Taking A Break

Feb 22, 2015
Hey everyone. I am just here to ask a quick question that has been upon my mind for a couple of weeks now. I am wondering if any of you have done or even attempted to take a break from magic. I have quite a few hobbies. I like to exercise by doing a workout program called, P90x. I love to get out and hike, play sports, and even hang out with friends. I also like to do stuff inside also. Such as play video games, browse the internet, and all different kinds of stuff. Now I am at a time that I am looking at magic and cardistry as a bit of a chore to do. And I don't want it to be like that. I also am having a bit of a hard time finding what type of magic that I like. So, what I am really asking is whether or not it is a good idea and if I is beneficial to one's self to take a break from magic and cardistry. Thanks In advance and have a great day!

Jan 28, 2015
Hey Justin,

As magicians we can spend extreme amounts of time dedicated to just that one thing and depending where you find yourself at in life, it can get a little complicated juggling everything that you've got going on, specifically if you have the responsibility of a family and job as many of us do.

If magic/cardistry is starting to become more of a chore than a love, then by all means take a break for a short period and use that extra time to enjoy your hobbies and to find your passion for magic again. You might find after a week or two of not having picked up any cards that you miss it and once you do get them back into your hands you have a newly found appreciation and fire for the art.

To find your magic, you have to find yourself.

|| Steven

Feb 22, 2015
Hey Justin,

As magicians we can spend extreme amounts of time dedicated to just that one thing and depending where you find yourself at in life, it can get a little complicated juggling everything that you've got going on, specifically if you have the responsibility of a family and job as many of us do.

If magic/cardistry is starting to become more of a chore than a love, then by all means take a break for a short period and use that extra time to enjoy your hobbies and to find your passion for magic again. You might find after a week or two of not having picked up any cards that you miss it and once you do get them back into your hands you have a newly found appreciation and fire for the art.

To find your magic, you have to find yourself.

|| Steven
Thanks so much for the reply, Steven! I really like the idea and it was what I pretty much had in mind also. Again, thank you and have a great day!

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I remember hearing that even Davis Williamson comes home from time to time saying tat he's done with magic.

I personally have made magic a constant part of my life for many years and when I get sick of one thing I move to another. There are so many facets to magic that I have found it difficult to let go completely. Then again after a few days straight of constant gigs and club meetings I think anyone might take a break.

That said some of my favorite people to watch do magic are hobbyists who only learn magic to break the ice or to entertain their kids and grand kids.

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I think it's absolutely frustrating not knowing what kind of magic to do. There's a lot out there and can be absolutely overwhelming just thinking about what you would want to do.

Now, unless you're already on break, I have a question: WHO do you want to perform for?

Kids? Adults? Teenagers? People on the street? People in a restaurant? Church groups? People at volunteer functions? Etc.

Once you have the WHO, the WHERE is soon to follow. From there, it becomes exponentially easier to narrow down what tricks would work for you.

Oh, then you have the whole 'what works for your character' thing too. But do you know who you want to perform for and where?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you need a break, take a break. If you want to continue, continue. It's as simple as that.

As for figuring out what magic you like and where to perform - What do you like to do? As in, what are you passionate about? Which type of magic goes along with that? Where would it be good to perform that kind of magic? Done.

For example: I really like ghost stories and other 'supernatural'/'paranormal' things. I like the ideas energy and things being connected. So all of my performance is built around those things and therefore, while I'm learning/practicing/rehearsing material - I'm also just learning about something I'm already into.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hey everyone!

Administrative note, having nothing to do with the topic at hand. Please make sure we all continue to respect each other. By all means, help each other out, but respect when someone is going through a rough time and aim your comments at helping rather than tearing down.

Thanks!

// L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results