Tannens Magic Camp

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
Yes, I went to tannens camp last year. It was awesome. I met a lot of great people and learned a lot of great things. If you are really into magic, definitely go.
-Alex

Jan 13, 2008
New York, USA
Your name sounds familiar. Were you the guy doing Genesis wherever you were?
Yeah, lol. And if my "mentalist powers" serve me correctly, you were the little dude doing faro shuffles whenever I saw you. And I wasn't doing genesis wherever I was, only the first day of camp when I was on the audition line, and you complimented me on my tally cards. haha. How have you been?

Sep 11, 2007
Hi,

I'm happy to shed some light on Tannen's Magic Camp and answer any questions you guys have. I'm coming up on my 16th year of going, at first as a camper, now as a counselor/instructor. I don't generally follow these boards, but every now and then I take a quick browse and when I saw Tannen's I perked up.

For anyone looking for confirmation on who's there I can say:
Yes, Criss Angel and David Copperfield have both stopped by. It's nice to see them take time out of their busy schedules to show support for magic's youth.

And yes, David Oliver is an instructor, and Kostya has also been an instructor for the past few years (although last year he had a prior commitment out of town).

While the bulk of the staff at Tannen's may not be well known in the magic community, they are all still quite talented, and I believe the diversity is a huge asset. There are many on the staff that are full time magicians, or involved in the magic business full time, but there are also many that have other jobs. Some are in marketing, teaching, engineering, video production, acting, etc. and each one brings something different to the table.

I'd also like to say something regarding skill levels and what to expect. We happily welcome all skill levels from "I just found out magic is spelled with an 'M"" to "My bottom-palm-lateral shift cut flip lift is so amazingly awesome you'll weep for months after only having heard about it". It's great to help the campers that attend and just as great to learn from them. So, you don't need to know a lot of tricks, just be open and willing to learn. In fact, I might even say that a lot of our emphasis isn't necessarily put on how tricks work, but how to perform them and make them your own.

Every day there are classes, lectures, & workshops, and a show each night. And guest magicians frequently stop by and donate their time to perform, help out in classes, or lecture on everything from how to book a birthday party show to magic history to deep theory on what magic means.

This is already starting to sound like an infomercial, so I'll stop, but I just wanted to help answer some questions for people that were curious about the camp.

Thanks,
-Derrin

Nov 4, 2007
Derrin! Good to hear from you! I know he doesn't want to say it, but Derrin is actually quite talented himself. He's a teacher, and his class last year was extremely fun. I look forward to seeing you again this year Derrin!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results