it onto it. If you are worried about it getting dirty as you transport it, you could probably put a pillow case over the top, and tie it under the table top, protecting the pad on the inside.

Hope that helps!
I aleady have a VDS mat which I was planning to put on the table.
Do you mean that my table should be lower (in terms of height) than the spectator's? Why? After a bit of research, I found this https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Prem...efinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin:3242350011

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I aleady have a VDS mat which I was planning to put on the table.
Do you mean that my table should be lower (in terms of height) than the spectator's? Why? After a bit of research, I found this https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Premium-Dimensions-Measuring-Uniqueware/dp/B06XCMDBLV/ref=sr_1_5?s=furniture&ie=UTF8&qid=1502006702&sr=1-5&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin:3242350011
Well it doesn't have to be, but if it is around or higher than the spectator's eye level, wouldn't that be pretty awkward? I mean, when you perform on a table, they are looking down onto the cards/coins/whatever right?

I think a better way to phrase it would have been "Get a table roughly the same height as the average table you will be performing for".

Reactions: Magnanimus
Jun 11, 2017
Well it doesn't have to be, but if it is around or higher than the spectator's eye level, wouldn't that be pretty awkward? I mean, when you perform on a table, they are looking down onto the cards/coins/whatever right?

I think a better way to phrase it would have been "Get a table roughly the same height as the average table you will be performing for".

Yep, so you could flip it out the same time as your clown hat. With bunny balls rolling off...

Jun 11, 2017
Greetings y'all fellow magicians, this is my first post here, not really sure if it's at the right place...

So, I have been doing some street magic for a few months now and really want to have my first restaurant gig. In the streets, I just walk up to people perform my stuff and get a few bucks, but in restaurants, people are on tables and I don't want to be invading their space, nor limiting myself to tricks that do not require tables (I would love for example to perform my twist on the cups and balls routine which I couldn't perform on the streets).
I guess the solution is an external table that I could easily carry around. What table should I get? What do you guys use? Any help from the more experienced ones is more than welcome!

Side step and twist. Limit yourself to tables at first if you're doing table stuff. If they like it, then pull out the weird table.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Not sure to really understand your point there...
What weird table?
I honestly have no idea what he just said.

I think bringing your own table is a good idea. Espescially depending on the size of the tables already present. I mean, I would hate to be the guy who reaches over someone's Chicken Parmesan just to hand someone a coin. Bringing your own table or performance mat also tells people you're legit. It's like having your own domain to perform in.

Reactions: Magnanimus
Aug 5, 2017

I think bringing your own table is a good idea. Espescially depending on the size of the tables already present. I mean, I would hate to be the guy who reaches over someone's Chicken Parmesan just to hand someone a coin. Bringing your own table or performance mat also tells people you're legit. It's like having your own domain to perform in.

That's what I wanted to hear... thx. Does anyone have a picture of a decent table?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Honestly I've been strolling and restaurant work for 18 years and I've never used a table for that type of venue. I'm not saying its wrong, but its one more thing that gets in the way of servers and waitresses and forces you to carry something. Just my two cents.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jul 28, 2015

Usually when working a restaurant you're there to entertain and kill time for the guests waiting to be served be it at a table or a crowd outside waiting in line, I mean thats what they're really paying for, so when the food finally gets to the table you should be wrapped or wrapping things up

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Usually when working a restaurant you're there to entertain and kill time for the guests waiting to be served be it at a table or a crowd outside waiting in line, I mean thats what they're really paying for, so when the food finally gets to the table you should be wrapped or wrapping things up
I know. I was kinda using it as an example. But still, their a drinks, and things on the tables, personal belongings, etc. If he wants to use a table, then he probably should use a table, right?

Jul 28, 2015
I know. I was kinda using it as an example. But still, their a drinks, and things on the tables, personal belongings, etc. If he wants to use a table, then he probably should use a table, right?
Well imo it's more of a hassle than anything to be carrying a table around also most pros doing restaurant work don't even bother with a close up pad

Jul 28, 2015
If your doing or thinking about doing restaurant work I would recommend you pick up Jim Sistis The Magic Menu, it's basically a book on effects for the restaurant workers, highly recommend

Aug 5, 2017
Honestly I've been strolling and restaurant work for 18 years and I've never used a table for that type of venue. I'm not saying its wrong, but its one more thing that gets in the way of servers and waitresses and forces you to carry something. Just my two cents.
Good point there.
In that case can I ask you what tricks you perform? Is cups and balls/chop cup a good idea (especially when there are kids on the table, plus I created a little twist on the original plot with a new patter, etc ?)

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
You can do a chop cup routine on a very small close up pad if you wish. I do a lot of things where the magic happens in their hands or I do magic that I hold up chest level at the end of the booth table for all to see. It's tough the moment you lay things down on tables because then not everyone can see the cards, coins or objects. I do a mismade bill routine, Warning by Kostya, and other items that are very visual. People don't really like it if you start grabbing silverware or glasses to make room for your magic props so I try to keep things up high chest level or in their hands. I'm not saying this is the only way to go. I've seen magicians physically care a small table all over restaurants but I simply refuse to do so. Everything (9 effects are on me) in my sports coat ready to go. 3 sets of 3.

Aug 5, 2017
You can do a chop cup routine on a very small close up pad if you wish. I do a lot of things where the magic happens in their hands or I do magic that I hold up chest level at the end of the booth table for all to see. It's tough the moment you lay things down on tables because then not everyone can see the cards, coins or objects. I do a mismade bill routine, Warning by Kostya, and other items that are very visual. People don't really like it if you start grabbing silverware or glasses to make room for your magic props so I try to keep things up high chest level or in their hands. I'm not saying this is the only way to go. I've seen magicians physically care a small table all over restaurants but I simply refuse to do so. Everything (9 effects are on me) in my sports coat ready to go. 3 sets of 3.

Would you mind describing your sets, you seem to have a lot of experience in the restaurant business and I would like to get your internal perspective on the matter.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results