Tarantula by Yigal Mesika

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
Hey guys... i don't know whether it's proper to ask about a Ellusionist product on the T11 website, but I checked the Ellusionist forums and the T11 forums are much more active... So yeah.... And I saw other products from other websites but whatever.... ok.

Sooooo.... I just want to hear some reviews on The Tarantula by Yigal Mesika... Problem is, there are some VERY mixed reviews on this item... Some people hate it... Some people love it... Can you post your thoughts here?

Thanks,
Rupayan

Apr 20, 2010
Hey guys... i don't know whether it's proper to ask about a Ellusionist product on the T11 website, but I checked the Ellusionist forums and the T11 forums are much more active... So yeah.... And I saw other products from other websites but whatever.... ok.

Sooooo.... I just want to hear some reviews on The Tarantula by Yigal Mesika... Problem is, there are some VERY mixed reviews on this item... Some people hate it... Some people love it... Can you post your thoughts here?

Thanks,
Rupayan

I don't know the ellusionist price, but I guarantee the price is better at Mad hatters.

I love my tarantula. I use it for lots of things.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
I'm not a huge fan.

Don't get me wrong. Brilliant idea, and it works really well (though my first one broke, Yigal was fantastic about replacing it).

However,

Unless you specifically need a motorized reel for an effect, I wouldn't really bother.
You can do all of the same effects with traditional IT hookups, but the benefit is that you don't have a gimmick to hide (and although the Tarantula hides well, it's not beyond scrutiny). The effects he teaches, most of them don't use the reel feature, except to clean up after the effect (to retrieve the IT).

The benefits to the Tarantula:
- It is VERY easy to get IT ready -right in front of people. This is a huge bonus.
- Reel works great. Natural to use, works well, pretty strong, easy thread retrieval if thread breaks.

Cons:
- You can do most of the effects taught with regular IT and wax hookups.
- you are left dirty at the end (ie, you have the tarantula). Though if you are not being burned, it is pretty easy to hold out for a bit.
- a tad learning curve to using it naturally

I would recommend that you get it if you have a specific effect that you need to either get into in the middle of your set (that a traditional hookup wont allow), or if you have a specific trick that needs an electric reel.

I would recommend that you stick with thread and wax. You have nothing to ditch, setup is as easy as touching your belt or shirt button. People can burn your hands without worry. You have full use of your hands etc.

I bought Fearson's floating cigarette (which could be a nice effect to use with Smoke come to think of it...especially if you don't smoke or are in a non smoking environment...) a while ago. That hookup is amazing, and should inspire you in your IT work. I don't own the Master's Levitation System so I cannot comment.

Good luck with your purchase. Either way, the Tarantula is probably one of the best, if not the best, motorized reel out there.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I don't know the ellusionist price, but I guarantee the price is better at Mad hatters.

I love my tarantula. I use it for lots of things.

Wow I just checked Mad Hatters... That's extremely cheap.. I should buy stuff from there instead... Only problem is that I already bought the Tarantula from Ellusionist... Whatever too late....

Btw, thanks for the info, but as I said, I already bought it...

Jul 14, 2010
if anyone is interested,I m selling my Tarantula with everything you need :
extra spools/wax and battery

I ll sell the whole package for 40$

Sep 3, 2007

Thanks,
Rupayan

You won't be dissapointed. It's a good item. Not just to levitate a ring but should open up some creativity. It does matter how old you are/how big your hands are depending on the application.

Apr 20, 2010
Wow I just checked Mad Hatters... That's extremely cheap.. I should buy stuff from there instead... Only problem is that I already bought the Tarantula from Ellusionist... Whatever too late....

Btw, thanks for the info, but as I said, I already bought it...

No offense, but I find it rather odd that you would ask our opinions as to get an idea of whether or not to buy it and then buy it in under an hour.

Sep 3, 2007
No offense, but I find it rather odd that you would ask our opinions as to get an idea of whether or not to buy it and then buy it in under an hour.

So many of us fall into that same trap. We see it, we like it, we ask about it. And before we get any answers we buy it. Nothing wrong with that I don't think.

Apr 20, 2010
Granted, but on an active community I would expect an answer to almost any question quickly and would wait to see what the masses say, compared the a hyped site like E.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
So hey guys... I got the tarantula today... and I'm not too pleased... All those people who said it's awesome can you PLEASE help me? I don't get it... And DVD isn't helping much... The string already broke a couple of times, and sometimes the reel isn't working... Can someone who has it, please go on to some private chat or something and help me, or PM me about it?

Apr 20, 2010
PM specific problems. A string breaking is common and actually necessary in some effects, make a video on vimeo and password protect it.

The tarantula has a rather steep learning curve.

Good idea but very poorly executed. Like open circut boards and wires, in an end-user product is not good enough. I broke my first one with 2 days of having it. And I barly use my second one in worry of breaking it. Unless Yigal can make a more sturdy, less fragile version I wouldnt buy it.

J.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results